1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just replaced ABS Actuator 08 Prius..still some noise (new ones too)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by al_h, May 2, 2020.

1. al_h

al_h New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hi all,
    i'm new to the forum. thanks in advance for all your help!

i inherited a 2008 prius with about 50K miles on it.. generally great condition.

the ABS (! ) VSC Brake lights finally came on, after about a year or so of hearing the consistent 'dragging' clicking under the hood.. got codes 1256 and C1391.. after doing some research here, it looked like ABS actuator assembly needed to be replaced. bought a used part from Ebay and took it to a shop that had done abs actuator job on prius and have them replaced with brakes bled.. took the car home a couple of days ago.. within 24HR or so, i started to hear squeaky/squeal/winding /'dolphin" like noise when I press on the brake. i also hear a bit of knocking sound when i engage the brake pedal. .. wondering if I might have gotten a bad part from ebay. any recommendations?

as of now, the lights I gotten before are NOT on. i suppose may come in soon if I have bad abs actuator in place. all and all, it's driving fine and just the noise from engaging the brake. also, the actuator clicking noise is less now (than before I replaced the abs actuator..)

i appreciate all the suggestions you could help with.. ideally, i wont have to buy a $1200 new abs actuator and resistor from toyota....i know it's a toss up when getting used part from ebay.. i'm not sure where else i could find a used or refurbished part to save some $.

thank you again!!
    Al

2. JohnnyJ

JohnnyJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wish I could advise on the noises, I am new here as well. I have an 08 with a failing actuator and have done a lot of reading on the topic. You took the best option going with a used replacement. I looked all over the internet and could not find anyone that rebuilds these. Used or $1200 for new appear to be our options. As long as you feel safe driving and nothing feels wrong with car, I just learn to ignore noises. The owners manual outlines some of the things that make noises, even when car is shut off.
    I miss the days of simple cars and easy repairs. :)