1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just had a test drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wijnands, Oct 5, 2007.

1. wijnands

wijnands New Member

Over here in the netherlands there's talk of lowering taxes on low-CO2 emitting cars which suddenly makes hybrids a very interesting option.

Unfortunately there's only 2 mid-price hybrids available here, the prius and the civic. There's also some lexus but that's almost twice the price of the prius.

Today I took one for a testdrive. Very nice car, well put together, good equipment. Didn't take me as long as I expected to get used to automatic transmission.

One thing that really disappoints me is the booth space. Compared to my current Peugeot 307 it's tiny! Does anyone have a clue why they didn't design a wagon version of it? All it would take is raise the back of the car a bit.

2. mxvet

mxvet humble

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wijnands @ Oct 5 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]521673[/snapback]</div>
    Small? it's huge! you can get a bunch of stuff in the Prius with the back seats down and the front passenger seat folded down.
    if you think the Prius doesn't have any booth space, wait until you get the Honda.....it is tiny, the rear seats do not fold down and the trunk...., well you'll see.

3. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wijnands @ Oct 5 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]521673[/snapback]</div>
    Did you notice the boot has a big hidden box under the floor? Ideal for carrying stuff like a blanket, starter cables, laptop PC... And another one below that, where the spare wheel goes. What are you trying to transport that might not fit?

[​IMG]

If it's a holiday you're worried about, I'd consider a rooftop ski box. It will kill your mileage, but it's only a few times a year. The tax savings are huge (up to €1700 per year), you can buy a decent box for that.

4. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wijnands @ Oct 5 2007, 06:19 AM) [snapback]521673[/snapback]</div>
    I believe Toyota is contemplating a wagon. Take a look here.. As a former Subaru Outback driver, I have to agree with you despite the ample height of the cargo space. We don't own a truck or SUV so if we want to move anything large around, we are faced with renting another vehicle. It's a pain.

5. mcevedy

mcevedy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tballx @ Oct 5 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]521713[/snapback]</div>
    I actually agree that the luggage space in the Prius in not huge but for about 95% of the time it is more than adequate. For the 5% when it is not, I either use another car or hire a van. Otherwise one drives around in a car that is far too big wasting fuel and road space for no reason. If the Prius was a wagon, I doubt the aerodynamics would be as impressive.

6. wijnands

wijnands New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter@Beoworld @ Oct 5 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]521729[/snapback]</div>

Putting the backseats down would be an option but I think my two kids would complain. :)

I currently drive a peugeot 307 wagon. That has 503 liters below the luggage cover. I get 7,9 liters per 100km (29.77mpg) which isn't that bad but also 178 grams co2 per km compared to the 104 the prius emits.
    But yes, I don't use that space all that often, once or twice a year a vacation and the occasional trip to ikea. If I do choose the prius a ski box will be an absolute necessity. If they'd have a wagon version available my order would already be in the system. I guess I'll just have to settle for a skibox.

Main reason I'm still having doubts about this car is that our last summer holiday we went camping for the first time and the peugeot could barely hold all our luggage.

I googled a bit for hybrids and noticed that Ford USA has the Escape hybrid for about the same price as a Prius. Unfortunately that car hasn't made it to Europe yet and probably never will.

My future prius will be a company car. In the Netherlands you have to pay 22% income tax over the value of the car. Plans for next year are to raise that to 25% and to lower it to 14% for anything emitting less than 110grams co2/km

7. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wijnands @ Oct 5 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]521761[/snapback]</div>

Praise the Lord for that. LOL!!!! You'd be better off with a Yugo, trust me. Who buys Ford nowadays...

8. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wijnands @ Oct 5 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]521761[/snapback]</div>
    I seriously doubt the Escape would qualify for the tax cut. The Prius just barely qualifies, at 104 grams.

9. mhawkin1

mhawkin1 Matt

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think wagons sell very well in the countries that matter - like the US. ;)

10. lgamber1

lgamber1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tballx @ Oct 5 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]521713[/snapback]</div>
    I think a prius wagon would be cool! We totally want to buy a wagon for our next car. I have to say, there were SO many annoying and idiotic comments after that article. ugh!

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wijnands @ Oct 5 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]521761[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius is rated at 456 litres so you lose about 50 litres of luggage space. I don't know if the 456 litres includes the box and whether it's below the luggage cover (we call it tonneau cover) or if it includes the space all the way to the roof/rear window.

12. wijnands

wijnands New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 6 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]521959[/snapback]</div>

I think the latter. Over here it says 409 liters in the specs and that's often to the top of the cover.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you aware the cover on the compartment under the floor in the rear of the Prius can be left folded back, and there is a strut provided for the purpose, to increase the capacity?
    I believe the raised floor is only there to provide a flat loading floor when the seats are folded. Having the cover folded back makes the cargo space pretty big but I'm not sure that under floor space is included in the specs.
    Just pile stuff on top of the kids when touring.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wijnands @ Oct 6 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]522210[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh ic. Then it's rather inconsistent. Sometimes our SUVs have cargo capacities rated to the cover height, other times, it's to the roof.

I wonder how big the box is.