1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just how rare are Honda Insights??

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by AussieOwner, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car is a dog on the market; just not as good as a Prius. It was designed to be a cut-rate Prius knockoff and on paper that makes some sense but it didn't work out as Honda planned. They'll never get volume sales with this mild hybrid so it's time for at least a major redesign but better to go with a from the ground up new FULL hybrid for the next go-around.

2. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sorry but the Honda Insight has never been a "cut-rate Prius knockoff". This statement is by someone that really doesn't know anything about the vehicle. The Honda Insight is a totally different hybrid system from the Toyota Prius. In addition Honda Insight came out before the Toyota Prius.

The Honda Insight is an IMA vehicle where the Toyota Prius uses the Synergy technology. This is why the Prius gets better city mpg while the Insight does better on the highway. The two technologies are vastly different. I've owned an Insight and currently own a Prius. They both have their advantages.

3. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bottom line is...the Insight is smaller, cheaper, and less efficient than the Prius. So I guess it's ok if you don't mind being cramped and, burning more fuel. It has to evolve to stay alive.

4. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove the insight. I did not like the ride or the seating

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw one of the original Insights on the Garden State Parkway last night. It was the only car doing the speed limit, so you couldn't miss it. :D

6. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 1st Generation Insights (2000-2006) got better mpg than any generation of Prius.

frodoz737 likes this.
  7. BJ_EVfan

BJ_EVfan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Honda Insight isn't incredibly rare, but they aren't super common. I see them on occasion here in Buffalo. I used to own one from 2010-2012, and I can say that the Prius is far more advanced in every way. The Insight gets good fuel economy, but it averages about 10 mpg less than I can achieve with my Prius C. I'll post a review of what I felt on my Insight relative to the Prius C here soon.

8. Southern Dad

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There were only approximately 66k of the first generation Honda Insight (2000-06)sold in the USA. There have been just under 60k of the second generation (2009-11) sold in the USA. The first generation Honda Insight was superior to the Toyota Prius of any generation in mpg. The air conditioner turning off when the engine would shut off wasn't a plus. Not having a back seat wasn't too good either. But they did get better mpg than any Prius.