1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just installed new NAV/DVD head unit (with pics)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rrolff, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying the A2DP sound quality issues are related to the iphone?
    I have an android phone so maybe it won't be the same on mine.

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No - there are Bluetooth sound quality issues - the sound is *not* direct connect sound. It sounds like a car phone (a bit better - but you get the picture).

When you mentioned A2DP, I thought you were refering to the functions, and not general music/voice streaming.

I use A2DP daily for podcasts (Adam Carrolla) - and we use it for music sometimes, but if I'm wanting real listening, I need to plug in direct.

3. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No - but it looks somewhat similar. It's most likely 400x240. I'd check to make sure it has separate SD cards for GPS and SD stuff (music et al), what is the SD limit - I believe because it's running an older version of VWinCE (4.2), it may be limited to like 2GB - which may limit your GPS slightly (not major - but as an example, I have all Canada and the US, along with POIs etc etc - I think it would all come to more than 2G - but then you can pare it down a bit - eg I'm in CA - no need to load Oklahoma).

The description talks almost too much about GPS and its capabilities, and not the HU. Is the GPS changeable to iGO8?

Steering controls??? And what's up with 3 remote controls....... iPod compatibility to which iPods??? USB??? That one needs some serious background checks...

On first blush, I believe WinCE 4.2 is a warning (older technology) - but 4.2 should run most anything we need...

PS - ohhh ya - no bluetooth too - and look at the site link
    PSS - the website talks extensively about products - but it's all for year 2008 - we're almost into 2010...

I hate to use EBay links because they expire - if you want to try something - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GPS-...e4QQitemZ310163429860QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo seems closer... I Ebay searched Toyota GPS, and selected "car electronics", then go look around...

1 person likes this.
  5. Omni-TaG

Omni-TaG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    coooool !

6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not saying that link is anything good - my point is there are other things out there. More than likely, there are a boat load of HUs - you gotta look at all the features, GUI, support etc, and come to your own conclusion... Keep in mind, there is even a surround to adapt this to standard aftermarket HUs like Kenwood and Pioneer...

7. healthylaugh

healthylaugh boughtalottatoyotas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry, but I looked and looked and cannot find:

-the model number of the head unit you installed??

Anyone installed a working bluetooth A2DP module to the factory radio (so you can stream music from a BT enabled device) to a 2010 pkg. III?

I just got off the phone with Crutchfield and they said the USA-spec works with the 2009 Prius w/ 6-speaker JBL, but couldn't confirm compatibility with the 2010?

That unit is $179! Yikes! For that money, I'm giving serious thought to waiting until these NAV double-din head units with NAV/SD/HD radio/capability to use steering controls come in under $500 and just do it right!

TIA

8. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do an Ebay search on Toyota and PIP. Car DVD GPS Navigation Toyota Corolla PIP Digital Panel - eBay (item 270450409125 end time Oct-30-09 20:20:14 PDT)

That is the exact model I installed.

9. georgew

georgew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ebay listing does not list the exact model number so I can't say for sure if this is the same model, but...a very similar looking model is on the autodvdgps website for less $$$.

Special Car DVD GPS navigation Player with Digital HD Touchscreen for Toyota Corolla EX and other series : VW DVD Navigation - VW DVD GPS - VW GPS Navigation - Navigation DVD System

Maybe the OP can confirm if the model number he received is equal to QL-TYT720.

I would be very interested in seeing if anyone else experiences the same issues as rrolff. The radio changing stations by itself at startup doesn't sound very appealing to me.

10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm the OP - and yes - it looks to be the same. I bought the one in the link.

I would highly recommend buying via Ebay so you have recourse should the unit not perform...............................................................

I do not know my actual model number.

If you read back, I would also recommend waiting before purchasing. I still am waiting on bugs and questions.... No sense duplicating effort - but if you like, buy it....

11. georgew

georgew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Rrolff. Do you happen to know whom manufactured your unit? Seems like many of these companies use the same cases with different insides or software.

A member from another site was under the impression that autodvdgps resold Witson units but I can't find that particular one on their website.

Very appreciated...Thanks in advance.

12. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Antenna
    Here is a link to some pictures of european radio on prius gen3.

I had to cut the cables because the original plug is not ISO.
    The power to the antenna's amp is the brown wire.

1 person likes this.
  13. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How your mod is going? Any experience with backup camera/sensors and their integration with the Chinese HU? Did you you get any reply for SW bugs, you found? Thx for keeping us updated.

14. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To those who have watched the saga, I am very near the end. The manufacturer is saying it is hardware (AM FM bugs), and if they can't do something, I'll return this, and begin anew... I so love the NAV, DVD, sound etc - but buggy FM/AM (having to change stations whenever you turn on car, not being able to program certain AM FM buttons) is getting the best of me... They have a day to sort this out, or back to the Ebay seller it goes... I could easily live with it - and would be dancing up and down if there were no AM FM bugs..........

1 person likes this.
  15. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rolf, you didn't mention your experience with rearview camera. Is still in the box? Based on the limited rear view, I think the installation of HU with backup camera will be more then useful for a secure garage/street parking.

16. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I put in parking sensors and rear cam in a separate post - see this thread http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...tions/69601-very-cool-parking-assist-mod.html. I like the look and operation - the "system" (meaning camera and sensors) could be added as an aftermarket to factory or Kenwood - or Pioneer - or....

1 person likes this.
  17. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For those following the thread - I finally got with the seller, we got together with the manufacturer, and they have agreed to either refund, or fix the software issues.

They claim they want to get it back to make a hardware mod also - so they are paying shipping to get it back, refurb (new software, hardware fix), and supposedly, it'll work as it should (no more bugs).

On the hope that this works, I'm shipping it back for refurb. I've really grown to like the thing, and if they can fix the bugs, I'll be a VERY happy camper. Sound is great, and the NAV is out of this world (running iGO8 right now, but will play with Garmin, TomTom and Navigon when time permits)... Best feature is the guy who pops out of nowhere to inform me that I am 10 MPH over the speed limit...

1 person likes this.
  18. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW Rolf, who is a manufacturer of the HU, you purchased from autodvdgps?

19. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ...and send you a certificate thanking you for all the beta testing?

I have been very skeptical of these HU's, but if they sort yours out, I can see myself going for one. It would be very nice if they mated the HU with a custom bezel for the '10 Prius like the have done with some of the other models, e.g. Corolla.

Thanks for doing the dirty work & following up.

20. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked Qualir (AKA autodvdgps) about FM bug. They replied today, that the bug was fixed. We can believe or not China guys. It looks the 2DIN HU is made from two basic components/boards - Samsung processor based WinCe 5.0 for the GPS navigation and some legacy firmware for the rest functions. I asked Qualir for the unit inside picture, but it is unavailable. I also found the potential problem with the size of navigation SD. It is able to read just standard SD (no SDHC) and the max. capacity for SD is 2 GB (or I could not find bigger here in CZ), which can be a problem for the whole Europe TomTom map, which is itself 2 GB and we have to have the application at GPS slot as well.