1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just placed an order for an HID projector retrofit kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by VFerdman, Oct 24, 2018.

1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The kits I linked to are meant for retrofitting the halogen headlights. I think there is a kit for factory HID as well, but I must ask: WHY? If you already have HID, stay with it. It's been designed for the car, your car has auto-leveling system. The only difference is the factory HID in Gen 2 Prius is reflector based, not projector. This should be fine. I never compared factory HID to halogen on gen 2, but I am pretty sure factory HID are fine. People complain about frequent failures of the bulbs, but I have not heard complaints about the quality or intensity of light produced. If you are dead set on going to projectors, you can go with the non-threaded stem type retrofit that fits into the halogen headlights. Those you need to actually epoxy in place and are not reversible, but can definitely be done. It will be more expensive and more work to do, but again, WHY? Another way to go is to buy halogen headlights on ebay for Gen 2 and go from there. There will be some electrical work to figure out, but nothing complicated. Again, if my car already had HID, I would just keep them. Are they not bright enough? As I said, my cheapo retrofit kit from TRS ($150) is not super bright. I would need to go to $300+ to get more brightness.

2. Shaunius

Shaunius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Ferd,

The issues are real, I've had my fair share of problems with the factory HIDs most possibly the only flawed factory Toyota Part on this vehicle and the brake actuator. I ended up going with the following kit:

BI-XENON: MORIMOTO MINI D2S STAGE III
    Panamera Shrouds

Wish me luck on the install :)

SFO likes this.
  3. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great news! Keep us posted. Maybe start your own thread on your install and post a link here. Best of luck. TRS is good stuff. Did you call and talk with someone there to recommend this kit or just decided it will work on your own? The cool part about the halogen headlight bucket was that the cheap kit is made to screw right into the halogen bulb opening in the headlight. I did not need to glue or do anything crazy like that. Just attach the projector with that threaded rod and good to go. It registered itself based on the halogen bulb prongs, so it was positioned correctly and it can even be undone if I want to go back to halogens (that will not happen :) )

Anyway, hope your install goes well and you are happy with the new lights.

4. Shaunius

Shaunius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ferd, after so much research I think I may have feel in love with a better looking style I really think the top horizontal projectors suit see how the tops of the shrouds are forcing the round projectors to be circular everywhere but the top, i think i like that look a lot, do you or anyone following this thread know where these projectors / and or headlight assembly can be purchased? Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 6.00.18 PM.png

#24 Shaunius, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019