1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just installed new NAV/DVD head unit (with pics)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rrolff, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Protricity

Protricity New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On closer inspection, those dash trim kits may not be actual trims, but just stickers you put on top of existing trims. If thats the case then scratch that idea.

2. Protricity

Protricity New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Accidental Repeat post, please delete

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Points 1,2,3 are correct.

Point 4 is a sticker not a surround (as you mention).

As for my HU, the MFG paid to ship it back - it's now in China. They have an engineer "testing it" - whatever that means...

My outstanding issues/questions are:
    1. AM/FM buttons do not work – this is the last button #8 – it cannot be programmed.
    2. FM buttons #1 do not work – you can program them – but they lose the programming
    3. If you turn off the car, it does not remember the last station.
    4. Changing US radio stations is crazy.
    a. AM stations (it was set for the US) move in 10Mhz increments. So if I tune 640 AM, I should get that. When I scan, it goes to maybe 638 AM. This is not good. You have to change the station by hand.
    b. FM is similar (I do not remember exactly – but I think it is similar – FM stations go from 88.9 to 89.1 to 89.3 (always odd number)

Nice thing to add:
    1. Always initialize the GPS when the unit turns on – people always use GPS – so the GPS signal is always ready.
    2. Give an option for 128MB SDRAM – the cost of goods is nothing – but you will get good reviews – with 128 you can run things like TTS (Text To Speech) etc.

Really at this point, I only care about the radio software bugs. I'll be very happy if those are fixed.

On a cost side, add $30-$50 for backup camera, and if you want to go crazy, $70 for DTV (converter box + antenna).

4. Protricity

Protricity New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went and purchased the 2 Din radio
    2 Din Indash DVD GPS Navi Toyota RAV4 Digital Panel PIP
    I hope it fits/works etc

I didn't buy the trim cover yet because the price is pretty silly expensive. I'm going to see what it looks like without (maybe put some modification on it) and then buy one when the prices come down.

In the mean time I'll continue looking for solutions for the trim.

Thanks for all the help

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi - to be clear on that unit, I would ask the questions before it's mailed. This unit is 200mm x 100mm - meaning it is a special size, and will *only* fit that expensive surround mentioned in the thread.

Anything that comes out aftermarket will be made for a 180mm x 100mm HU - so you are locked in to getting the $110 surround...

It will look like crap if you just mount it without the surround - you'll have a big hole in your dash.

You can't take anything off the current radio as it just won't fit/work.

Just FYI...

6. Protricity

Protricity New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The ebay page showed this for dimensions:
    Should be around 200x100

[​IMG]

7. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is the one I bought, and it does fit the 200 x 100 surround plastic. It has issues as mentioned.

8. Protricity

Protricity New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, I really appreciate the review and info. It seems to be exactly what I need since I never use AM and rarely use FM radio. I'll be interested in its video input functionality more than anything.

9. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is the resolution of this unit? I would not buy this kind of thing from eBay, especially if it is no name branded china made unit.
    Well, i hope you enjoy your unit and leave a review.

10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Resolution is 800x480 (which is far better than others)...

11. muellerfilm

muellerfilm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with snowykim, I was going buy this unit but I thought no name branded unit off ebay and then I looked for a name brand unit and found a top of line JVC for $200.00 more than the unit from China plus two year warranty and bigger 7" screen and HD radio options.

12. snowykim

snowykim New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is about average resolution. W505 alpine unit has 3 times more pixels than that. I understand number of pixels does not determine the picture quality, but at least it affects a lot to it and I rather trust name brand company who will back their product and name than no name chinese brand. For example, in LCD TV industry, not all 1080P TVs produce same quality images anyway. Do not get me wrong, I hope you have a great success for this unit but I want to play more safe game, maybe I am too conservative:confused:

13. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you talking about JVC KW-NT1 unit? It is priced around $1000 and it is trully 2Din (so smaller than the OEM dash trim opening). No one knows what navigation SW is used. As opposite the Chinese no-name is sized to perfectly fit (see rrolf's pictures) and priced about $500. The GPS SW is flexible as the unit deploys standard WinCe 5.0 operating system for its navigation part. But, yes, it is China no-name.

14. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right. But, rrolf also had to send his chinese unit back to China to get a lot of software bugs fixed. Who knows when or if he will ever see it again, and who knows if they will even fix the bugs, or make it worse.

I'd love to get a Chinese unit *only* because it would fit perfectly in the euro trim, but I just don't have faith that their user interface is going to be any good. I really wish I could demo one in real life.

15. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't advocate Chinese no-name production. We have to wish rrolf the deal success and early reinstall of repaired/returned unit. I thing the good sign is that ebay seller paid carrier's charge (if I'm right and remember well).

1 person likes this.
  16. Protricity

Protricity New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in the middle of teh Nav unit install and I have two questions:

1. Mounting the GPS Antenna under the left front speaker cover doesn't seem perfect to me because the speaker has a little bump and is no longer flush with the dash. I seem to have the exact same antenna piece as rrolff. I even removed a nut from the speaker to make room and there is still a bump. Was there a bump for you?

2. Any tips on wiring a backup camera through the car to the hatchback? I can get it as far as the back seat but no further.

Thanks for the help!

17. Protricity

Protricity New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update:
    So I got the doubledin in there and it works ok (missing gps software POIs for some reason). Now I'm seeing on the Dash screen 'Check Hybrid System' when I start the car, and the airbag light is on. Wth did I do?
    I did open up the right window column to get at the speaker but I seriously doubt I touched the airbag in any bad way. I don't remember having to unplug anything there. Anyone encounter this problem?
    Thanks!

18. muellerfilm

muellerfilm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The unit I installed was the JVC KW-NX7000 BT navigation/DVD receiver it is JVC best unit. The unit sells for about $1200.00 but I got mine for about $200.00 more than than the Chinese unit. The sound is incredible allot better factory head unit and I have had zero trouble with it everything works. It has larger 7 inch screen and screen is stunning. It is the best screen that I seen on a aftermarket unit. I have the Kenwood 9140 installed in my other vehicle and the JVC a nicer unit.

I also added the HD radio and works very well. When I turn the prius on and throw it into reverse the back up screen comes on right away just like factory NAV. Alot of units do no do this as they slow to boot up.

I really like the Garmin navigation and that is what kenwood uses and I was concerned about the JVC. So concerned that before installing the unit I temporally hooked it up to the cigarette lighter to test the navigation out. Well to my surprise it worked better than the Garmin that I liked so much. It also has many functions that I have never seen on a GPS. One of them you can do just put in a phone number and it will give you an address, this is very handy.

It also has NAVTEQ Traffic RDS and that works really well it will give you caution icons along the road and you just press on the sign and it will give you the warning ( traffic accident, road work ect.) It also features dead reckoning and keep the going through tunnels or any situation were the unit is not able GPS signal.

It is true this unit is a little narrower than the Chinese unit but with the fill in plugs that are made for this purpose it looks great. Now look at the pictureshttp://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-audio-electronics/72065-just-installed-new-dvd-nav-unit.html and it looks even better in person. And here is the best part the face plate is removable and that is big plus as I had a kenwood 6140 stolen out my Honda Element.

19. muellerfilm

muellerfilm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Protricity, My GPS antenna looked allot like rrolff's and I put mine in the same spot and had the same trouble as you. I trimmed back a little of the plastic on the inside of the speaker grill with a file so it would mount flush with no bump.

20. muellerfilm

muellerfilm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you disconnect the 12 volt accessory battery before installing the head unit. (I did on my install)
    It sounds like you pulled apart similar pieces as me but I pulled the panel on the driver's side airbag panel also it was that side that I pulled up the speaker grill to hide the GPS antenna under. There are alot of plugs and harnesses behind the dash but nothing thats not near the radio. I saw no plugs or wires near that side curtain airbag either that could be pulled loose.