1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just installed my Coastal EV Mode mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveSheremata, Mar 14, 2006.

1. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I got my package with the EV mod kit and my new 2" trailer hitch. It took me a while to install the mod as I ran into the usual orange pin problem where it wasn't set deep enough.

TIP #1: look at the female side of your connector and shine a flashlight into it... if you can't see the reclective glint of metal in the socket for the orange pin, like you can for the red wire next to it - do not pass go, do not even bother testing it out - push it in deeper.

TIP #2: if you can see any metal of the pin at the top of the plug, keep pushing. The top of the metal pin really winds up about 1.5mm beneath the top edge of the plug.

Anyway, I wound up testing it a few times over a 20 minute drive and I'm really impressed. Because we alternate between doing many little commutes within a 2 mile range and then 10 mile 70mph highway commutes, I can see us ising this a lot and saving us a bunch of gas when used properly.

I do think the kit is overpriced, but I still highly recommend it to anyone who lives "in town".

Cheers,
    Dave

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For some reason I had gotten the orange wire in and didn't realize it. I was surprised it worked the first time. I had marked the wire with a pen so if the mark was gone it was in far enough. I've used the EV mod just a little bit, like going from a store to home.

Yeah, for about the same price you can get the OEM button, but for my skill level, this was the easiest to install. The only real problem was that I had already installed the Auto-Lock kit and had to contend with it being in the way (indeed the white wire goes to same one in the EV kit).

3. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Say is it possible to connect the wires without tapping into the wire (ie. making a cut in the rubber)

SO basiclly is it possible to stick the wire into the pins in the plug ?