1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Bought Used 2005 Prius... Having Some Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nicolivolkov, Aug 12, 2007.

1. nicolivolkov

nicolivolkov New Member

Hi All,

I've never used a forum for cars, but I've found them to be VERY helpful for other stuff. I just bought a used 2005 Prius. It has 55,000 K miles. It runs great and feels almost brand new. I'm having a few issues however. The main thing is that my headlights don't work. The interior display shows that they're on, but nothing outside. THe high beams work fine but nothing for the low beams. I checked the "type A" fuses correlating to the headlights and they are fine. Is there anything else I can do to trouble shoot this issue on my own? I'm having the 60k service done soon, but would rather not wait.

I'm also trying to figure out how to get my ipod connected. I don't really like the FM modulators. I've done some research and it's seems my only option is to buy a specialty item at a very high price. Is there anything I can do to get a direct connection with high quality sound? THe Prius is 05, with the base model. It only has a CD player. Would it be wise to have a tape deck installed and then use a tape adapter?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for these two topics. This is my first car purchase and I'm very excited and want to make sure that I keep the car in good shape. Is there anything else I should consider other than the 60 K service? The carfax is clean and the owner was pretty good about the services but he definitely missed a few according to the records. Do I need to do a transmission tuneup (flush)??

Thanks guys...

2. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Goat @ Aug 12 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]494411[/snapback]</div>
    The only other time that happened to me was fixed by replacing the bulbs. This was not on a Prius however. Having owned both and FM modulator for an Ipod and a cassette adapter, I think you would be making a big mistake to purchase a cassette deck just to use a cassette adapter for your Ipod. They both sound about the same. Does the 2005 CD player read Mp3s? If so, you could just burn your music to a CD in mp3 format to get the sound quality you're looking for. It certainly isn't Ipod capacity but it might do for commuting.

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you go to toyotaownersonline.com, you can register and then see the maintenance requirements. But they should be in your owner's manual.

4. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Headlights... do not know... bulbs? as others have suggested.

The ipod issue is easier. There a a few aftermarket adaptors. I have a DICE system in my 2005... check out PriusChat's store. I installed it myself and ran the cord into the little storage box under the stereo. That way I can leave the iPod in the car if I want to and it and its cord are out of sight. It plugs into the factory stereo and there's some limited ability to see the tracks on the MFD and also use the track up and down steering wheel controls. There are other similar systems. All have their own problems, but in general, Ive been happy with mine. Search "DICE" on Priuschat as well.

Good luck! and welcome to PriusChat.

5. nicolivolkov

nicolivolkov New Member

Hey,

Thanks... How hard is it to install??? I found something called "Isimple" that looks very similar to DICE. Has anybody used it?

Also some people have said that those adapters only work with a CD changer, which I don't have. Do you have any knowedge on that matter? Did your 05 have a changer or single CD???

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Let's be clear whether we're talking about the HID (High Intensity Discharge) beams or not.

It's my understanding that the HID bulbs don't do "low" and "high" settings but rather it blocks some of the beam to simulate "low" and exposes the whole bulb for "high."

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Goat @ Aug 12 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]494411[/snapback]</div>
    Check the bulb.. it's possible that the low-beam filaments have blown. The headlight system uses one bulb for both high beam and low beam (hence you don't see the usual two sets of headlights on each side). This means the bulb has two filaments - one for low and one for high, and they work independently of each other. This means that if the low beam blows out, it doesn't affect the high beam and the high beam will still work.

I have a 2005 with a DICE kit. It sounds pretty good and you can control the iPod via the steering wheel or the radio. There's also CD-TEXT so it'll show artist, album and title.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 12 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]494449[/snapback]</div>

Tony... (and I quote) "THe Prius is 05, with the base model. "

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tony, based on your correct assertion about HID headlights and Green Goat's statement:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Goat @ Aug 12 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]494411[/snapback]</div>
    and <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Goat @ Aug 12 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]494411[/snapback]</div>
    I think it is safe to assume GG has halogen headlamps.

You're on the right track, GG, checking fuses first. It seems unlikely that the original owner would have driven without headlights. I'm guessing you got a manual since you seem to know where the fuses are located. If it's not the fuses (one for each side) it may be the lamp. You could buy two, from a place that will let you return them if it doesn't fix the problem, pull one lamp and plug in the new bulb and see if it lights. If it does, install the lamp and replace the other. If not, take them back and ask here again, maybe someone will have a better answer. How could the car be sold if it didn't have headlights? That seems like a safety issue.

As for the iPod adapter, the DICE unit plugs into the back of the radio and looks like a second CD changer to the head end. It's not too hard to install, there are instructions here on PC. My 2005 has the JBL sound system, but I think the wiring is the same. Vagabond is our local DICE expert.

Galaxee posted a great list of needed (and unneeded) services. The "transmission" on a Prius is not like one on any other car, so flushing is not quite so simple. Search here or with Google for discussion on pros and cons.

And welcome to PriusChat!

9. nicolivolkov

nicolivolkov New Member

Hey guy THANKS ALOT!!!

The DICE is what I'm gonna do. It seems like the most complete/reliable option. As for the headlights... I'll give it a shot today.

Quick question about the 60K sevice: They claim to do a transmission drain and refill as part of the service. Should I trust that they know what they're doing, or should I tell them to hold off? It is a certified toyota dealer, with a good rep...

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  11. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Goat @ Aug 12 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]494445[/snapback]</div>
    It uses the CD changer port on the back of the stereo that's there whether or not you have the CD changer. You'll use the "CD changer" mode on the stereo (which will appear once the DICE is connected) for DICE control.

The installation was quite easy once I deciphered it. The DICE kit did not come with very good instructions and as you may have noticed the "search" function on Priuschat is less than fully functional. Use google search instead. I am not a tech-head...just a middle-aged woman who's moderately handy. I do, however, still think of electricity as magical things that happen when I plug my electrical items in. College physics didn't help this idee fixe on my part. :p

Here's a the basic install procedure (for a VAIS, but the teardown and install is the same) http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&...ost&id=5767. The key to my installation was the 5 mm (I THINK...) socket to take out the main screw under the stereo (in step 5).

Another few points:
    1. install the DICE unit somewhere where you can access it easily in the future. A known bug is that very occasionally the MFD (the screen) will completely act as if it's totally broken. Even my dealer thought I needed a new one (under warranty) until I ran across this thread: http://priuschat.com/DICE-for-iPod-kills-M...ice-t34094.html . You just have to detach the DICE cable from the DICE unit (not behind the stereo) momentarily and then reconnect. I installed mine to the left of the lower glove box (vertically in the little space between the exterior of the glovebox and the wall to the left with a bit of velcro.) Pulling the glove box takes only a couple of seconds. With the bottom glovebox open, squeeze the sides of the box together near the rear and pull it right out.
    2. I drilled a small hole in the back of the little box below the stereo, as I said to run the cable from the DICE to the iPod. Makes concealing it easy, and little chance of accidentally leaving the 'pod in sight. You can set it and close the little door and there are no cords or anything else visible.
    3. Some people seem to prefer the VAIS iPod connector system, but I can't speak to that one and how it performs. Most problems seem to be with older DICE units and to the issue in #1 above. Many people have actually had the MFD replaced thinking the DICE had damaged the computer/screen. That issue happened exactly once to me so far, and was fixed in about 2 minutes once I knew what the problem was.
    4. I find it irritating that the DICE doesn't show the names of the playlists on the MFD, although it does show the name of the track, artist, album, etc. I have MANY playlists, and you can use the MFD/steering wheel controls to choose the next playlist, but unless you have the names memorized, it's often easier to choose the playlist on the iPod itself, and just use the up/down steering wheel buttons to switch between songs on the playlist. I don't know if the VAIS system fixes this problem.

Sonya

12. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Aug 13 2007, 05:04 PM) [snapback]495058[/snapback]</div>
    According to http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=37222= you have the playlist constantly and can cycle to see the artist, title and album. If you do want to change playlists via the iPod you press the SCAN button 8 times.

What I did was go to an AT&T site (based on a comment from this forum) which changed text to a .wav file. I made a .wav file of every title of my playlists then put that one as the first song. When you cycle through the playlists you hear which one it is. If you're looking at the MFD (in Title) you'll see the name too, but it's only for a second or so.

13. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 13 2007, 05:31 PM) [snapback]495076[/snapback]</div>
    That may work for some, but I'm a Mac user and use my iPod for synching (frequent updates including pocasts and audiobooks), burning, and my car and home stereo systems, so am not inclined to change to the .wav system.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    60K would probably be a good time for a tranny-fluid change [not flush],
    unless it's already been done. The used-oil-analysis crew seems to agree
    that 50K is what they'd recommend [with a fair degree of slop in the
    timing thereof] but definitely don't run the factory fill to 100K or
    whatever the "passport" says about it.
    _H*

15. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Aug 13 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]495151[/snapback]</div>
    I only meant that the first song on the playlist is a .wav file which says the name of that playlist, so you don't have to change anything else.

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Goat @ Aug 12 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]494411[/snapback]</div>
    "X Mile" Services are great marketing. They allow the Service Dept. to charge a lot more for the simple stuff you really need. Ask for the prices of the individual things then compare to the Service.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get copies of both the owner's manual and the maintenance schedule. They are separate documents; the owner's manual does not contain a maintenance schedule. The maintenance schedule can help you avoid wasting hundreds of dollars buying un-needed services that dealers always sell.

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 17 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]497812[/snapback]</div>
    Use this.

Attached Files:

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A