1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just need to vent...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mendel Leisk, Jul 6, 2022.

1. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You mean "braces." ;)

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sometimes though - the "Hee"Haw" look is just not apropos. Otherwise yeah .... that solution works just fine.

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    #1143 Stevewoods, Oct 8, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Velcro on the outside, bottom of the shirt tail and inside of the trousers.

Bob Wilson

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Automobile forced financing. Just listening to CBC radio Cost of Living on this. An elderly man and his daughter, scouting a car purchase for him. He had the cash, but dealership insisted he finance. Ended up they were asked to “leave the premises”.

makes sense, like larceny, I suppose. And no law against it.

Thoughts.

cyberpriusII, John321 and Stevewoods like this.
  7. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Of course that isn't right.

When closing the deal after an internet purchase of our last vehicle the sales rep insisted we finance it to take advantage of the $500 financing deal. After repeated badgering I gave in knowing that we freeze all our credit so that when they ran their credit checks it would be impossible for them to approve us for any financing. Sure enough about 15 minutes later the sales rep walk back in and asked if we had experienced any instance of identity theft. I told him we hadn't but keep all our credit frozen so we never have to worry about it. I had planned to buy the car outright by using a check to fund the purchase. Knowing that they couldn't finance the car for us - which I never wanted to do the sales rep said we didn't qualify for the $500. He already had the deal written up that way, so it posed a problem for the Dealership. It was near the end of December and we had negotiated the very best deal and agreed on the price - long story short the sales rep said he would have to talk to his Manager - eventually we split the $500 financing discount and received $250 of it even though we didn't finance the vehicle.

That was the 2nd car I have bought using a check and it has worked out very well for me.

cyberpriusII and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah that's one of the absurdities I heard on the radio: you will get a discount for financing. You know that discount circles 'round and bites you eventually.

It is truly a Looking Glass world now. Credit card companies call clients who pay off the balance every month "deadbeats". Sad thing is, it all makes sense.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've never been kicked out of a dealership for paying cash, but the first time I did it I could see the staff was clearly displeased.

Hey, I had no idea the big boss made them all stay late so they'd be available when we closed the deal on that car..

So the second time (different dealer) I made certain to close it earlier in the day. That guy still had a bulging vein when I pulled out the check...

And then there's this kind of nastiness, via Jalopnik.

cyberpriusII and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    In 1990 the Ford dealer had a $1000 discount for "First time Car Buyer" financing. The Ford Probe We were buying was $9000. So I asked the sales rep how do you define a "First Time Car Buyer" (note: I had bought several cars previously, all for cash). He said that if there was no record of financing a car, you qualified. I financed the car, got the discount and repaid the loan the next week.

JeffD

cyberpriusII likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You got lucky. With the 30 pages of boilerplate that nobody reads, a lot of times there are penalties in those contracts where if you buy out the financing any earlier than 90 or 180 days ... Ka-ching

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Last time I financed it was through my credit union, and those are usually less shady than a dealership. (Plus, if the dealership has changed the number on the day you return to pick up the car, you're like, "well, X was the number on your out-the-door quote, and X is the number on this check I've brought...."). And the credit union doesn't add any prepayment penalty.

But even at the credit union, it's still n pages of boilerplate, and the loan officer I was working with watched me read about the first page and a half and then actually said "here, why don't we sign it now, and you can read the rest later if you want."

I assured her I wouldn't take it personally at all if she wanted to go take care of other things while I was reading it, but the sign now, read later thing wasn't happening.

Worst are the ones who hover while you read, doing color commentary: this paragraph is just saying such and such, this next one just means so and so. If you weren't talking in my ear, I could read faster.

fuzzy1, Merkey and cyberpriusII like this.
  13. Ryder99

Ryder99 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Some shithead clipped my car the other day. From the damage it looks like they tried to pull out forward (we were parked nose in to each other) and grazed the bumper and the passenger mirror.

I wish I caught them doing it. :mad:

14. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Drivers running stop signs.

dcamgif.GIF

That happened a few years ago, but I randomly found the dashcam video clip today when I was looking for something else.

I had the right-of-way, but the person in the white jeep blew the stop sign. A very close call...

15. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Scary situation!

Great road awareness by yourself and defensive driving maneuver

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And at other such intersections in this state, you'd have a Stop - Except Right Turn sign.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, there's a few of those in my neck of the woods.

That particular intersection has apparently had some action before. The road with the stop that the jeep driver passed actually has two stop signs, one on each side.

I expect that driver was confused by the black pickup stopped in the oncoming lane of the main road, right at the verge. He had his flashers on, was stopped for unknown reasons.

We have learned to be a bit gentle using that crossing in all directions, and especially during deer season.

When prepping the video for upload I noticed that the Jeep had a New Jersey plate. Death to the taylor-hammers! :eek:

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thought I’d recycle a few electric tea light batteries; one thing led to another…

Attached Files:

19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I HATE IT when one thing LEDs to another.....

20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    drumsting.gif