1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just started yesterday! ICE does not like to RUN

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zardoz, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have owned our 2008 Prius since new so when it misbehaves we know it.

Starting yesterday, when accelerating from a stop light we would be on electric ONLY. The ICE would not even TRY to start. There were NO fault lights or other indications. Then the ICE would run a bit and stop and sometimes begin to act almost normal. We watched the HV battery charge go from 3/4 to one bar in a matter of minutes.

We limped it back home, the ICE was running so we let it run until the battery got up to three bars and he ICE shut off. Then we got in my 05 Prius and finished the task at hand.

Last week Toyota had to replace the electronic control valve (about $500). I wonder if they left a connecter loose somewhere... I looked around under the hood and did not see anything out of the ordinary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Miles on the car? Have gas in it?

3. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Miles on car 170,000. 3/4 tank of gas.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd get it back to the service dept without delay; your suspicions about something disconnected (by them) sound very plausible.

5. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update. This morning we set out to drive it back to Toyota. Car is running fine. Not good I am sure this problem will come back at the worst time.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hate when that happens. it's like your puppy knows you're taking him to the vet.:cool:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    my 05 drops from 1 green to 1 purple within a few mins with the ac on sitting at a red light, recharges quickly.. traction battery rebuilt, 12 volt battery good, im starting to think its an issue with the ac compressor like a dead short..ac off the car is fine all day long..

8. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First, go buy a Mini VCI cable. You own at least two Prius. The cable costs less than $25. A Mini VCI cable and Toyota's Teachstream software will bring you into a world of knowledge and enlightenment. Without the cable you are in the dark hoping a dealer will light your way by burning all the cash in your wallet.:oops:

I can not think of any Prius part called the "electronic control valve" So, what did the dealer replace and why? That is at least a hint of where to start.

Brad

9. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for my imprecise language: "REPLACE COOLANT FLOW CONTROL VALVE ASSEMBLY (CODE P1121--COOLANT FLOW
    CONTROL VALVE STUCK)". The part cost me $479.98.

Our Prius' have been so reliable that I have not been online all that much as of late...

Where do I obtain Toyota's Teachstream software and for that matter the Mini VCI cable? It sounds like the way to go!

Jim

10. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ebay or amazon sells them BUT they are counterfeit copies of the software so use an old laptop as they have viruses, it will run on xp or windows 7..got mine for under 25 bucks free shipping

11. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That valve controls the coolant flow into and out of the thermos storage bottle. The idea is that the stored hot coolant can help heat the engine up quicker. I drove my own car for about a year with that code active. It is not something that can disable the car. Replacing the valve requires the coolant system to be opened so some coolant will be lost and some air will get into the system. You should check the coolant level in the radiator overflow bottle. Air in the system "could" goof up how the engine runs.

The Mini VCI cables can be bought on Ebay or Amazon. The sellers located in the US tend to be a little higher on price, but you can get the cable much quicker from them. Techstream software can be purchased from Toyota. Most of the cables come with a hacked copy of Techstream and it can be downloaded also.

Brad

12. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dumb question... As I am about to purchase the cable... 16 pin or 22 pin connector?
    Thanks!

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Which ?

This sounds like a calibration issue; as in, the car does not know how energy is in the battery. I suggest driving some more and see if the car sorts itself out.

14. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    16 pin. You can get the cable quicker from US based sellers. They generally cost a little more.