1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got a "Check hybrid system" message

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by walter Lee, Jul 20, 2013.

1. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    and the triangle of death is on my 2010 Prius -- but I can still drive it...

Toyota's Emergency Response Guide ...says this error is
    triggering by the ground fault monitor that is connected to the

12v aux battery
    HV battery pack ( HV battery fuse, two 12v relay)
    HV battery inverter/converter

My 2010 Toyota Prius III has 37400 miles and I've had it since 2010 April.
    My ScangaugeII didn't find any OBD2 diagnostic codes

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No recent work on it? Especially electrical?

I got that error several times after doing some wiring behind the dash and probing around the fuse box checking which fuses were hot on Standby and in Ready Mode.

Scared the cr@p out of me. Especially because it is the Mrs' car. ;)

Took several attempts to get the car into Ready mode by pressing the Start button several times to clear the fault. Whew.

SCH-I535

Ajwatuc likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Weird, the date on your post is 1970. Yet you have a 2010... Lol. Better check out the Flux capacitors too. ;)

SCH-I535

4. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No recent work.
    Yes, others have reported turning the Prius off-and-on three times in a row can often reset the onboard computer.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The SGII cannot read the Prius specific DTC's from the different ECU's without special XGauge programming. Search on here for SGII and find where Vincent sent me the coding for this. This will give you the DTC but not the sub codes that narrow down the possibilities.

6. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i interested in that.....any more clues....i searched sg11..vincent but nothing came up

7. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The "Check hybrid system" message is triggered by a high voltage ground circuit breaker something like a GFI circuit breaker that one finds on the AC wall outlets of a bathroom.

The dealership can reset the error message - circuit breaker but if the problems persist then
    it will trip the ground fault interrupter circuit and the message will message will be redisplayed
    again. If this turns out to be a *real* problem then I will use it to test/hunt for a dealership
    with a good *hybrid* mechanic- shop in the Washington DC metro area.

IIRC the hybrid system is still under warranty -- 96 months or 100,000 miles

8. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Please follow up with where you take it. Hopefully I won't need a good hybrid mechanic for a long time, but I'm curious where one would be. It doesn't seem like the DC area has a good indy shop like they have out west. With all the hybrids here, you think there would be.

With that said, dealers are hit or miss too. I've only had experience with Leesburg Toyota for a non hybrid repair for a family member. Not impressed with that service department.

9. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've only had one experience with repairing a hybrid. I was helping a friend with Ford Escape Hybrid Anti Lock Braking System Warning Light warning which would not go off even after doing all the Technical Service Bullitin Recall fixes and replacing the ABS sensor ( my friend called me only after the 2nd repaired failed to turn off the ABS warning light and she had spent over $500 already...) . The brakes and the ABS system look like it was working but having that light on made my friend feel uneasy. Luckily was was able I to get an ABS scanner (for only $60 too) which determine the correct wheel the ABS computer was complaining about but - unfortunately the ABS Scanner didn't say much more (geez I was hoping for something like HAL in 2001 Space Odessey saying *Don't Do That David*).... eventually we found the fix, which occured after the mechanic dissembled and reassembled that particular wheel's brake assembly - apparently something came loose and it was only after the mechanic reassembled the brake assembly that the ABS warning light turned itself off. %\

This (Monday) morning (about 44 hours after I got the first warning lights ) when I turned on my 2010 Toyota Prius III - the master warning light (Triangle of Death) and the "Check Hybrid System" display message were off. However, since the 2010 Toyota Prius has a *black box* recorder - I brought my car to the DARCARS Toyota Service Center at Silver Spring MD this morning for my appointment anyway for a diagnostic check ($125+tax) to see if there as any data/messages internally recorded by the black box recorder - the service center representative estimated that it will take about 90 minutes to do the initial diagnostic scan/report.

Got to Darcar Toyota of Silver Spring MD at 6:45 am and I was out the door at 9:30am. The Darcar Toyota Service Rep said that my hybrid subsystem(s) checked out okay and the "Check Hybrid System" message and multiple internal error codes on the main computer was due to break in communication link with the other subsystem computers which share the same communication bus. I was hoping for a report readout of the internal error codes but alas I didn't get any - and I didn't get to talk to the mechanic who did the diagnostics either - so I was disappointed. The Darcar Toyota Service techs disconnected the Scangauge2 and reset the onboard computer and then did a 7 mile road test - but they could not replicate the error and found no error codes. They believe that the ScangaugeII is shorting out the ground and disrupting the Prius' shared communication line. They recommend discontinuing using the ScangaugeII.

DARCARS has updated their customer service lobby - it is really nice. three big screen televisions, about two dozen fluffy arm chairs, four dining tables, a microwave, and four computers with internet connection(one of which I am using now) which is over and above the normal free coffee, vending machine, and restrooms that most dealership service customer waiting rooms normally have..

Rebound likes this.
  10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    SGII Rev. 4.02 Upgrade | PriusChat

The above is the thread. Vincent emailed me the DTC coding. I am out of town this week and need access to my home PC. You may try adding a post to this thread and ask Vincent if he can email you the DTC coding. He is in Singapore and usually responds during late evenings our time.

walter Lee likes this.
  11. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have two SGII units - one is version 4.06 the other is version 3.17.

I called Linear Logic and they said they don't think the ScangaugeII would
    normally cause a OBD2 communication problems - but I could send both
    units to them and they would check out both unit to see if anything
    was wrong with them and fix them for free if they found any problem with them.

The Problem is that I normally need a ScangaugeII eek out my best
    MPG (and it would definitely be a handicap not to have it when I
    am doing the Clean MPG 2013 Summer Fuel Efficiency Challenge).

crap. :(

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet SG produced the problem. We had that reported here many times how OBD2 devices interfere with CAN communication. I had that myself.

13. chathud

chathud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sooo what was the exact solution for walter Lee's problem.

14. 2010 Prius owner_

2010 Prius owner_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would like to know that as well. I have a 2010 Prius and my Check hybrid system message came on and it will not drive.

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First thing: Turn the engine off and on three times. That sometimes work. Second thing: Pull the 12V battery ground and then reattach. That sometimes work.

If those don't work:
    Step 1: Curse
    Step 2: Attach an ODB-II tool to the ODB port under the steering wheel and read the diagnostic fault codes. Post them here.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Haziq

Haziq New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    One evening I was driving my Toyota Prius, 2013 (i-e Generation 3 – 1.8 Prius) and I saw a check light on by dash board display. While I was taking it to a workshop the display gave another sign “Check Hybrid System Stop the vehicle in a safe place”. The yellow triangle was also displaying at that time and off and on I could see the heatup sign as well. While I was parking in a safe place the vehicle stopped.

After a while I started it and the same signs came again yet I was close to home and I was able to park it there. Since it was winters I noted that my heating system which I fixed at 28 C was not working. I raised the temperature to highest level but the heater was absolutely not working.

The other day I started it and I could see the check light only but again while driving it to work shop I started receiving the same sign again and the vehicle stopped but since the workshop was not far away I was able to reach to workshop by stopping for a while and then restarting the vehicle. When the scanner was attached at the workshop it showed “Code P261b - Engine Coolant Pump “B” Control Malfunction”

The workshop admin advised that the main coolant pump needs to be checked as it has electric motor which usually gets overheated and finally gets dysfunctional and the coolant circulation towards the engine stops ultimately causing the vehicle to be over heated and the indication comes up with these signs. It must be noted that prius has two coolant pumps – one for cooling down the hybrid system while the other is for cooling the engine. The Engine Coolant Pump “B” as is clear from its name is for cooling the engine. It is placed on opposite side of inverter while the inverter coolant pump is placed almost below the inverter. The workshop men opened the Engine Coolant Pump and when checked it was jammed which was not moving freely. On mere rotating the motor by hand one can tell it is jammed. The motor in the new Engine Coolant Pump is very free in movement. We replaced the same and the vehicle was all set. If its fixed the very obvious indication is that in a while the heater inside the prius will start working – obviously in a few minutes once the engine fully functions. For easy reference I am posting the Engine Coolant Pump replacement link.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and thank you for the helpful info! all the best.(y)

18. 2013priusc

2013priusc New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

19. 2013priusc

2013priusc New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Check the bus bars their corroded. Be careful and use insulated rubber gloves. To clear the codes on a 2013 Prius C . Turn key on, turn headlights on and off 3 times turn key off. Repeat until all codes are cleared off display.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's too bad the Prius Dash can't display coolant temp, both engine and inverter would be nice.

KennyGS and Prodigyplace like this.