1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just received my new Prius but have a problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BT Tech, Apr 28, 2005.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jeff:

Well I still don't consider it outright dangerous or scary. Just that in an otherwise perfect car, it's a nagging detail for me.

If you want to talk about a vehicle that I had high expectations for, and it failed all of them, let's talk about the 2000 GMC Sierra that I special ordered.

Explain to me how GMC could release to the public a pickup truck - some of which are actually *used* as work trucks - with parking brakes so anemic and poorly designed that if you didn't have them adjusted every 6 months, they would fail to hold the truck on level ground? Or how conveniently off warranty they needed to be replaced at enormous cost?

That's when I dumped it. And if Lutz keeps whining about their profit margins he can shove that GMC truck of mine up his a**.

GM and Chevy really pushed their 4 wheel disk brakes on half ton trucks when they came out, making the Toyota Tundra look like some pathetic obsolete putt-putt. For 2005 they very quietly went back to rear drums, making comments about "better pedal feel" and "better parking brake performance."

So in the grand scheme of things, I'd much rather take this relatively minor issue with my Prius over the major problems I had with my much more expensive GMC truck.

Jay

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Jay- is it true that there is no way to adjust the rear wheel alignment? I know that this is not a condition that is common to all Prius; therefore, it must be correctable without redesigning the airflow characteristics or even changing the tires. My stock tires have 30,000 miles on them and I can drive 90 mph with my hands off the wheel for a considerable distance. I don't even rotate the tires. I run 42/40 in them. I have never had the car aligned. The problem must be correctable.

The dealership recommending against the Prius for highway use is just absurd. That's the silliest thing I've heard said about the Prius and I've heard a ration of misconceptions about this car. Are you pulling my leg? Does Canada observe April fools day on May first? This is just crazy talk.

3. MGBGT

MGBGT New Member

Hey gang,
    I'm another 05 Prius owner who has previously 'complained' about poor highway tracking and susceptibility to crosswinds.
    I still think it is one of the inherent problems of the Prius, and may be more or less pronounced in any of these cars, depending on alignment settings, tires and inflation, and state of use of tire, as well as loading, and also type of road surface (hence some differences with respect to location of people).
    The problem with my car has improved since I first reported it, and I have not even had time to have the alignment checked. I upped the tire pressure to 40/38, and am now at 2800 miles. II do believe that as the tires break in, the situation changes. So far I would summarize based on my own experience, that this is an inherent issue with the (05?) Prius, in part related to the areodynamic design of the car, and the suspension setup. I do think that in some cases the problem is extreme, but also do believe that with careful tuning it can be brought to within acceptable levels. The work that would help with that should be: wearing in the tires, adjusting inflation, checking alignments etc.., possibly selecting different tires, and also the front spoiler work previously suggested.
    Cheers,
    M

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ray:

According to the dealer, the rear suspension is not easily adjustable. That is, you have to replace parts. If somebody has access to the shop manual, please inform me if this is *not* the case. If they're feeding me a line of s*** I want to know about it.

I've had the rear tires off for inspection and cleaning the wheel wells and have not noticed anything that looks like adjustment collars or nuts on the suspension.

My folks briefly had a 1993 Ford Taurus (They went back to Buicks) and I recall the rear suspension could be adjusted. There was an adjusting collar, like an eccentric, for the rear suspension arms.

I didn't say my rear suspension was out of spec, it's within spec though barely. The suspension shop I went to commented on the rear suspension specs but also didn't have alignment procedures for the Prius.

The folks at that suspension shop know their work, they have a good reputation in the city and are hard to get an appointment on short notice. Not only do they have the respect of the drag race and hot rod crowd, they also have a loyal following with Ford truck owners.

If you've ever owned a Ford pickup, especially a 4WD, with that awful "Twin I Beam" front end, you'll know what I'm talking about. Even with the eccentric collars on the front end, they still end up having to make bends to properly line things up.

I don't appear to have any tire wear problems or odd wear patterns. I keep a close eye on that sort of thing and the tires look like new, but then with slightly over 16,000km on the car that should be expected.

No, I'm not kidding about some salespeople telling potential Prius highway drivers that they should reconsider. If they know their Prius will be mostly in the city, they have no problem encouraging the potential buyer. I think there are only 4 Prius second generation drivers in the city.

When the 2004 model first came out, the launch dealer here had one out for a test drive by the Floodway. The Floodway runs North to South and bisects the TransCanada. If the wind is blowing, it can create a nasty gust at the bridge.

The dealer lightly brushed the guardrail, causing minor damage. I suppose that could happen to any car or truck. There are quite a few scrapes on the concrete guards.

The Prius does take a bit of getting used to wrt highway tracking. It's not that my Prius is inherently unstable. That is, if I let go of the wheel, it's not like it immediately darts off the highway.

It's just that a minor change in windspeed or wind direction can easily upset the tracking stability. I've already changed tires (OEM to Michelin Harmony) and that didn't appear to make any difference whatsoever.

And my Prius is *way* better after two trips to the dealer for alignments. It's a night and day difference. Eventually I might get used to it, but if I immediately drive a car with inherent tracking stability, like my parents 2003 Buick LeSabre, there is again a day and night difference.

Since my Prius spends at least 95% of its life in the city, I'm not going to pursue this further except maybe to try relocating the little spoilers in front of the tires. If that makes some sort of dramatic difference, then I may consider having a spoiler made.

Since this condition appears to only affect a minority of Prius, I'm wondering if it's related to manufacturing tolerances of the unitbody itself. I've driven Prius in SLC and Vegas and they drove the same: well behaved. They did *not* "feel" like my Prius at Interstate speeds. And they had the OEM tires.

Jay

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jay:

Your comments about how your car handles on the highway mimic my personal experience as well.

So far I have had the car aligned twice. Once to exact factory specs which did next to nothing to help the highway stability and then had it aligned with some positive toe-in. This made a significant difference and did indeed help.

Although the second alignment helped, I still felt that it needed improvement so off came the OEM tires and I replaced them with 1 size larger Michelin Harmony 195 60 15. These tires offered an immediate improvement in terms of stability. The only downside to these tires is that there is an increase in road noise compared to the OEM's.

According the the post above, the improvements that were recently made in the 2005 Prii was only for the European market?? Why in the world would Toyota do that?? Are they saying that the American market does not deserve the improvements such as better stability, more rigid structure, quieter cabin due to the window glass changes?? Also, it is my understanding that they get rear disk brakes compared to our drum units?? Why were we left out?

I sure hope that Toyota makes these changes available to the American market. There seems to be a signifcant amount of Prii owners that are having these highway stability issues. IMO, it should not be up to us to take all of our time and energy to have alignments, switch to better tires, move chin spoilers...etc..etc... The car should have been delivered to us able to drive down the highway straight and true without having to figure out what to do to make this a reality.

Just my .02 worth..

Brian

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jayman: I haven't checked but the rear alignment sounds like it requires shims. My old Buick had no way of adjusting rear alignment, you had to shim it. I can get a better explanation out of my husband when he gets home from doing Prius pre-delivery inspections this afternoon (he's putting in extra hours this week, usually he won't work Sundays)

blkc5: This has been discussed elsewhere. Apparently, and this is just what I remember of said discussion, drum brakes are a joke in Europe yet are accepted here. Nobody over there would buy such a car without disc brakes on all 4 wheels.

And my personal experience with highway stability isn't too bad. I drove a 90 Buick (read: drives like a tank) so the switch to a lighter car was definitely an adjustment in windy conditions. I bought the car in mid March, maybe they've been making adjustments because I have none of the severe grievances that anyone here has voiced. I run on OEM tires because the impending car payments (deferred till Sept) have me putting every penny I can into savings now. We will be broke but the Prius is worth it.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Brian:

My dealer is unwilling to deviate from the factory specs. However, that independent alignment shop I mentioned suggested we could try going slightly positive - or even slightly negative - to see what the effects would be at highway speed.

They wanted me to immediately drive the car after each adjustment, not one of their technicians. It's not that they're afraid of the Prius, but they feel it's the owner driving the car, not one of their technicians. So the owner will know best if the suspension change is better or worse.

If that worked and there was also minimal fuel economy change, then it was a fair trade-off.

Overall I've noticed that Europeans have higher expectations for their cars wrt performance and handling. Overall we are more inclined to have the "living room on wheels" mentality. That's fine with me, assuming the Living Room On Wheels has tracking stability at highway speeds.

Faster autoroute speeds there? I had rear disk brakes on my 2000 GMC Sierra and they were a putrid piece of s***. GM actually went back to rear drum brakes for 2005 pickups.

I guess for the average driver here, mostly urban setting, the rear disks may not be necessary. They help most under very high speeds. For the driving I do the rear drums work fine and are much more tolerant of roadsalt used here.

Rear disk brakes and road salt don't get along too well. At the very least you have to pull off the caliper slide pins twice a year and make sure they're lubed and not corroded.

Jay

8. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jay, I guess you might be right about Europeans in general demanding better handling cars but it would be nice if the North American market can obtain the same "better" car for ourselves. At the least, I hope that they make available to us as an option or by the ability to purchase the parts and have them installed.

I personally prefer a better handling more stable vehicle even if it means giving up some of the "plushness" and really cushy ride.

I am curios as to which size Harmony tires you installed as you said you did not feel any difference compared to the stock tires.

Also, did anyone re-position their chin spoilers more towards the front as one of the past posts pointed to? Was there any improvements by this modification?

Jay, if you ever get around to having a custom spoiler made for your Prii, please let me know what it would cost and I would be happy to purchase one from you!! I think that reducing the amount of air travelling under the car at speed would help a great deal as well.

BTW, can you or anyone else please check something for me? When looking under the front of the car where the engine/transmission is, does your car have a cover that hides the bottom of the engine? Mine is open there but I see that there are holes in the plastic that surround it that look like an engine cover would go there. I am wondering if they left mine off at the factory or perhaps the dealer forgot to install it??? If I need to, I can post a picture of what I am referring to.

Thanks!!

Brian

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Brian:

I'm still not convinced the "soft" ride is to blame. My parents have a 2003 Buick LeSabre and that thing is downright floaty. But it tracks like it's on rails.

I replaced with the OEM P185/65 R 15 size. I do feel a difference in how it rides, not as harsh. But it didn't make any difference in highway tracking stability.

I took a peek and saw what you mean. Nope, mine is open too, no shield.

Jay

10. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For those that have been reading this thread, I had a call from my regional Toyota office to discuss the problem that my car is having. The woman I spoke to was very cordial and took down all of the information I gave her. It did seem to help that the service manager at the dealer feels the same thing I do in my car so now all I can do is wait and see what happens next. She did mention that she would speak to some of the high level engineers that are available to her to see what she can do.

The fact that Toyota has some improvements coming out in regard to the stability issue is gives me some hope but not a lot. I hope that they will be able to retrofit some kind of fix for those that are having the same issues as I am.

I will keep everyone posted to what happens next.

Thanks!!

Brian

11. chrism07924

chrism07924 New Member

The Prius reminds me of the classic airplane wing, rounded up top, straight underneath. Without a spoiler somewhere, I'm thinking there will be enough "lift" underneath the car to effect tracking. Depending on other cofactors like alignment, etc, and cross winds, perhaps the total effect could be the tracking issues some have encountered.