1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got a 2008 Prius - 2 days later P0101

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rockhound, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Rockhound

Rockhound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got a 2008 Prius. Everything was fine for 2 days. Then Engine Light came on. Scan said P0101 (MAF sensor).

I looked up what it can be. I will start with Air filter, check vac lines, PCV, Air intake hose, then I will try cleaning the MAF sensor. Am I on the right track? Anything else?

Another question. I cleared the CEL just to see if it was a one time thing. CEL came on the next day, but then it turned off about an hour later after I went to the store. The only thing I know of that turns the CEL off is the EGR valve ( if it starts working OK again).

Does P0101 turn off if the MAF or whatever was the problem starts working again?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try cleaning the maf sensor with maf sensor cleaner. If that doesn't work, you can buy a new one on Amazon for about $70. Buy the correct Denso part

Eastside likes this.
  3. Rockhound

Rockhound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do you mean "correct Denso part" ? Is a Pruis sensitive about brand and quality? So don't get anything from O'Rielys or Autozone?

douglasjre likes this.
  4. Rockhound

Rockhound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cleaning the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner seemed to have solved the problem. Been 24 hours now and no light

douglasjre and bisco like this.
  5. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good to hear. That would have been my first suggestion had I seen your original post. Your other thoughts were good as well, but my experience has led me to believe that a MAF code is more often than not directly related to the MAF sensor rather than other related components. A good MAF cleaning every 100k or so isn't a bad idea.

Btw, let us know if it pops back up. It took two days to come on the first time. After only 24 hours, you may still be in the zone where the ECU is figuring things out and just hasn't thrown the code yet.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! how many miles on her?

7. Rockhound

Rockhound Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right now it's been 4 days and no code so far. Previously when I cleared the code, it would come back on in less than 24 hours.

I don't know if this means anything, but I noticed before that if I drive around the neighborhood or say less than 40 MPH, the light doesn't come on. But if I drive about 45 MPH or faster, that's when it would come on. One other thing I found was that when I checked the air filter, there was a loose rubber fitting that was kinked (that extra loop part that extends from the filter and fits in the plastic groove. I could tell that the rubber ring was not in place properly, so I am sure a bit of unfiltered air was getting in and that the plastic cover and pinching the rubber part.

Odometer is about 125,000

bisco and johnnyb588 like this.
  8. Ozzbo

Ozzbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have the same error P0101. I cleaned the MAF sensor already twice. I noticed that the error appears while driving for some time, 1 hour and more. After the first appearance, the code disappears itself after couple days. Now it shows up again. Should I replace the sensor? What's the PN? Thanks.

9. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to be nasty, but if you figured out how to post here, you can figure out what MAF you need.
    Kris

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But posting here is fun, and looking parts up is dismal.

11. Ozzbo

Ozzbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The point is more about sharing similar experience if any. Once replaced, I will monitor if the error drops again. Already ordered Denso

douglasjre likes this.
  12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    U won't need a new sensor. Cancel the order

13. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now, now. With an attitude like that, you'll probably not even suggest that folks perform any testing.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.