1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jan 5, 2006.

1. spankymcbeaverson

spankymcbeaverson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    dont care honestly.. none of that matters in the long run. I got this kind of mileage with my 99 Saturn Sl2 5 speed manual, I would get 45 mpg at 72mph on the highway in that car, and usually 37-40mpg total never below 30 mpg, I put a warm air intake on it, and shifted at low rpm and got great mpg all the time, pretty comparable to the prius, if you're not roasting tires. 10% less mpg in the saturn or almost the same given same accelration or same constant speed. Saturns original number were 38 highay and 27 city and yet I get very close to the same mileage in a prius gen 2, except in the time frame when its 70 degrees everyday when the prius wins usually, the prius is so heavy, I wish they made them lighter like the 2200 lb saturn I had. would be so much better on gas..

#41 spankymcbeaverson, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree.

I hope as you get to know your Prius your MPG will get better. My observation is that most of driving any car economically is the adjustment of the nut behind the wheel.

All the best.

NOLA_Akita and Paul Schenck like this.
  3. spankymcbeaverson

spankymcbeaverson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yea but tire pressure counts for alot too, ive been trying to compare 1/2-3/4 wot to 1/4 wot for efficiency lately, prius will regenerate electricity more so at higher rpm, so acceleration doesnt seem to affect these cars in the mpg department vs your top speed on the highway, for example:
    If i creep to 25 mph vs gas it nicely and get to 32 mph and then come to a stop at at stop sign half a mile away i generate more electricty at 32mph, then that electricity pushes me at infinite mpg at the next block.
    I guess my point is, Ive never seen gains, in driving this car like a turtle, like you may see in a stick shift car, like you maybe be implying. Im not gonna include a regular automatic in this argument cause those things are just terrible for efficiency at those speeds, and Ive never done any off the cuff mpg testing on a car like that, if there are gains at these very slow speeds theyre so small its not worth it, obviously wot will get you worse mileage, but this car has a different mpg sweetspot complicated by regeneration, id like to see a graph that documents this.

4. 2005 Prius owner

2005 Prius owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this has nothing to do with this thread, but I can’t figure out where to go to make a new post. Can someone please tell me?

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go to the forum where you want your new thread to be. For example, the Gen 2 Prius Main Forum (Gen 2 Prius Main Forum | PriusChat) and click on the big blue "Post New Thread" button.
    Post New Thread.png

NOLA_Akita and SFO like this.
  6. Christov Tenn

Christov Tenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That John's Stuff site is really something. Thank you for posting the link. C.

7. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You got 45 mpg out of a 99 sl2?

I owned the same year and same transmission and averaged about 42 mpg. And a lot of oil

8. Colton Campbell

Colton Campbell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Howdy! Just got my first Prius. 2004 salsa red with 49k miles. Paid $3,500. Clear coat is completely shot on it. Cleaned up real nice on the inside. Very interesting ride compared to my 2009 corolla. I'm averaging 38 combined(70%highway) I used the Dr Prius app when I bought it, and it showed the battery in fair condition. Previous owner had no knowledge of it's state. It appears to still be the original battery. I'm looking forward to changing oil, filters, and spending the time to put on a new clear coat. I notice a slight vibration coming from the driver side wheel, but haven't looked into yet. Looking forward to spending more time on this forum!

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    49k in 16 years, pristine!

congrats, all the best!(y)

Colton Campbell likes this.
  10. mastershredder85

mastershredder85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just got my first 2007 Prius the other day. 215,000 miles. Previous owner took very good care of it but decided to sell after it threw 3 codes at the same time. One of those being to replace the hybrid battery. She said it currently has it's 3rd battery in it (purchased from a Toyota dealership) and it should've had way more miles to go before needing replaced. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me 20200422_191133.jpeg 20200422_191151.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  11. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Looks like you need to fix that fuel door too ;)

There are some good HV battery options on here depending on your budget

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it really is a new toyota battery, it has a 3 year warranty. if it's out of warranty, it should still be in excellent shape and worth rebuilding properly.

all the best!(y)

13. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn’t know they made a 2004 in salsa red? Thought that was a new color on the Gen2 in 2005??

iPhone ?

14. Galane

Galane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's an app for that? *searches google app store*

Got it on my phone now. Will check both of my old cheap Bluetooth dongles that claimed to support all OBD II and CAN but were can't when it came to OBDII. When I bought them I had nothing newer than 2004, and that was a Dakota which wasn't switched to CAN because it was the final year of that style. I tried them on a 2007 Expedition and they both worked.

But for Dr. Prius they have to be able to access more than the main ECU. Fingers crossed at least one can.

15. Rich Obermayer

Rich Obermayer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I am a new 1st time owner of a 2004 prius 2nd gen. I must say it has 250,000 so it is broken in. When i got the car the 12 volt aux battery was low so i got a toyota new one. a neighbor and friend showed me how to use his torque software with a bluetooth OBD2 plus and monitor my electrical system.
    The traction battery is pretty solid. All the cells are pretty close between 16.5 and 16.3 volts. but for some reason when the engine is running my aux voltage is only 13.8 or 13.9 I tested it from the front fuse box by turning on the lights for 20 seconds then turning them off to take the surface charge off. I have 12.5 volts sometimes 12.4 volts on the meter for the aux battery. I am wondering if this will become a problem. after driving the car for 20 min I turned it off and hooked up a 3 amp charger to the aux battery. for some reason it always says 60% when i connect it to the terminals then it quickly goes back up to 90 %. I was wondering if there is any fuses or connectors i can check to make sure my dc to dc converter is giving the proper voltage. Or maybe there are fuses that control the charging voltage to my aux battery.
    Any help you could give me is appreciated.
    Just a footnote. I also learned how to put the car into diagnostic mode. this also shows my aux battery voltage at 12.5 then it goes to 14 when the engine starts. then id=t drops down to 13.8 or 13.9 while the engine is running. is this an indicator that my aux charging system is not working properly or just normal battery wear.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything you mention in regards to the 12 V battery sounds normal.

Don't sweat it.

Paul Schenck and jerrymildred like this.
  17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As @dolj said, all that is normal. I'll add that it has nothing to do with whether the engine is running. As long as the car is in ready mode and not in neutral, it will maintain around 13.9 volts to the aux battery. You can buy very inexpensive devices that plug into the 12V socket some people call a cigarette lighter that will show the voltage. Many of them also give you one or more USB charging ports at the same time.

NOLA_Akita and dolj like this.
  18. Rich Obermayer

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What of the voltage drops below 13.9

19. Rich Obermayer

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Forgot to thank u both

jerrymildred and dolj like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it would simply mean that the 12v is sufficiently charged and not being taxed enough to need a higher rate

jerrymildred and dolj like this.