1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just purchased 2005 Prius, all dash lights on, AC works, drives fine, then limp mode, turn off/on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Archer472, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just bought a Prius with all the lights on. It will drive 2-15 miles with no problem, then it will go into limp mode and have minimal power. If I pull over, turn the power off and then turn the power back on again, it drives fine for awhile (10-20 minutes) then it happens again. The AC, lights, stereo, etc, all work fine. I called one Hybrid place who said it sounded like I need a new battery, I haven't had it looked at yet because I don't want to pay $120 diagnosis. I am in San Diego if anybody can help.

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I agree with "one Hybrid place," but without knowing the codes, no one can be sure.

You absolutely, positively need to get the codes read. Period.

Options for code reading in my signature.

Good luck,

Steve

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you buy the car with the lights already on? Knowing there were problems with the car?

4. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What's "One hybrid Place? I bought a code reader OBD diagnostic interface but it comes with Cd-rom and I have an Ipad with no disc option on it, will AAmco read allcodes
    I bought it at auction and got the wonderful surprise of all the lights on. The switch to limp mode didnt happen until a week later

5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    You said you called "one Hybrid place". I agree with them. You probably have a bad battery.

I don't have enough information to help you with your code reader. You may have all you need, but it's impossible to say with so little information.

I'm not familiar with AAmco. Autozone & Oreilly can in AZ, but the quality of the reading is hit or miss.

Again, I direct you to the link in my sig for other options.

Hope you got it ridiculously cheap. It was likely sent to auction with a known battery issue.

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got it for $3850, I called one guy who worked for a hybrid place, now he quoted me $1000 for a battery 1 year warranty without seeing it, another I saw online will do it for $565 , or I can opt for a 2015 battery put into an 05 shell for $1500 installed, I want to make sure that is the problem though

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most of these "2015 battery into a 05 shell" is just talk. Unless you can decode the barcode dating, they could give you anything and you won't even know. Your only protection is to pay with a credit card, cash will be very risky.

We had a member on here that just sold their white 2005 with a failed battery for about $1800

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Where are you and where did you pick up such awesome deals, it has 173,000 miles on it. I just bought a Blusmart code reader that hoks to android, will that do Prius codes?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe all the stories you hear online has misguided many buyers that the Prius can go 300,000+ miles. Although many have gone that distance, very few have gone that distance without repairs/replacements of expensive parts.

The design of the Prius was only rated to go 180,000 miles. So you pretty much bought a car at the end of it's service life. It's reasonable to have a HV battery replacement and possibly other expensive parts fail as you keep driving the car.

You can try the Blusmart code reader, it may work. Most people use the MiniVci cable from Amazon/Ebay. It's about $25 and connects though a windows computer.

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Phoenix. Craigslist.

I refer you yet again to the link in my signature where I tell you to get OBDFusion for the iPhone/pad with the wifi OBDII readers. If what you bought hooks to Android, I tell you to use Torque Pro.

11. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Codes show cell 2, cell 3 need replacing, a guy says he can rebuild the cells and guarantee only the work he does for a year for $565. I am assuming I can get $5500 once this is complete. Other option would be buy that 2015 installed at $1500 and try to sell for $7000 which seems it would be tough. Thoughts?

12. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    So, you bought this car to resell? You're slapping on a band-aid and passing your problem on to someone else.

Good luck. I hope you don't end up screwing someone.

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Uh, yeah, I bought the car for $3850 and am selling it for a little more, I don't feel I was screwed at $3850 so why do you feel someone else is getting screwed with a working battery for probably 5k, carfax says car worth $1900 more than blue and blue is $4500

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The price of the car is only worth what people are willing to pay......carfax and bluebook is just nonsense.

You would have a hard time selling the car for $5000.....especially with no service records and owning it for such a short period of time.

strawbrad likes this.
  15. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I feel you were screwed at $3850. It was likely sent to auction with a known bad battery. A high mileage Prius at auction is for suckers more often than not. You bought a $2,000-2,500 car at its design end-of-life for $3850.

Personally, I'm interested in helping folks get their vehicles on the road because they actually want to drive them and struggle to swing the cost of a new replacement pack. I'm not interested in investing my time to help you make a profit by flipping a car. See how that works? You're asking us to help you make money. Pay me my hourly rate, and we can talk offline.

I would encourage you to select an option with a transferable warranty and fully disclose the maintenance performed. You will be lucky to break-even...

san diego for sale "2005 prius" - craigslist

edthefox5 and strawbrad like this.
  16. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With a band aid repair like swapping just the bad cells the battery will soon fail again.

17. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well S Keith, this is a free chat line and you didn't have to respond...lol.. like you aren't peddling your freakin' videos when you answer.

18. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't peddled a single video, and i have no videos to peddle.

Had you made it clear that you were going to flip a car from the outset, I wouldn't have wasted my time on you.

edthefox5 likes this.
  19. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also Keith , obviously you don't know what Prius go for in San Diego , we have to pass emissions unlike AZ, average price 2005 Prius is $5500, you see some at $3600 or so but this is a one owner, dealer maintained clean car, you could eat off the engine. I just sold a 2003 beetle with 161,000 miles for $2995 and a 2004 Sebring convertible for $2695, so either you have 0 sales skills or cars are cheaper in Arizona.

20. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Check your facts. While not all of AZ is subject to emissions, the major cities are. This includes Phoenix and Tucson. Cars will not pass emissions with an active CEL. Cars older than 1996 actually get a sniff test on a dyno. AZ does not have the restriction that a seller must supply a smog certificate to the supplier like CA, though there are restrictions on dealers.

Prices advertised are usually higher than the actual transaction price. I'm going to guess you came down a little on the prices of those vehicles when you sold them. You must the king of selling cheap old crap for < $3,000. Good for you. I just sold a 2006 223K mile Honda Civic Hybrid for $3,800, so I probably don't totally suck at selling. I came down $400 from my asking price. They actually offered $4000, but I came down another $200 because I felt $3,800 was exactly right right price for the car, and his wife REALLY wanted it. I didn't feel right exploiting that.

Finding a sucker isn't a skill. It's exploitation. Kinda what you're doing here. Not something in which you should take pride. It's kinda a shitty quality of typically shitty people.