1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just need to vent...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mendel Leisk, Jul 6, 2022.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I used "altitude tents" in quotes. ;)
    It's a marketing thing.
    A hypoxia tent just doesn't have the same ring to it for the endorphin junkies....

2. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to boycot smartphones all together.

#1 I need an FM radio. I've been in a couple of natural disasters where there was no cellphone service, no internet service, and no homephone service, except maybe by satelite, which was also sketchy. All that and electricity were out for three whole days once. I had a radio in the car that didn't need plugged in like the alarm clock radio, but ironically the stations were transmitting a message from the local authorities warning us to stay out of our cars until the storm passed.

#2 I need a headphone jack. First of all, for FM radio. Second of all because nothing else makes sense. Bluetooth costs a lot more, needs to be charged, and doesn't offer any benefits over wired headsets. I clean toilets for a living so I need these to be strapped to my body. Wired headsets come with an intergraded wired strap; Bluetooth ones do not. And dongles are just extra cost and if lost require me to buy two things. I'm happy with $5 headsets ("earbuds") that I can work with, damage, lose, have stolen, or whatever else.

#3 Ok, so there are some smartphones that do #one and #two on this list. But I find carrying around the internet in my pocket a distraction. I have the last flip phone from my provider that doesn't come with Wi-Fi. No cellular internet, and I'm no longer a phone zombie.

#4 Plus I can slap the phone closed when I want to hang up on someone.

ETC(SS), John321 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been buying bulk Toyota 0W20 through a local dealership, since spring of 2016. Originally around $4.50 CDN per liter, bring-your-own-bottle. The paperwork hassle of doing this, AND the price has inexorably climbed; last time I was standing at the counter, for about 15 minutes, watching the guy type up the $9.99 CDN per liter invoice.

Phoned today: no further bulk sale, and bottle liters were $12.60.

My son has a Costco card: delivered to our door for free, 10 US quarts for $60 CDN

Still, one of the objectives with bulk oil was to avoid oil-contam'd bottles in the recycle stream. Ah well.

upload_2022-9-6_12-32-30.png :

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not much to vent about, minor quibble:

T-shirts, sweat tops and the like, used to all have a label on the back of the collar, easy to feel, helped you get them on right way 'round. Last few years I've acquired a few such items without the label, just some printing. Gets to be a pain, searching for bit of faded print, especially in low light. Lots of fun for the blind.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Many of my such shirts have a tag on the lower left seem.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A quick rant of my own.
    Why do some automakers bury basic model specs on their website, or even not have them? I'm talking basic things like dimensions and capacities.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1st world problem needs 1st world solution. Proximity sensor light switch? Polo and v neck shirts? Personal valet?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll take the printing over a label every time... I often cut labels off just because the shirt is more comfortable that way! And if you depend on a big clunky tag to know which way is the front of your shirt, well... I'll just leave it at that.

TGrracie and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Prefer henleys myself.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you like duckling?

11. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Many people are thought to reach their level of maximum competence. But I feel diff. I call it their max level of incompetence. Here's what I mean:

1/3 people are just skimming by. They're mostly incompetent.
    1/3 do the bare min and don't "get it"
    1/3 are truly experts and problem solve everyone else's screw-ups lol

It amazes me on a daily basis how this world doesn't collapse around us lmao

If you feel as I do then a valet is barely able to park your car. Think again about having them park yours

If I must use valet, I hit the a/c switch so they don't deep cycle my big batt. Tow truck operators are notorious for leaving the car in neutral while transporting. It's as if they are deliberately trying to destroy the car....And....discuss....

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a lot of people used to get very irritated by the labels - my wife certainly did, and would cut them out.

Then she'd cut them out of my t-shirts if she was borrowing one to sleep in. And I couldn't find the back of my shirt.

I've found that just styling it out by walking backwards all day does the job pretty well.

bwilson4web and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Here's another one. Take for instance priority boarding on a plane. People pay extra to board first only to have to sit and wait for everybody else. They could have saved the money and sat and waited out in the main lobby instead of sniffing all the butts that go by lol.

But wait there's more. In airline leases a gate pays the electric bill and pays for the renovation on the facility. If it takes 3 hours to turn a plane around between de-boarding and getting it back out of the gate and they operate from 6:00 a.m. to midnight that's 18 hours a day. That would be five uses of the gate per day at best. There's a lot of revenue wasted here. If you can turn that plane around faster you could have a smaller terminal and save money. When we board a plane from the front to the back row two has to wait till row one puts their junk in the overhead then sits down. Then row three weights still row two puts their junk overhead and so on. Repeat this 52 times and you find it takes 52 minutes to board the plane with the fools up front paying for priority boarding only to sit there and sniff nice person all the time. What a joke. I laugh as I go by. Here's the solution If you can get that gate turned over 10 times a day he could have a smaller terminal and save money. Besides the staff doesn't get paid until the door is on the plane shut. The staff would love nothing more than to get that plane boarded faster. Here's how you do it Just bored the plane from the back to the front. That way everybody walks on the plane at the same time puts their junk overhead sits down and shuts up. I could have that plane boarded in 15 minutes rather than doing it for an hour long process. It just amazes me that the world doesn't collapse on a daily basis because I shake my head with all the foolish stuff I see going on around me everyday. People are barely competent at what they do. But it's not even get me started out on all the things I see screwed up on a daily basis around this world

14. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You know why you don't have to pay for a carry-on? Because the people at the gate just want the damn plain filled as fast as possible. They don't really care if the airline makes money for you sneaking carry-ons on that you didn't pay for. Remember they don't get paid till the doors close on the plane. They don't give a damn if the airline makes a little extra money. Don't bother paying for carry-on stuff guys lol

15. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Okay here's another one. Brakes are a safety issue right? So why is it people unlicensed and untrained with no accountability are allowed to do brake jobs? Seems to me you should track that with a license number like the way you do doctors. And yet any fool with a wrench can charge for brakes? Seems dangerous. You wouldn't go to an unlicensed doctor would you?

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do they not do this in America?

It's pretty common in most countries I fly in and out of, although it does vary by airline. They don't do it completely row by row, but maybe 10 rows at a time, so they'll start at row 63-73 or whatever, and then 53-62, and so on.

17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If the people in power had any brains we would legalize Adderall and criminalize marijuana. Instead of ppl get'n da muchies and lazy, they'd get smart and skinny. 'Merika b like Idiocracy:

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With planes nearly full now, the last people to board are commonly finding no overhead bin storage space remaining. Those who paid for priority seating got first pick and often used more than their share.

Are you too young to remember when there was little priority pre-seating, and back-to-front block loading was the norm for most passengers at almost all airlines? It has been proven repeatedly to be quite inefficient. Most of the people actively putting their carry-on into overhead bins and trying to squeeze into a seat, are practically on top of each other, so only one or a few are actually making progress at any given moment. And many people already seated in aisle or middle seats are having to get up and out of the way to let window seat people get to their places.

Many other patterns have proven to work faster. A couple keys points are (1) at any given moment, the people actively storing luggage and getting seated should be spread out over the entire length of the aisle, far enough apart to not get into each others way, maximizing the number who are simultaneously making progress, and (2) windows seats should be filled first, aisle seats last, to minimize the re-juggling of previously seated passengers.

Even random seating has proven faster than block-back-to-front:
    Which airline boarding procedure is the most efficient? - CheapAir
    https://simpleflying.com/fastest-boarding-type-guide/
    Fastest Way to Board a Plane - Boarding on Plane

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Um, adderall is legal, and marijuana is still on the schedule 1 list.

Decriminalizing personal use amounts is just acknowledging the fact that the people aren't a threat to themselves or others, and putting them through the system just puts a burden on it while possibly making it harder for them to get help.

If you truly believe marijuana is a bane on society, a boss once said that someone that smokes pot after work is less likely to beat their kid than someone that drinks. The Prohibition party is looking for members.
    Home | Prohibition Party

20. Ryder99

Ryder99 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    In New Jersey and some other places each circle has different rules. Some the circle people yeild others it is the incoming that yield while others it is a free for all.

douglasjre likes this.