1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

just got a 2005 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by feethanddooth, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Dagalo

Dagalo New Member

I wanted to respond to this topic ("Just got a 2005 Prius") because we also did. And I, too, am wondering WHAT HAPPENED TO 60MPG??? Our first fill-up (at about 1/2 a tank) gave us almost 60mpg and every fill-up since has been lower (with an avg of about 41mpg).

So....what is the truth??? We bought this car for the mpg listing on the window sticker. We traded in a Scion which got about 28-30mpg, so this isn't that much improvement.

2. senectus

senectus New Member

I don't know about in America but it's well known in Australia that the sticker on the window is for "in perfect conditions" meaning that they took that reading at 1 meter above sealevel on an average humidity day with an mild average temperature of about 26 dec C while driving on flat terrain with few stops and no other traffic on the road. (also driven by a Prius Expert who KNOWS how to drive the most efficiantly). Also they wouldn't be running heaters or airconditioners.

The fact that I'm getting nearly the same as the sticker absolutely stuns me.. and makes me happy with myself for learning very quickly how to drive a Prius and get the most out of it (I've only had it for less than two weeks now!).

If its VERY cold where you are then your economy will be poorer than it will be in a few months time.. plus give yourself some time to learn how to drive in economic fashion

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dagalo,

1) There's a break-in period (like every car). Things need to loosen up and smoothen out. (e.g. your engine will shut off more smoothly after several thousand miles)

2) I don't know where you are but temperature and terrain will make a difference

3) Winter fuel has lower BTU per unit volume than summer fuel

4) You need to learn to drive efficiently. Short trips are mileage killers and so is a cold engine (despite the thermos)

4. Dagalo

Dagalo New Member

Thanks for such quick responses. I read through lots of posts AFTER I posted my original post, so I feel kinda stupid now. It seems that it is a common "problem" of Prius owners to not get the sticker mileage (although this doesn't make it any easier to me to accept). I guess I will go to the New Owner's Seminar at my dealership and ask them to explain the correct way that I should be driving to better my fuel economy.
    This is a neat website and forum. I will check back periodically to read comments. It is VERY informatiive.....THANKS!

5. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my '05 on Feb 2nd. The tank was full when I drove off the lot, and the odometer had 9 miles on it.

On the 8th, I filled up with 7.529 gallons at 309 miles. That makes 40.76 MPG. On the 19th I put 9.529 gallons in after 411 miles. That made 43.13 MPG. On the 25th I put in 4.785 gallons after 200 miles. that made 41.8 MPG. And my last fill up was 9.266 gallons after 407 miles making 43.92 MPG.

After that fill up I drove down a long gradual downhill street and then up some foothills to my house. When I pulled into my garage I had over 50 MPG displayed on the MFD. Since then I have been attempting to maintain 50+ MPG. It is an illusive muse to be sure. I am currently at 49.5 MPG and I have 1/3 of a tank left.

I have seen that excessive speed will limit your MPG. If I drive at 55-60 MPH, I should be able to maintain my 50 MPG goal. But I have on at least one occasion exceeded 65 MPG. and I think that effected my mileage negatively.

This has had an interesting effect on me. I used to drive my blazer at 65 -70 all the time. And frequently cruise the highway at 80. Since I am trying to extend my MPG in my new Prius, I have been driving much slower. I still get where I was going on time. I watch all the other cars drive by me at 80+ and I feel an almost Zen like calmness.

Thanks to this forum, and whoever made that Excel workbook that I downloaded from somewhere and I have adapted for my use. Thanks Scott, whoever you are!

6. Paul113

Paul113 New Member

Don't feel lonely, Feeth.....I'm just over 3500 miles on my '05 here in frosty south east Michigan and have yet to run a 40 MPG tank. The Doc's article is a wealth of knowledge and well worth the read. Everyone keeps saying the cold weather is to blame so I am holding on to the hope that once warmer temps get here (sat is spring) the MPG will improve. If your commute is short you will get bad numbers for sure in Jersey. The first 2 candles in my Fuel Consumption Graph (that's 10 minutes) are almost never over the 25 mpg line. You'll notice the "OVER THE EPA" posts number about 75 and nearly 5000 have read em. As they say....do the math.
    Namaste,
    Paul

7. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I picked up my 2005 Prius in November, and over the winter months I have averaged about 38 mpg. Since my last fillup, we've had decent temps, and the MFD is showing about 45 mpg. I'm at 380 miles and it just dropped to two dots on the fuel gauge. Friday evening was beautiful, and I was driving down a boulevard for several miles, and the consumption display was on 100 far more than it was at or below 50. That was an awesome sight. And that's driving it "normally"...not doing anything to stretch mileage. Considering I traded from a car delivering about 20 mpg, I have been, and continue to be, nothing less than thrilled.

8. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

I am getting about 45 to the gallon, accelerating faster than about anything else on the road and coasting after reaching speed.

Fuel prices per gallon hit yet the prior high mark locally, and I am smiling all the way.

9. senectus

senectus New Member

yeah I love the fact that I can still blow away most other cars from the lights and STILL get excellent fuel econ :-D

10. Michael Maddox

Michael Maddox New Member

I, too, have rarely seen mileage in the mythical EPA ranges. For 11500 miles on my '04, I've seen a couple of tanks in the 50's--50.1, 50.0, 50.8. Those 50.8s really hurt, since I just KNEW I'd finally gotten a 51 mpg tank, but I won't whip into a gas station until the Add Fuel warning comes on--no cheating. Lifetime, I'm looking at around 48.5 mpg. Winter driving has knocked the mileage down a bit, and I've been seeing lots of 46s (lucky to be in Florida, albeit NORTH Florida).

Although I'm disappointed that the mileage has not been that of the EPA numbers (even though I drive with a strong Prius-style, keep the body waxed, and maintain higher tire pressures), I'm generally very pleased with the car. I've never put in over $20 of fuel in the car (usually on $17 or so), and it lasts me two weeks or more...effectively halving my prior fuel budget and beating my wife's SUV budget by over 60%. Although we should be pleased with the ecological and fiduciary benefits the Prius allows us, I think it is wrong for Toyota to make use of such ridiculous mileage estimates. The figures used should reflect the true nature of the beast, rather than some hyper-idealized notion of what the car is capable of if you get the right vehicle, you drive downhill with a tailwind, and you always drive 30 mile increments.

I need no apologists' responses to this post. The Prius is a fine auto, and I'm extremely pleased with it. So pleased that I'm top of the list in Tallahassee to acquire the Highlander hybrid. I just believe that it is WRONG to mislead people, even with the benefit of fine-print and other disclaimers. I'd have still purchased the car without the lure of the 50mpg magic number.

11. Paul113

Paul113 New Member

I need no apologists' responses to this post.

Too funny. LOL!! It is kind of a "religious" experience owning one of these little gems isn't it?

Namaste,
    Paul

12. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I have been driving my 2005 Salsa Red Prius like a "regular car" for the past couple of months...that means I tended to start out a little "briskly" from stop lights...falling into the "racing to the next stoplight" syndrome. Still, Over the winter I have been averaging right at 40 mpg for a tank. My wife just got her's a couple of weeks ago and I checked yesterday, and she too is seeing about 40 mpg. For grins, I've made a concerted effort to ease up on the "lead foot" from stoplights...That is, avoiding the temptation to get up to the posted speed as quickly as possible, but still accelerating enough not to get the finger from other drivers. I've been doing it since this tank had about 300 miles on it ( and three dots left on the fuel guage), and an average of 40.5 MPG showing on the MFD consumption screen. Over thes past few days, the average on the MFD has gone up to 45.2, and on almost every trip, I have seen it reflect a steady mpg of the magical 60 mpg range, after the first 2 segments during the warm up period. Changing my driving style has made me arrive at the office about 1 minute later than usual.

What amazed me most was this morning, the outside air temp was 37 degrees, and I watched the average MPG creep upward...despite starts from a dead stop and a hillier than usual route to work. I'm going to continue this technique for the next tank of gas - I'm betting I'll see mileage in the high 50's, despite the cooler temps.

13. canuckican

canuckican New Member