1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got a new silver Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim in NC, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi everyone. I've been reading Priuschat for years but not posting lately.

I was almost dead set against getting the new Gen 4 mainly because I didn't like several things about the looks (which is an important factor to me).

My trusty Gen 3 Prius II is nearing 110k miles so I was planning to get a new car this fall. After last year's Prius reveal at Las Vegas, it was a real letdown for me. The EPA rating and the looks were not what I thought they should've been after Toyota delayed the update so long.

It also turned out that Honda released their new Civic last fall. I really like the looks of the Civic and it has a tremendous array of features at a great price. Anyway, I delayed getting a car because there are still some bugs with the Civic infotainment system, and my color combo is difficult to find now (white w/ black interior). Nevertheless, I was strongly leaning towards buying a Civic if I found the right package and color.

Fate would have it that a week and a half ago my 2010 Prius got t-boned in a parking lot accident. It was a low speed wreck, but it bent the metal piece between the 2 doors on the driver side. They're still trying to fix it and I feel that it won't ever be as good as new. Also, I've been driving this HORRIBLE Chevy cruz since then so it prompted to go look at cars again yesterday. Another note -- my Honda and Toyota dealers (I've bought cars from both of them) are right next to each other.

I looked at 2 Priuses first (a green/tan and white/black). The light interior color didn't set well with me, but the green did look ok. (The white one to me showed off all the odd angles and shapes, so it wasn't my cup of tea.)
    Then I looked at the silver one and actually liked it. (My Gen 3 Prius is silver.) Then when I saw that the inside was black, it really got my attention. Black accentuates 2 things about the interior that Toyota got right -- the beautiful colorful displays and the wraparound dash. The other part that I really, really hate on the new Prius is the "urinal". :) To my delight, that part was completely black! So with my objections to the aesthetics of the car overcome, I was able to assess the driving, handling, room, comfort of the seat and other features and it met my approval.

Long story short, I bought the Two Eco model (silver/black) and when I found out that it doesn't have heated seats, the salesman offered to add the Toyota leather w/ heating package for me this week. Done deal!

I enjoy it so far, and will have a lot of questions!

#1 Jim in NC, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    sttkailua, ucla107, pjm877 and 5 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! another feel good story.(y)

3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg

Congratulations, Jim. My salesman never mentioned anything about a "leather seat / heat package." Are you sure about that? Do they actually remove the cloth seats, and replace them? There was no mention of this on the Toyota website, in the accessories section. (I can't even find mudguards!)

Your dealer would have to special order SofTex seats from Japan! And at what cost?

(And go easy on those "White" comments. Penelope is sensitive. :))

Merged

I'll bet Jim a large pizza, that he doesn't get leather seats in a Two Eco model. There is no such option for a Two. You have to buy a Touring model to get SofTex seats.

#3 Coast Cruiser, Apr 3, 2016
  4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I just noticed there are discrete zips down either side of the leather seat backs on mine, maybe they can just order the covers ?

5. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure they are on BOTH sides of each seat? I saw a zip-like thing on the outside of my seats and thought it was the opening for the side airbag??

6. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I go back to the dealership to have it done I'll ask him the specifics and post back here.

On my 2010 Prius II they did the same thing for me. It just may be his misnomer for the package, but my 2010 leather came out VERY nice. Also, it was REAL leather, not the fake stuff and has held up well after 5 years.

7. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, thanks Jim. It sounds like your dealer is installing an aftermarket accessory; real leather seat covers from another company? Not original Toyota parts. I'm glad you are happy with them.

#7 Coast Cruiser, Apr 3, 2016
  8. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    By the way, your Prius from that angle in full sun looks very nice.

(sorry to offend Penelope :) )

Are you enjoying it so far?

9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Jim. That blizzard Pearl looks nice when it sparkles in the sunlight. Don't think you can tell in that picture. My young filly, Penelope, she can get up and really gallop when she wants to! I took her for a good work-out this morning. It was a nice drive. (I'm past the break-in period now.) Then I stopped to get gas, and I averaged 60.3 mpg according to my hand calculation. Yes, it seems like a very good car. My first Prius. I was discouraged because the tire noise/road noise is higher than I expected; but I can live with it until the time comes to replace the tires.

I don't know why the windows appear so dark in the photo. (They're not.) I actually have a fairly light tint. Maybe because I'm blocking the light with a sun shield on the dashboard.

10. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your purchase. I was in a similar situation. I still have my 2004 Prius with 256,000 miles. I love the car and use it daily. I was going to get the 2016 but was a little put off by the styling. It's starting to grow on me. Anyway, I was looking at the Civic for 2016 and compared prices. The way I wanted my Prius equipped was $5,000 more than the Civic. I ended up getting the Civic because I found it to have better value. The styling in my opinion is much better. I got the top of the line touring and my favorite feature is adaptive cruise control with low speed follow. It actually will fully stop the car in stop and go traffic. I know the Prius has adaptive cruise control but not the full stop feature. I was also turned off by the fact that you had to buy the most expensive model to get blind spot monitoring. I will continue to be a Prius fan but I got annoyed with the way they structured the options on this model. I've got to admit I love my Civic especially with the turbo. Tons of fun to drive. If I keep the revs down I can easily get low 40's in suburban driving. Even driving 73 on the highway yields 40 mpg with no sweat. More spirited driving will get you in the mid 30's. Nothing compared to the mileage I'd be getting in the Prius but decent overall. I can buy an awful lot of gas with the 5 grand I saved.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...ah a T-Bone stake in Prius

12. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on your new ride too and best of luck. Don't think you could go wrong with either car in terms of longevity and enjoyment.
    What color combo did you go with? I was considering the Touring also because of the safety sensing package and other extras.

One thing I really hate about Toyota is their trim levels and packaging. Something like the safety sensing (TSS) should be available as a separate package without the other garbage you have to get by stepping up a trim level. They need to make their packaging more granular like Honda has done. The 'Prius premium' is very high and almost pushed me away. I could have gotten the Honda with their Honda sensors, remote start, power heated leather seats and many other niceties for what I paid for the Prius without all these. Unfortunately their Civic infotainment bugs gave me pause and I couldn't easily find the White/Black combination I wanted. I suspect that both of those issues would've been resolved by my planned purchase timeframe of September/October. If this accident hadn't happened, I would have been posting a different "Just got a new ... " thread.

Enjoy your new ride! :)

#12 Jim in NC, Apr 3, 2016
  13. Priyzf

Priyzf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Somethings are better than getting the better value in life

JohnF and bisco like this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

@bwilson4web said that his dealer was informed 2017 models will come with TSS-P. He's waiting for a Two Eco with TSS-P as well.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...do we have confirmation? (trust...but verify)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gorgeous! thanks jim.(y)

17. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Definitely on both sides on mine and on the rear seat backs

#18 kithmo, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  18. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Sorry about your older Prius but Congrats!

19. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beautiful, Jim. I've only seen 4 new 2016s in my area. A silver one, a dark grey one, a red one, and the white one I'm driving. :ROFLMAO: I always say to myself, "Man, that color looks great! Why didn't I get that?!!" There are 90 million white vehicles in my area! I guess I will just be another anonymous plain white car. (Kind of wish I had shopped around a bit more.)

I see a ton of Gen 3s. I much prefer the brake lights on the 2015 models. That 12" long row of bright LED bulbs; it's very visible. I don't like the ONE brake bulb on my 2016. They should've made the tail light so that the LED "Z" section is also the brake light. That would look really nice.

Your leather seats covers look great. Just like it came from the factory that way.
    Enjoy you new car.

Jim in NC likes this.