1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Purchased Used 2012 G3 Model 4 - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by VintageGold, May 16, 2018.

1. VintageGold

VintageGold Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As the title says, I just bought a used 2012 Gen3 Model 4 last Friday. It had about 170K miles on it, which, I thought, it being a Toyota, would be OK. The CARFAX showed all the maintenance had been done on the car for the life of the vehicle and it was services at regular intervals by a Toyota dealer so I didn't get a 3rd-party opinion at a shop.

Monday morning was colder than it has been and when I started it (I live in Utah, it dipped to 46 F overnight, not that cold, but colder than it had been), I experienced a rough engine start and thought the engine was going to fly apart. I freaked out and shut off the engine. When I started it again, it had gone away but the check-engine light was on. I took it to a shop who was able to read codes P0300, P0301, and P0302 - Cylinder Misfire. I later found this forum and this thread discussing the exact issue - Rough engine start | PriusChat. The same thing happened again this morning and I was able to get a short video.

I took it to a mechanic today to have it looked over. He would have like to keep it longer for a more thorough diagnostic, but I mentioned the few threads I found here, like this one - Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat - discussing using an OCC to eliminate the engine knock. With the car started and the ICE running, he took off the oil cap and felt the air pumping out of the top of the engine and had me do the same. It was A LOT of air, which he noted was because of the blowby (as discussed in the thread by danlatu). He also mentioned it could be the spark plugs or timing belt/chain need replacing.

Here's my question: How concerned should I be? In my zeal to purchase a car for what I thought was a good price, did I screw up and get one that was worn out? Do I need to have the engine rebuilt and new piston rings installed?

I'm not looking forward to A) Pumping a lot of money into a car I just bought and, more importantly, B) Telling my wife I messed up by not having a 3rd-party mechanic look at it.

2. VintageGold

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As a small update, I've continued to have issues with the violent engine shaking at other times of the day, not just first start in the morning. Today, for example, I drove the car about 20 minutes, parked for about an hour, then drove it again and had the shakes. The same thing occurred this afternoon under similar circumstances. I'm really starting to worry that I might blow a head gasket, or something.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check to see if the dealership you bought for have a 30 day warranty, most do. Show them the footage and have them fix it at no charge. You maybe looking at a honda civic hybrid in the near future, steer away from Toyotas.

4. VintageGold

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, but what's the fix for this? Clean the intake plenum (remove all floating oil/water/fuel) and get an oil catch can?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    read the head gasket threads, hopefully, it is not compromised.
    all the best!(y)

Yukee likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would do that right away.

Also, clean the EGR cooler. Here's a thread about that. at 150k miles the egr valve cooler assembly should be cleaned | PriusChat
    I hear that it's a pain in the patootie, so some people get one off ebay, make sure it's clean, and swap them out. Then clean the old one to have as a spare.

7. VintageGold

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As a long overdue update to my issue, it did turn out to be the head gasket. The knock continued to worsen right up until I took it in to replace the Intake Manifold, spark plugs, PCV valve, and have the EGR system cleaned out. I was leaking coolant and had to add about 2-4 cups a day (my guess, I have no idea how many cups it holds). I asked the shop to take a look and they did a pressure check and were able to see the coolant leak.

It turns out after putting the VIN into the Toyota owner's page, a customer reported the exact knocking issue with the same recommended diagnostic procedure - coolant pressure check with camera. This issue was reported to Toyota only 124 miles before I bought the car and sadly wasn't on the CARFAX report. I called up the dealer and sent over an email with a report on all my research here on PriusChat and the work I had done on the car. They agreed to replace the engine if I bought an extended warranty. Thankfully it's half the price of a new engine install (I know some could do it for cheaper, but I don't have access to the resources to do it myself). Still waiting on the repair and have a loaner car in the meantime. I plan to put in an OCC once I get the car back. Hopefully with the newer engine and considering all the new parts and cleaned out EGR, this will keep things running smoothly for a long time.

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check with carfax buyback policy; if you buy a car with carfax saying clean but later you find out they missed out on information like knock with proof/evidence which you do, carfax will buy the car from you in full.

VintageGold likes this.
  9. VintageGold

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I looked into this and it has more to do with it having a Branded title, which I'm fairly sure this wouldn't be. There may be something else my situation may qualify for, so I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the idea, @grid.