1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just had speakers, amp, and sub installed but have some issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MikeDS, May 30, 2013.

1. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys!

I just got my car back from the installer. Had comps installed up front and a 4 channel amp (2 for mains, rears bridged for sub). The installer ended up putting the tweeters on a plate with the woofer by my feet and (inadvertently?) left the sqwuakers on. He had just spliced into the factory wiring harness behind the head unit and I think he didn't realize he was leaving the sqwuaker inline.

I'm still debating if I should have him rewire it and possibly move the tweeter to a better location, but I might just deal with the sqwuaker myself.

How hard is it to get at that speaker? Does it involved a lot of dash removal? If I just clipped the wire going into the sqwuaker would that take care of it, or is there other stuff going on between the head unit and the sqwuaker?

Thanks!

Mike

2. BillyBuerger

BillyBuerger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I haven't done it myself but it doesn't sound difficult to get at the dash speakers (squawker). Just remove the side window panels then the speaker covers can come off. If he really tapped off the head unit speaker wires, then yeah you can disconnect the dash speakers and everything should be fine. Just remember that the wiring goes head unit -> dash speaker -> door speaker. So if you disconnect the dash speaker, the door speaker gets disconnected. If the door speaker is being fed directly from the amp, then you should be good.

See the sticky 2010 Toyota Prius model II Head Unit Upgrade for some good documents including info on getting at and dealing with the dash speakers.