1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just need to vent...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mendel Leisk, Jul 6, 2022.

1. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, this makes sense....especially since it seems fine (after clearing the codes and resetting) but after a short drive pops back on. The tech probably didn't properly reprogram it in....will find out Friday.

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lawn Care Companies who send kids into your neighborhoods going door to door selling Lawn Maintenance Service.

If I wanted this service, I would call someone - I don't need a personal sales call at my front door.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep the TPMS is fixed. Technician had to re-read the sensors and stick them into the computer and reset it....problem solved.

I thought about buying an aftermarket TPMS reader to do the job myself (I have an Xtool D7 scanner) but it's really not worth the expense. (Not enough ROI.)

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A TPMS in cars that only report pressure and not temperature is just a half-baked design.

Bob Wilson

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It takes about 20 minutes of driving for the comm fail to reappear after it has been cleared with a scanner.

A working system will transmit as soon as you exceed 20 mph and will clear the tpms flashing/on light automatically.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The sensors in the wheel do report temperatures, and I can read them on my old ScanGauge. That puts the "half-baked design" problem at the car's user interface display end, not the sensor end.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Agreed! Both my 2014 and 2017 BMW i3-REx were coded to show pressure and temperature. My new 3d party Tesla scanner plans to show both.

Bob Wilson

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a TPMS tool set (separate RF reader and OBDII-port writer-reader at that time) after acquiring the household's second TPMS car that would be getting seasonal wheel swaps. Three dozen seasonal swaps among them later, it has been worthwhile. But for someone with just a single TPMS car, or without snow tires on separate rims, it likely is not worthwhile.

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  10. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been reading about the new Hybrid Max system available in the Toyota Crown...pretty impressive:
    --------------------------------
    The base XLE grade comes equipped with the 2.5-liter THS, AWD, three selectable drive modes, 19-inch alloy wheels, heated and powered woven fabric front seats and the all-new Toyota Multimedia System. But the HYBRID MAX is the one to get on the upper-level trim. The HYBRID MAX makes 340 horsepower and still gets 28 mpg, combined.

The HYBRID MAX gas motor makes 275 hp, but adds two EV motors for a combined 340 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque. It’s the most powerful Toyota sedan ever. It has almost 100 horsepower more than the base version. With the Hybrid Max you can expect a 0-60 mph time of about 5.5 seconds.

The other big bonus to the HYBRID MAX system is that you get a direct shift 6-speed automatic transmission instead of the broing continuously variable transmission (CVT) in the base care. But, those batteries and motors do add up. The car weighs 4,200 pounds, which is near pickup truck weight.
    ---------------------------------

Is anybody else wondering if, in the future, they'll offer a Prius with the Hybrid Max?

11. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Its not a feature. U.S. Congress passed the TREAD Act in 2000, mandating tire-pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) in all passenger cars and light trucks sold as of Sept. 1, 2007.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. ColoradoBoo

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In older (10+ years) cars, I know folks who don't want to fork out the hundred dollars, or so, for new TPMS sensors inside their wheel so, instead, add this device. (I have the same type for my RV camper and works great...tells me temps and pressure in real-time.)

Dang, they've gotten a LOT cheaper...

smart car tpms tyre pressure monitoring system digital lcd dash board display

14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Which is not to say that all cars display tire pressures in local units of pressure. My loaded '19 Rav4 will show me low compared to the standard when set but doesn't show the PSI. My wife's '22 Avalon does show the pressures in PSI. There is a small aftermarket addition which would enable the display in mine.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I sometimes go into Apollo 13 mode, basically consider where I'm at with a product, what has to be done to keep it working, and what's just fluff. We've had vacuum cleaners, on/off switch craps out, I'll just byppass it, vacuum gets turned on by plugging it in now. Maybe a little rough on the plug, not sure. But it works.

TPMS sensors, if-and-when they fail, I just can't get too excited. Don't even bother with taping the light. That's "fluff".

douglasjre and bisco like this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That might work for our Sprinter chassis motorhome ... but our MB has dual wheels - so we would need 6 sensors ... requiring buying 2sets.

GEEEZ - a whopping 22% of buyers saying these are a POS. Batteries cost more than the units, selling used, wrong readings Etc.
    pass .... too bad.
    Which brings up a gripe .... that Amazon seems to knowingly sell stuff that way too many people hate when they get it & have to go through the return policy or miss it by just a day & then they're SOL.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've had pretty good luck with amazon as a prime customer. they often stand behind products the mfg's/resellers won't. nothing major though.
    and if your in the 30 day window, returns are prepaid through the ups store, kohls or whole foods

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is Amazon really standing behind those products? Or are they just taking a pound of flesh out of the reseller's hide for that purpose?

hill likes this.
  19. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I haven't used the power switch on my vacuum in years. Can't see it's purpose

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It’s all the same to me