1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just did tune up and now I have white smoke? Please Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sidewayzgt, Mar 5, 2017.

1. deepbluedivers22

deepbluedivers22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    ----USA----
    check 4 A head gasket/water in oil????

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Ok put a tester on radiator. Start it up watch the pressure. Should rise up when throtel is snaped and will increase with each snap.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is no water in the oil and the head gasket is fine. It does not smoke that much anymore but is still there because of the problem. This is a starting issue where the motor sounds like it is misfiring on startup (clanking and vibrating) and then it smooths out while running. The throttle response is not very good but I think that is a Prius trait? It is a gen 3 2011. I really don't want to take it to the dealer and would rather hire an independent in Los Angeles. Any recommendations?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's no radiator cap on third gen. Yeah, isn't that just great...

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor?
    And throttle body?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The best way to do it would be to remove the windshield wipers, then get at the cooler. Draining the engine coolant system ensures the engine is no bathed in coolant,but you could try hose clamps. In this method, coolant will be in the cooler and in sections of the hose between the clamp and cooler. I lost 1-2 ounces through the draining method, and plan to do this again that way as the coolant has glycol and makes things slick;).

I bought one from the salvage yard for $65 which was off of one with ~50 k miles IIRC. I still had to clean it as there was some carbon deposits on the fins in the cooler. Easy to see by visual inspection. I also bought a spare erg valve from the salvage yard at the same time and I cleaned this with a wire brush and tooth brush. No solvent used as it passed the visual eye test, but if it left something to be desired, I would have found some solvent and gave it a shot;).

As for the name, I wish I could say "you got me" , but this was my old AOL Instant messenger name. And I am an Eagle Scout :).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Both are clean

7. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh heck, it was EDDY The Eagle, my mistake. He was just on the news, in his early 50's, did a jump (still!) at a publicity event.

Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards - Wikipedia

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    no, the 3rd gen Prius doesn't have any drive belts, the water pump is electronically controlled.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read what the bulletin said and I don't think I need a new manifold because this issue happens way above 40 degrees and it will also happen when the motor is warm. The videos are exactly what my car sounds like though.

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Say it again?
    I didn't get your response to my post.

12. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put to much dielectric grease and had to wipe as much off as I could (going to go over it again when I get home from work). Must pull the plugs and wipe it off as well. I think that might be adding to my issue. I have read so many posts about my issue and am convinced that it is fuel management related. No CEL light, just codes with OBD ll reader. It is just the rough starting (cold or hot) otherwise the car runs fine.

I also think that the coil codes are old from when the car started without the coils connected (not sure how the car started without coils)? Still won't clear though.

As far as the white smoke is concerned, it is still there just drastically reduced.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is how I was applying it to the coils. I guess this video is wrong?

14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep, you need to take the plugs out and inspect/clean them. BTW, gasoline engine will not start without spark, it was just the electric motor spinning it while dumping fuel in the cylinders. it got flooded and maybe this is why you have the misfires and white smoke. did you smell gasoline in exhaust? while the spark plugs out, you might also remove the fuel injector fuses, and crank it for a while to vent the cylinders some. after you do that, put small amount (under 5ml) of ATF in each cylinder to help with compression in case gasoline washed all the oil from cylinders. Good luck.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be. Consider this: Toyota assembles all these connections clean-and-dry.

16. grhybrid

grhybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have seen an alarming number of Gen 3 engines suffer blown head gaskets. Your description of cold misfire, white smoke is spot on. People make the mistake of replacing coils, EGR valves etc. Watch your coolant level closely for the next couple of weeks.

17. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The misfire is not just when the motor is cold, it is when the motor is hot as well. If I start the car while hot 1 minute after shutting it off, it will misfire. If I shut the motor off while the motor is warm, then immediately start it up, the problem will become intermittent. This whole thing all started with the motor vibrating intermittently on start up after a 1.5 hour drive. There was no white smoke at the time.

Does anybody know of a good Prius mechanic in the Los Angeles/Redondo Beach California area? I have no time to work on this car anymore.

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dielectric grease is non-conductive. You do NOT want to apply it anywhere on an electrical connection. On a spark plug, you'd put it on the rubber boots on the spot far from the metal, to prevent arcing. BUT, if you got it on the contacts of the plugs or coils, the plug won't fire.

19. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thing that occurred to me: over-torque spark plugs - how close is the water jacket around the spark plug ports? Maybe a compression test is in order.

20. Sidewayzgt

Sidewayzgt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would love to talk to a local mechanic that has these tools.