1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just purchased 2008 Prius with problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Geoffzie, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Geoffzie

Geoffzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just purchased a 2008 Prius a week ago that had the "no upper display" problem. After reading on-line, I disassembled the dash and removed the printed circuit for the display ... replaced the problematic 100Fu capacitor with a 220Fu capacitor ... Also cleaned the lenses and the mirror while I had it apart ... Reassembled ... Everything works fine now.

I had the BRAKE, ABS, and VSC lights on (although everything, including ABS worked fine) ... So I did a reset with a paperclip in the OBD port / push brake peddle 8 times while starting ... Lights went out.

But now I've got a NEW problem! I was trying to see if there was someway to bypass the TPMS (the ECU module is under the Start Button dash panel above the steering) ... I don't know, I may have shorted something out!

Now I've got an ABS light on ... ALL the positions on the shift position indicator on the upper dash are flashing off and on ... The Energy display is on, but shows NO activity and NO battery level ... The gas gauge is flashing from empty to full rapidly! ... And I've got NO POWER STEERING!

What in the world!

Obviously, my regular code reader won't read the codes I need ... Is there a program I can install on my laptop to read codes?

I figured that's where I've got to start!

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Geoffzie

Geoffzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    By the way, I've been driving it for a week with no problems, I drove maybe 200 miles ... Even before I fixed the upper display ... And before I reset the ABS / VSC lights ... It seemed to run fine and everything worked.

Car has a new 12V Toyota battery ... And the Hybrid battery was showing about 13.9 volts.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Until you can supply more detail about this part, what you did, what you observed when you did it, and what your efforts have been to undo what you did, you're kind of asking people to make blind guesses in a situation that is likely to be ... unique.

4. Geoffzie

Geoffzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm not really sure what I did ... other than trying to jumper the terminals going to the TPMS ECU ... Then I saw the ABS light go on in the dash. When I tried to drive it, that's when I realized I had no power steering.

I really did nothing to resolve the issue ... other than reassemble the TPMS, and check some fuses That's why I figured the best place to start would be to read any codes.

What do I need to read the codes that my OBD-II reader won't read? ... A laptop program of some sort?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, there are a bunch of threads you can find here about code readers. an old Windows laptop with a J2534 dongle and Techstream is a popular combination. I'm more concerned by this TPMS experiment. Which terminals did you jumper? On what information source were you relying as to what those terminals were for?

It wouldn't hurt to read codes, and in fact even without a special reader you already know how. The two terminals of the OBD-II port that you jumpered to clear codes with the brake pedal business will cause the brake system trouble codes to be blinked out at you on the dash lights so you can count the blinks. That's really what jumpering those terminals is for. (I never get used to seeing people think of it as a way to clear codes without finding out what they are.)

So there might be codes, and they might be useful, but it could also be possible the TPMS experiment may have created some electrical consequence somewhere that the engineers wouldn't have anticipated or provided a code for.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Usually people get a "mini VCI" cable with a copy of Techstream on ebay or amazon. I hope you didn't send voltage into the CAN data bus.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Geoffzie

Geoffzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had a broken wheel stud on the front wheel, so I had to disassemble the front brake caliper (this was even before I had a working dash) ... I assumed that's when the BRAKE, ABS, and VSC lights came on in the dash ... The ABS and VSC worked properly before and while the lights were on. We have snowy weather here, so I know they worked.

After reading other Prius threads where someone changed front brakes, then had the dash lights issue ... Their solution was simply to clear the codes with a paperclip ... Apparently, the brake job triggered the lights ... It worked for me and the car ran fine after they were cleared.

I know it's my stupidity for trying the TPMS jump ... But I had done it on my 2008 Toyota Sienna a few years ago ... And it has worked fine. Apparently, for some reason, there's no way to do it on the Gen 2 Prius (I find out NOW) ... Although you CAN on the GEN 3 Prius. My information sources were various Yaris, Tacoma, and Lexus forums where a similar working fix was described ... Once again, the Gen 2 Prius seems to be the only Toyota (that I'm aware of) where it doesn't work.

I'm going to begin by checking fuses today ... Power Steering fuses and ABS fuses ... Need to find out where they're located.

8. Geoffzie

Geoffzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok, I fixed the problem today ... It was a 7.5A fuse under the dash ... Fuse #6 - ECU - IG For: Smart key system, power windows, touch screen, electric power steering, theft deterrent system.

Everything works again (didn't realize a little 7.5A fuse could cause so many problems!)

The only warning lights I've got on the dash now are: TPMS and Check-Engine light. The Check-Engine light is a P0420 code ... When I bought the car, the guy told me that someone had stolen the lower CAT, and someone welded in a straight pipe to replace it ... He claims he bought the car at an auction and it was that way when he got it.

At least no one is going to steal my CAT! The car runs great! ... I like it ... I've just got to learn to work on these things!

By the way, my hybrid battery is showing 13.9 volts ... what's the normal "Good" range for these batteries ... Before they need replaced?

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just looked up the diagrams- TPMS is on the MPX bus, as is the combination meter, transmission control, sks stuff, A/C control, power source control, etc, but not the power steering.

Gotta see what can still talk on that car with techstream.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.