1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just checking for potential improvement in my MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by srivenkat, Oct 18, 2012.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Folks,

I have had the 3rd-gen Prius for about 18 months now. My standard daily commute is about 3.7 miles each way. I try to do the standard P&G, etc., and on average I see 53 MPG (50 actual at pump) in the warmer months and about 50 MPG (47 actual at pump) in winter.

I live in east-central Illinois; flat roads. I was wondering if anything can be done in terms of improving my driving techniques to further improve the MPG. I am aware of grill-blocking in winter which I have chosen not to do, largely because of fear I might forget to unblock it before I or my wife drive long distance or at the end of winter. Also, no block heater, again for the fear I might forget to disconnect it before I start to drive.

I have had a ScanGauge II for a few months now, but largely it has been lying in the glove box ever since I suspected it might be draining my 12V when the car is off. Now I wouldn't hesitate to start using it again if I know how to use it for better MPG and the MPG improvement *could* be significant. Based on the above what do folks think might be the improvement I might achieve if I do employ any techniques aided by the SG II?

Also, is there a "the page" for using SG II on the Gen3 for hypermiling? One that doesn't just tell what gauges to create but how to use them for hypermiling.

Thanks.

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That short commute limits the MPG that you can get.

3. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah. Your about 3.7 miles each way is killer. Whats your tire pressure kept at?

4. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I try to maintain the stock Avid S33s at 40 front and 38 rear. Thanks.