1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just had oil changed, ran out of gas at the dealer and now check engine light is on, code P0171

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by She2dancer, Oct 24, 2013.

1. She2dancer

She2dancer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    We have a 06, with 170k miles. Oil has been changed regularly at dealer with Mobil 1. Never had an issue. We tried a new dealership today (closer to my husbands work place). He was running late to the appointment, knew he needed gas, and guesstimated he would have enough to get gas after the oil change.

They changed the oil, drove the car out to him and it ran out of gas. They put some gas in, fixed a squealing noise my husband pointed out was not there when we arrived (supposedly spilled oil on a belt?) and he was on his way.

About 30 miles later check engine light comes on. We were far enough away and too late at night to turn around and bring it back, so I brought it to Autozone to run the code. Code is P0171 lean condition bank 1.

Any insight? We are headed back in the morning, but wary and want to be prepared....

Thanks in advance!

2. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    http://priuschat.com/attachments/cel_p0171-pdf.52710/

According to that: "If the vehicle runs out of fuel, the air–fuel ratio is LEAN and DTC P0171 may be recorded. The MIL then illuminates."

However, I would have expected it to come on sooner than what you're describing. Is it driving any different than usual? It may just need clearing if all is well. Maybe others will be along shortly with more insight.

Best of luck!

3. She2dancer

She2dancer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks so much! That makes sense and alleviates some stress...hopefully that's all it is ;)

It is driving pretty much the same, no hesitation. The only thing I'm noticing is a whining sound (like an extended high pitched beep) when I'm pressing the brake at speeds under 35...I've never noticed it before (but not sure if that's because I usually have the radio on...though it was detectable even with uh radio on...)

4. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're welcome :) Keep us posted if anything changes.

About that whining noise, that's normal, happens whenever your doing any significant regenerative braking. :)

HTC Evo 3D

5. She2dancer

She2dancer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    huh...who knew....guess I just need to turn my radio on louder...lol

6. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to check the oil level for over filling.

7. Ian Viney

Ian Viney New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know why over-filling would cause this error code?

Thanks.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it was caused by running out of gas