1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just picked up a gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Unproductive1, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Unproductive1

Unproductive1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So far happy about the car, its a 2012 five trim level with 90k, $9700, full service records as verified on the toyota owners site, all done at the same dealer.
    I had a hard time finding a five, really wanted the larger wheels and LEDs. I could have gone with aftermarket wheels and aftermarket HIDs but I do like the bug eye look to the 4 LED projectors, it looks hideous and funny at the same time.

Things done so far:
    Installed a Directed 5x10 remote start and alarm function, glass break sensor, shock sensor, and Clifford two way remote.

Cleaned the battery fan, used "nuts about bolts" handy video.

Things I still need to do:
    Replace front sway bar end links, car is making an audible popping sound when driving slow, sounds like only from front left, checked and found front left end link is aftermarket and has slight up n down play, and super stiff, right side is OEM with zero play but not super stiff (some rotation along shaft axis as it should). Ordered a set of moog endlinks, says should have zerks on them, looks like a super easy install, I don't even think I have to take off the tires to install them.

I want to disable the door handle sks thing, is there a way to disable the sks for doors but not the power button?
    I used the radio display car settings to tell the car to ignore the smart key, for some reason I thought this would be just for the doors but it also ignores the power button sks. I freaked out the next day when pushing the power button did nothing, after pushing the button 5x I realized what happened, held the fob up to the power button then re-enabled the smart key in the car settings.
    Im guessing I can just unplug some kind of connector that goes to the door handles, but then I would have to find the same on the rear hatch.

Need to check the life of aux battery, i can't find my DMM right now so need to hold off on that, will pick up a free DMM from harbor freight tomorrow.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the battery is removed from the fob can it still be recognized and boot up the computers? To me, having to use the mechanical key to unlock the door is so 20th Century.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hang on, they hand them out like party favours, lol?

Maybe a ploy to get you in there, then they've got you, you'll come out with an arm's load of other stuff. Or, you'll crack and get pricey multi-meter, and maybe something like the Solar BA5 as well...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)

5. Unproductive1

Unproductive1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Honestly I'm just paranoid about people trying to use those range extenders searching for the remote and unlocking the car.
    Car still unlocks when using the lock unlock button on fob.

If you find the right coupon for the DMM, usually it's just the free flashlight or screwdrivers. Just need to make a purchase of some kind to get it free, doesn't matter the cost of the item you buy.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I get a lot of my tools there (including several DMM's) :).

As long as you go in with a plan, you won't fall into the trap;).

7. Unproductive1

Unproductive1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Update, just installed the sway bar end links, car is quiet as can be now, no more popping sounds.
    Also did not require removing the wheels, just drove it up on some ramps.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.