1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Lost my engine shield

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by walter Lee, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks guys! Had not heard of riv nuts and now know what to look for and how to make "tool" o install them when this happens to me.

2. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took my 2010 Prius to my local Toyota dealer (not the dealer I bought the car from) after my oil change door fell off a couple of weeks ago. I have only had the car since July and only been in for service once. The dealer replaced my door for no charge even though my car is 1-month out of warranty and wrote it up as "good will one time" since they said they wanted me to keep coming back as a customer. So, you never know...!

MISC. ~|~CUSTOMER STATES COVER FROM UNDER VEHICLE CAME OFF SPLASH SHIELD , CHECK AND REPORT ~|~DUPLICTAED CUSTOMER CONCERN, FOUND DOOR FROM SPLASH SHIELD MISSING, GOOD WILL ONE TIME ONLY, AS PER SERVICE MANAGER ~|~REMOVED AND REPLACED SPLASH SHIELD, ALL OK OP CODE BD1104, T1-62 AND T2-12
    PARTS​

NAME​
    PART #​
    QTY​

COVER ASSY, ENGINE U 5141012105 1
    CLIP 9046709227 2
    CLIP 9046707215 2

WARRANTY PAY

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The oil change instruction in the Repair Manual says:

Regarding step 3, it's saying: don't just remove the flap fasteners and bend it down, remove the whole panel.

Steps 1 and 2 are totally unnecessary, but step 3 is not a bad idea. Problem is, the flap is apparently there for just that purpose, to give easy/quick access to the oil drain plug and filter. So everybody does just that, including service departments I'd surmise.

And the problem with that is the plastic spec for the undercover is not sufficient to allow flexing of that hinge. So repeated opening and bending back of that flap causes it to fail.

Maybe Toyota's revising the spec, I've read some report that the replacement covers are different, not exactly sure in what way.

For me, doing my own fluid changes, I just take the whole thing off, and have had no problems.

4. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are also things called Well Nuts that work great!

5. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    does anyone know it the Gen II Prii have an equivalent part? My cars missimg abunch of underbody panels. Although I have identified the one in the front and front/sides, the one in the center, which has the oil pan cover, remains a mystery. Scoured the interned and it's turned up nothing. I know that something is there but I don't know what it's called or what the part # is!

6. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply, Rude person's. I've definitely identified these parts as missing from my car, and will buy them and have my mechanic put them on; however, I believe there's one more piece, directly under the car, the thing the oil-pan cover/hatch is attached to. I also am thinking that it is the one which will attach to the backside of the bumper cover, the edge with bolt/clip holes that is not the edge which attaches to the bumper itself. I hope this makes sense.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Gen III has NO oil pan cover and oil change door.

Do you have a Gen III Prius? Your profile shows that you have a 2007 Gen II.

8. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do have a Gen II; I'd like to know if there's an equivalent part for mine; there is obviously a large panel missing from the underside of my car, directly under the engine; can't figure out what it is. I think it's in addition to the parts referenced in the links posted above.

9. bounce88

bounce88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had the same issue but only difference is I was out of warranty! So now I've been contacting Toyota but they do not feel they are at fault. The part is completely defective so why would I be responsible for the cost of replacement. If this is happening to other owners, Toyota advise that we contact them so if this is a common issue they will reimburse us for the repair. So please everyone take time to fill out the form and let them know we are not responsible for this DEFECTIVE splash guard. Toyota FAQs | Send Questions to Toyota Customer Service
    Please click on the link and let our voices be heard!

Wolfman33 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you can:

1. Somehow avoid that small flap getting bent back, stick to taking the WHOLE panel off.

2. Stay on top of broken or missing fasteners. (rinsing the grit out every time helps a lot)

The panel will last the life of the car. I agree though, this is a workaround, to make up for flimsy/brittle plastic specification: Toyota should fix this, has dropped the ball.

11. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you know the bolt size for the engine cover panel? My used Prius came without an engine cover. I just bought one for $50 and I have new plastic fasteners. I just need the bolts before I install it.

I changed the oil and transaxle fluid. Will be sending the transaxle fluid out for analysis. Installed powerful magnet plugs for oil and transaxle. Just turned 50,000 miles.

Robert Holt likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's an M6 I think, socket size 10 mm, by maybe 20 mm long. Might have a shoulder on it, I can take a look in a bit.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Has a captured lock washer and oversize washer. Toyota parts dept would be best bet, if you want exact one.

image.jpeg

Robert Holt likes this.
  14. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks so much! I appreciate the help. The transaxle fluid looked pretty good for 50,000 miles. It was a dark reddish color. I hope to have the engine cover on within a week. I wonder if I will be able to see a mileage increase (I'm guessing not much, 1 mpg). Too small to read probably.

I like your idea of removing the whole cover for oil changes, and save the wear on the flap door. I'm planning on 10,000 mile oil changes (once every 6 months).

My best mileage commuting 35 miles home from work was 57 mpg. Got behind a very slow driver and just followed them.

#35 HGS, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.