1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just changed brakes, now they are sticking. HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by laser411, Sep 25, 2017.

1. laser411

laser411 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius and I did not know you were supposed to disconnect the battery when you change your brakes. Before the brake change, everything was perfectly fine, afterwards they seem to be dragging pretty decently.

Here is the process I did:

1. Remove Wheel
    2. Loosen lower slide pin
    3. Flip caliper up
    4. Remove old brakes
    5. Press piston back in with C-clamp (Went in pretty smoothly, much easier than my 03 focus did)
    6. Cleaned, greased (back and the part that slides in the caliper), and install new pads
    7. Flip caliper back down and reattach slide pin. (Slide pins move freely)
    8. Reattach wheel
    Repeated for other side

After doing so, I triggered my ABS,VSC, and Brake lights. Which caused my car to not regen brake and power brakes not to work. I reset the abs system using the jumper trick to force it into diag mode and clear the codes. This fixed the problem with the error lights and abs not working. Now I notice I am getting like 37mpg and the car almost stays stationary when I left off the brake in drive and it's really hot when I stop. I am hoping I have not toasted the rubber seals yet and have take the car off the road. Everything looked fantastic when I had it all apart with no rust and the piston retracted very easily when I pressed it with the c-clamp. Both sides in the front are dragging, what did I muck up?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might be able to raise the front of the car and try turning the wheels, see if you are feeling a strong brake drag ... then crack open a bleed screw, see if the caliper relaxes and lets the wheel turn more easily. That would reveal whether the caliper was actually being held clamped by fluid pressure from the actuator, or whether the problem was something more mechanical, perhaps at the caliper itself.

If the caliper relaxed with the bleed screw cracked, it would also be interesting to observe whether it relaxed with just one small spurt of fluid from the bleeder, or with a more prolonged flow out the bleeder, as if pressurized fluid from the accumulator was being steadily admitted.

There have been different schools of thought here about how to reposition the piston for new pads: the "just crank the C clamp and force the fluid back upstream because that always worked on granddad's car" school, and the "open the bleeder before cranking the clamp because you might not want to force brake line grot back upstream into the tiny actuator valves" school.

I was once in the first school, until I wound up with a dragging brake on my Gen 1. My problem actually turned out to be a bad caliper and I hadn't mucked up the actuator at all, but I wasn't sure until I proved that was what it was, so the experience put the fear of grot into me anyway, and now I am in the second school.

-Chap

3. laser411

laser411 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But how did a perfectly fine caliper all of a sudden be bad (for you and me)? I was very careful and used the brake pads to push em back in and pretty slowly. Both sides to be bad at the same time too? With all these posts I am seeing, there has got to be just something people are missing.

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Step #5 killed you!

NEVER, EVER push old brake fluid backwards thru the system, especially on vehicles equipped with an HCU (Prius), although it is a terrible idea on anything with ABS in general.

Reasons?
    - Old brake fluid is corrosive as it contains moisture
    - Old brake fluid contains small wear particles and rust
    - All of the junk sinks to the lowest point in the system, the calipers!
    - When you push the caliper pistons back, you are going against "Mother Nature", ie: Gravity
    - Brake fluid has a finite service life, typically 3 years OR LESS, unless you live in the desert, then maybe 4 or 5 years at best

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just a few thoughts:

You only greased the lower caliper pins, didn't touch the uppers?

What grease did you use?

Has the brake fluid ever been changed?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would not assume that it was (for you and me). I was only describing my situation. In mine, I had replaced an OEM Toyota caliper with a low-quality aftermarket reman, and that caliper had zero piston return. That story is here.

So in my case, by confirming the cheesy caliper was the problem, and replacing it with a decent one and having the problem go away, I was able to eliminate the worse possibility that I might have damaged the actuator.

But the problem I had has been diagnosed and resolved. Yours has not been yet, so it is too early to assume it is the same for you and me.

My earlier post suggested a test; if you can do that, it might tell us more than a lot of speculation.

-Chap

7. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Right...

At this Time in Service and mileage, pin replacement is normal. Seems from the description like the HCU valve(s) are stuck partially open, causing some pressure to be applied to the calipers. Sure could be caliper piston seals are hardened and not pulling the pistons back when the brakes are released. Tough to tell over the internet.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I clean the exposed caliper piston with brake cleaner and a tooth brush very well before pushing back in. Getting crud inside the bore can cause sticking and/or torn seals.

Did you disconnect the 12v before beginning repairs? I've seen that recommended here.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He apparently didn't, says so in round about way in initial post. And yeah that could be an issue, I'm out of my depth though.

10. laser411

laser411 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not re-grease or replace the pins, they glided back and forth with no effort, so I did not want to deal with the rubber boot. But they were in excellent shape.
    What are HCU valves, and how can I test and/or fix that (Sounds likely)? I will not be able to do anything till these weekend by the way. The rubber boot/seal around the piston was in good shape, no tears, cracks, or hardening. The piston slide back very easily with the c-clamp so I can't imagine the piston is seized. Although after driving 60 miles with it sticking, I am afraid to look at it this weekend :/

I did clean the exposed piston which had VERY little dirt or grime on it and was in stunning shape for 120k miles.

Don't forget guys, before the brake pad change, I had absolutely no issues with my brakes. I just knew the pads were getting pretty low, so I replaced them. I just didn't know I was supposed to D/C the battery :-(. If I damaged these valves, what do they look like and how do I replace them?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did the new pads come with shims clipped to back of them? Sometimes those shims can be installed wrong and create kind of spring between the caliber/piston and the pad. That spring force will constantly push the pad to the rotor causing some brake drag.

All those valves are inside brake actuator assy. Sometimes it’s called ABS-control unit/module/pump.

It’s easy to check where the problem is but you should have techstream in case you get air in the system in some other part than front lines.
    Check where the problem is:
    -check that brake is currently dragging
    -open the bleeder on dragging wheel
    if it releases some fluid and immediately stops dragging then it’s hydraulic (or electric) fault
    if it still drags it’s a bad caliber

PS. Toyota actually advises just to push the piston in without opening the bleeder valve. But then they also say to change the brake fluid every other year (at least here).

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here it's every 3 years or 48K kms if I recall correctly. It's for sure 3 years. This is since 2014 Prius year. Honda has always said tri-yearly, regardless of miles.

If you do this your brake fluid will be in good shape, and pushing the piston back without bleed screw open should not be a problem. That's the only way I've ever done it. With the Prius too, it should be in special mode whenever you start opening the bleed screws. See @NutzAboutBolts brake fluid replacement video, pinned in maintenance sub-forum.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greasing the pins is the most important part. A stuck pin will catch the tire on fire really quick. It happened to me.

If you opened the door and it actuated the brake vac assist motor the piston will hyper extend. And also its not a good idea to push fluid back through the ABS unit.

This happens quite often. And usually requires a tow to the dealer. Opening a bleed screw will make the abs very unhappy also as it will see a loss of pressure. Going at the brakes without Techstream software is usually a disaster.

It does not take much at all to piss off the ABS unit. Its highly controlled and uses relay controlled solenoids for fluid metering. Pretty complex system. In fact at my Autoway dealer they refuse to even flush the brake system on G2 Prius. Apparently it cause the ABS unit to fail.
    I asked for the flush they said no way. He said all the Autoways in there network no longer do flushes on this car.

14. jessiejosco

jessiejosco Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a lot of worst case scenarios. I'm sure they are all possible, but I have changed the pads and rotors on both of our pruises without disconnecting the battery, and I pushed the caliper pistons back in without draining brake fluid. No warning lights or any other issues. Pretty sure I have opened the drivers door too and caliper pistons were not ejected. Just like any other car I have done brakes on, the brake pedal goes to the floor the first time till the pads move out to the rotor. The "brake computer" does not automatically preset the pads.
    Brake fluid is not routinely changed where I live. I'm not sure the fluid has ever been changed on my 06 or 08. Brakes hydraulics mostly fail here because of corrosion of the pistons and hardware from road salt, not internal corrosion from old brake fluid. I also think you would have warning lights on if you had damaged the ABS system.

Since both sides are dragging I would suspect a problem with the way they were assembled. Are you sure you have the correct pads? Are they Toyota pads? I would start by taking them apart again and putting the old pads back in if you still have them. Are the flex lines in good condition? Is there a wear ridge on the rotors?

15. laser411

laser411 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both front brakes are dragging, new pads did not have shims, and I believe I installed them right (The pad with the wear indicator goes on the inside side of the caliper right?).

I am like 97% sure it's not the pins, but I will check their movement again this weekend. They moved very freely with very little resistance. How much is a techstream setup? Where can I get one?
    I threw out the box and old pads unfortunately, they seemed like the right pads and the seemed to fit correctly (not snug but not loose either, like every other brake job I have done). They are wearever silver pads from advance auto. There is a wear ridge but it is not a bad one. The lines were nice and flexible it seemed. The ABS, VSC, and Brake lights did come on immediately when I turned the car on after the brake job but when I cleared them in diag mode they did not come back on. Brake fluid has never been changed.

So, to do list this weekend:

Check return of piston ( if I can get someone to help)
    Check pad installation
    Open bleeder valve and see what happens
    Check slider pins and don't be a lazy bastard and just grease them
    Disconnect battery and press piston back in? Bleed valve open or shut? What is the actual proper procedure?

Anything else I should check for?

16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I once pointed a revolver at my face and pulled the trigger. It didn't fire, so it must be safe for everyone else to do also.........

05PreeUs and edthefox5 like this.
  17. laser411

laser411 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Russian Roulette, you only lose once!

18. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You are doing yourself a HUGE disservice by working on the Prius w/o Techstream.
    1) Buy mini VCI from Amazon. $20-$30. All the selllers are sellig the same knock-off cble and hacked Techstream software.
    2) Get an obsolete Windows 32bit laptop (XP or 7). This will be your dedicated Toyota code reader. Many threads on install help for Win and Mac, just search.
    3) Get a temporary subscription to Toyota TIS, the OFFICIAL service manual. $15 for a 2 day subscription.
    4) Disconnecting 12V not specified in manual when replacing brakes. However, proper procedure to power down the system is required, which you may not have done.​

When you get Techstream up and running, double check your work, clean and lube the caliper slide pins, then flush the brake fluid. This might just resolve the issue, by forcing the appropriate valve open/closed, so the old fluid leaves the system. Assuming no physical damage to any brake realted component, the brake system/abs/related ecus will "relearn" the new status, and realize all is well. I base this on my experience, just barely moving moving the rear shoes when cleaning the rear brakes. Codes were rown and brakes were not working properly. Pnce the system was flushed, all was well.

READ post #1 from Galaxee. What services you need and what you don't | PriusChat. The Prius has a lot of brake fluid.

edthefox5 and valde3 like this.
  19. laser411

laser411 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, my understanding is that to perform advanced operations you want the 2.04 cable, not the 1.4. Can the firmware on the cables be upgraded? and if so, how?

I am looking at this:

and this:

I have obtained Techstream V12.20.024

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure if it's different with second gen, but third gen, there are work arounds. Simplest, as long as you're not opening brake bleed bolts:

1. disconnect negative 12 volt lead at the outset, and when done, push brake pedal multiple times to firm up the pedal, then reconnect 12 volt.

2. For brake fluid replacement, set the car in "invalid mode".

I'd agree though, at this juncture, guess software intervention is needed. Maybe just run it by the dealership??