1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Lost my engine shield

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by walter Lee, Sep 7, 2013.

1. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Today, on the way to the Lego User Meeting in Virginia driving at 65 mph in the morning on 495 - the oil change access door of my 2010 Prius III engine cover/ splash shield ( part 51410-12101) popped off - it made a popping noise when it broke. Couldn't stop because I was in the middle of a superhighway. It was half way off when I got to the meeting in VA. The Prius is so low - the shield was impossible to reach without a lift. On my way back home to Maryland, the oil change access door fell off completely albeit I didn't see or hear it fall off. My 3 year warranty is up and I have +38000 miles on the odometer so I'm pass the TSB 0032-11 coverage now. :oops: I've raised my car on Monday _ nothing else is damage - san a missing oil change access door. :rolleyes:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first i've heard of that. is it part of the oil change door flap?

3. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a parts diagram with parts numbers of the suspension crossmember and Under Cover for the 2010 Prius. 2010 Suspension Crossmember and Under Cover.png

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    At the dealer, it will cost you $300 plus........OUCH!

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Did some road debris cause it to pop off? If so, insurance would cover it (collision if the debris was stationary on the road, comprehensive if it was airborne). However, your deductible might be more than the price of the replacement part.

6. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You're in Maryland. I'm in Northern VA. I do most of my own maintenance. Check Midatlantic Toyota Parts website. They're in Richmond. I replaced the under cover for my 2007 Prius and all mounting hardware for a very reasonable price, about 1/2 what local dealer wanted. Also got air, cabin & oil filters; gaskets for transaxle coolant and ATF drain plugs. Good site to find your part numbers. Shipping costs reasonable on this light stuff.

7. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks for the tip. Found it. I had a 15% off any part coupon from a local dealership but this mail order center sounds much cheaper than that. I called them and I have to replace the entire engine cover assembly which involve removing and reattaching 22 bolts and plastic tabs - its suppose to take about 30 minutes to do. The replacement part mentioned in the TSB , part 51410-12103, has been replaced by a new engine cover, part 51410-12105. but the mail order place gives you a 25% discount.

ENGINE COVER - 51410-12105 | Buy Genuine Parts at Mid Atlantic Toyota Parts

8. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I not sure if I hit anything - I didn't see anything or feel anything that I could have hit. Very strange. My insurance deductible is pretty high - I'm not sure its worth the trouble.

9. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's part of a splash guard that covers the underside of the engine ( part number 51410-12101) which is held on by a bunch of plastic tabs and some metal bolts. The section that I lost is the rear righ quarter panel access door with t hinges in the front and plastic tabs in the right side and rear to hold in place. It is designed so you can access the oil pan and the oil filter for regular maintenance. It is insulated on the inside.

10. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can't hurt to comparison shop and take the best deal. I had to replace mine because of one too many parking blocks I went a little too far forward over.

11. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Today, I raised my 2010 Prius up on jack stands to check for damage.

Yes. what I lost was actually just the oil change door flap ( a 12 inch by 12 inch molded plastic shield with insulation on the inside) and the four plastic tabs which connected the flap to the much larger engine shield cover. My bad. I couldn't see much until I got underneath and I used the wrong terminology. I did not lose the entire engine shield - I only lost the oil change door flap part of the engine shield. I apologize for any misunderstanding. The oil pan looks to be in good condition and everything else behind the missing oil change door flap also looks to be good condition.

My research indicates that Toyota does not sell the oil change door flap door separately. You have to buy the entire engine shield assembly to get a new oil change door flap (plus you need to buy the plastic tabs to put the new one on ). It looks like Toyota is on its third redesign of the engine shield.
    I can't tell if the oil change door/flap design has stayed the same throughout the redesigns.

Removing and installing a new engine shield does not look that hard. :)

12. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Only problem: The flap is a flap. It's not a separate part, it's just a thinner bit of plastic on the undercover that makes a hinge, so the cut-out area acts like a door.

There's people around here who have cut off the flap at the thin piece of plastic area and, with pop rivets and a trip to Home Depot for some hinge material, have made the thing into a true door. Others just curse under their breath and leave the panel as is. And there's been semi-documented cases where oil change people have ripped it off by hand rather than play plastic fastener bingo. But since the flap is missing, you're out of luck. Unless you want to fabricate one from scratch, possible, I guess.

There's been arguments back and forth about how necessary that panel is. My thought: The Prius engine compartment is sort of designed to retain engine heat, the idea being that the engine has to be kept warm so when it turns on and off it meets EPA requirements, not to mention it's more efficient when it's warm. That panel does something about keeping air flow off the engine, so I'd argue that keeping a closed door in there improves gas mileage some. It probably matters less on long trips in warm weather since the engine would be running constantly anyway, but more in cold weather and short trips since it's then when it'd be more difficult to keep the engine hot.

Mine door started scraping shortly after an oil change at one dealer, then started grinding along badly whilst traveling the Garden State Parkway. Ripped it off by hand at that point, took the car to another dealer, and kvetched about dealer maintenance since, the last time I had seen the door (after changing my own oil), said door had been in good shape. They gave me a little argument, then replaced it for free. Around that time there also was a TSB on the undercover, presumably about busted doors and things being misshapen in general. Since the 2010 I had was subject to the TSB they probably got a refund from Toyota for the work.

I note that the door is arranged so the hinge is towards the front of the car, the opening being towards the rear. That means that if the obvious happens, like, say, somebody forgetting to put the plastic fasteners on, the wind stream would tend to keep the door closed without things dragging on the ground. The fact that the doors on my car, another Prius I spotted from a distance with their door dragging (funny that one can see under a car from the rear if one's far enough back), and others on this forum were all hanging down like an air scoop implies that the doors broke free either when the the car last saw maintenance (i.e., idiot oil-changing person, probably most likely) or it somehow just snapped standing there (a lot less likely). The idea that the door got damaged by running over a road hazard, unless it was a really significant road hazard, doesn't seem that likely to me, given the amount of flex the underpanel has.

Good luck!

KBeck

13. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked ebay for the part?

14. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  15. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes. No joy sofar. Still looking though.

16. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't worry about it. My oil change door was absent when I bought my Prius (66k mi). I haven't missed it.

17. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Won't see it. I've looked for 18 months.

Some overseas company could make it cheap, but they would have to make a lot of them to justify the molds. Then, again, it could be vacuum formed on a wood or plaster mold.

18. TwoUnderPar

TwoUnderPar Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius was missing the oil pan cover/door when I bought it. I took a piece of sheet aluminum and made one. Snip, snip, bend, drill holes, done. It's fastened with machine screws through some of the original factory holes already present underneath the car.

The aluminum replacement part actually "stiffens" up some of the adjacent factory plastic panels so they don't flop/flex as much.

I have to remove 4 machine screws to take it off. I change my own oil/filters.

19. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Attached Files:

Robert Holt and Mike500 like this.
  20. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The two large holes that take the large clips with the grey center are exactly 9mm in diameter and takes the 9mm OD of the rivet nut inserts perfectly without drilling.

One of the large clips hold the trailing edge of the permanently fixed edge of the bottom panel and the other one fixes the main part of the door flap.

Just replacing these two clips and using a 20mm long M6x1.0 screw and 1/4 inch fender washers is a great improvement. Practically, this will keep the flap of the door from ever coming loose and drag on the pavement. Even if the two other clips on the door pops out and are lost, the one screw will keep the door from dropping on the pavement. That's about a cheap $10 bit of insurance.

Robert Holt likes this.