1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just completed first 800+ mi. road trip, Prius Eco

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by RoadNoise, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've always championed Chevron, for their (at least around here) FREE available air at stations. One thing of late though: seems like every time I air up there's barely enough pressure, sometimes it'll actually hit the wall a pound or two low.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not. It's just that, at the discretion of the dealership, some will fill the tires with nitrogen before vehicle delivery to the customer. They're indicated by replacing the valve caps with green ones so that any shop who sees it knows that it's filled with nitrogen.

It's touted here in North America as a reason to cut down on underinflated tires (esp. those areas that experience large temperature differences between summer and winter... although I've had a colleague with nitrogen filled tires and the low tire pressure light still came on when it got cold enough) since nitrogen's pressure varies less than air.

Of course the problem is that you have to go to the dealer or Costco (bulk supermarket) to get nitrogen. I prefer the convenience of regular air :)

Either pay to use the machine or buy your own air compressor (the type that plugs into the 12V outlet).