1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just passed 100k got my first check engine light

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PatricioDaSilva, Apr 16, 2022.

1. PatricioDaSilva

PatricioDaSilva New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2018 Prius just passed 100k and I got my first check engine light.

I thought it might be the gas cap loose. Well, it was. Whew! I thought. However, I drove it a hundred miles and the check light didn't go out like I believe it was supposed to. Thing is, I noticed my gas mileage improved. I was getting 52mpg now I'm getting 57 ! What would explain that?

Anyone experience this at 100k with your 4th gen prius ? What was wrong?

Anyway, going to service it first thing Monday, and, by the way, the car runs perfectly, and always has. Changed the oil regularly rotated tires, every 5k etc. I haven't changed the HV Filter and maybe I should do that, and just take it in for a good overall inspection. I just found out I was supposed to change it every 10k. I hope I didn't damage anything.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After the service visit, you can post here what diagnostic code(s) got read from the car, and then we can say more about why the light was on.

Regrettably, we can't say very much just by knowing that the light was on, or even that the car runs perfectly or not.

3. PatricioDaSilva

PatricioDaSilva New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I got the PO300 code. Misfiring. I'm having new plugs and coils put in.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that doesn't bode well...

5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Shotgun approach - NICE.... I believe the spark plugs are at or near the end of their service interval. Ask for your old parts back. You can look at the spark plugs to see how each cylinder is burning - though you won't know which plug came from which cylinder. It'll give you a clue to what to go after next if this doesn't solve your P0300 issue. It would be nice, if you just burned the tips off of your spark plugs; that way you know definitively that you solved the misfire.

IMHO: Get the ATF changed, if that hasn't already been done. It's cheap insurance, if your planning on keeping the car. Has the EGR been cleaned out.

#5 BiomedO1, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  6. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If the evap (or other fuel system components) have a problem it can make the computer show you as getting better MPGs but it’s only a fictional number on the computer while in reality your MPGs actually are lower,

7. Jburner

Jburner Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is EGR clogging up even an issue on the 4th gen? I thought it was a redesign and not as susceptible to the 2nd and 3rd gen EGR issue.

8. ken2116

ken2116 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The HV battery filter is easily checked. The usual maintenance is to just vacuum it from the outside at recommended intervals. I hadn't done that but pulled mine out at 50kmi and it was essentially clean, just two small pieces of fluff I picked off with my fingers. Vacuumed it anyway and put it back in. Labeled the date/miles on a piece of masking tape mounted outside above it.

Before taking to the shop I also check/clean/replace the engine and cabin filters and label similarly - most dealerships I've been to try to sell me replacements at ridiculous installation fees despite their condition. They also try to sell fuel system cleaning, suspension alignment, and various flushes despite no evidence of their need.