1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just test driven the Peugeot 3008 diesel hybrid - It's impressive!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jan 26, 2012.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just had to work out what 6.2 litres/100km is in mpg, which is 43 mpg UK or 36 mpg US.

Not fabulous as such, but for a 200 bhp 4x4 people carrier about 1/3 larger than a Prius, it ain't bad.

You really should post a few pictures for our American friends to appreciate how much larger the Peugeot is compared to a Prius or similar vehicle.

How do you find the EV mode or the switching between the different modes compared to the Prius? I found the Peugeot quite aggressive in its use of electric and the regen brakes. If you're feeling brave, what about a youtube video review of you driving the car to show them just how nice it is.

If I could lease one I'd be tempted but it's still early days and depsite having owned Peugeots in the past, I'm still a little wary of their electrics.

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe 1/3 larger than Prius, but trunk room is the same as per spec. The rear axle solution maybe to blame?

3. krouebi

krouebi 2012 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I fear you're getting your inches and cms mixed up. The 3008 is considerably wider, taller and shorter than the Prius (2nd and 3rd generation), as you can see from here:

[​IMG]

Here are the inside measures:

[​IMG]

and here the trunk volume, rear seats up:

[​IMG]

- and rear seats down.

[​IMG]

And - at least when I'm seeing it - my "Spritmonitor" mileage is displayed in MPG on non-European sites, so no need to convert.

@GrumpyCabbie: I have a couple of side-by-side shots of the two vehicles - they'll be online ASAP.

4. krouebi

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

as gently suggested by GrumpyCabbie, a couple of side-by-side shots of my 2009 Prius 3rd Gen and my 2012 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4. They were done pre-delivery, so the Pug still has the dealer's (ugly :eek: ) striping and winter wheels.

Front view:

[​IMG]

Rear view:

[​IMG]

It's not rocket science to predict that the Peugeot will have poorer fuel economy than the Prius - it punches a much bigger hole in the air. That it doesn't do much worse is in fact a pleasant surprise :rockon: .

The interior is quite a lot better looking than the Prius:

[​IMG]

Bear in mind, though, that this is one of the 300 "Limited Editions", and the normal ones do not come with the leather-covered dash and upper door panels - which make a big difference in look and feel.

1 person likes this.
  5. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, nice car very powerful (200 BHP), higher of the ground, it should be obvius that fuel economy will be worse than Prius.
    It's just funny how can this car beat Prius in EU test cycle, so the question remains what was your fuel economy in Prius with same driving conditions?

6. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is the ground clearance on the 3008?

Thanks

7. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Man you guys get all the cool toys in europe.

Do you know if it is a duel clutch setup like vw's dsg, or is it a single clutch unit?

8. krouebi

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello there,

@GasperG: The calculating methods of the EC fuel economy test are very theoretical, and can almost never be reproduced in real life.

I had a fuel consumption of around 5,2 l/100 according to the trip computer (which is very optimistic) over 70.000 kms in the Prius, but this also involved some distances running on up to 100% E85.

When I get around to it, it will be entered in the "Spritmonitor" database too.

@ProximalSuns: The 3008 HYbrid4 has an official ground clearance of 150 mm - it's clearly not an off-road vehicle.

@massparanoia: No, it's a robotized manual, single-clutch, gearbox. Nothing like the VW DSG.

9. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks

Just about six inches. AWD like Audi, Subaru are mostly for Northern winter snow driving on the road. That is my usage. Winter skiing and need to be able get to work no matter time or weather. Can't wait for snowplow.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do like it. I like Peugeots, but I'm torn between my head and my heart here. My heart says it's a stylish car :cool:, but my head says it's a Peugeot! :eek:

11. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Both your head and heart are right. It's just as with an Audi: Stylish, up-scale, but try to get someone else pay the repair bills.

Chrome and stitching do wonders for interiors these days, and I dig it.
    I just can't help but think that Peugeot is gaming the Euro fuel economy standard like the car makers did the old EPA.
    Gaming the standard applies to all car makers btw. My Toyota diesel is generally not as efficient as a Prius, although the standard shows that it is a close call (0.1l/100km difference)

12. krouebi

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

one morning last week on the way to work I saw this:

[​IMG]

on the trip computer - meaning that in a little less than 4 months I've driven the 3008 HYbrid4 10,000 kms around Europe.

No issues so far - the car is very comfortable, and IMHO better suited for motorway driving than the various HSD's.

As in the Prius (but less so) the trip computer is slightly optimistic, indicating a global consumption of 6 l/100 kms when the real consumption is 6,4 l/100 (or its equivalent in MPG, which you can see below). However, consumption seems to improve with mileage - after resetting the trip computer (it "freezes" at 9,999 kms) I am currently looking at only 5,0 l/100 after a week of mixed city and motorway driving.

13. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know it's working :)

I'm trying to understand how the Hybrid4 technology is working and came up with this video:

Electric motor in the back has 28 kW of power, what is the power of starter alternator on the HDI motor? From animation it looks smaller and belt driven. Are the A/C compressor and other things that are normally belt driven electric, I think they are. Does any one know some detailed specs about Hybrid4?

14. krouebi

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello GasperG,

The starter/alternator is rated at 8 kW.

The A/C compressor is not electric, but run off the same belt drive as the starter/alternator, but contrary to what some people say this does not mean that letting the A/C on "AUTO" does not allow the combustion engine to stop - except when outside temperatures are REALLY high. Under normal circumstances it just runs for a short period, filling the A/C ducts in the dash with cold air. Fan speed is adjusted according to whether the combustion engine (and thus the A/C compressor) is running or not - there's some complicated electronics in there, but as long as the result is satisfying, it's OK with me.

15. krouebi

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

this brief update just to let you know that everything's still fine and dandy with this vehicle after now a little more than 28 K kms. It's been through its dosis of heavy winter driving, including snow-covered uncleared motorways - no problem, just engage "4x4". At the end of May it will be getting its first (30K) maintenance and at the same time a major software upgrade to bring the vehicle up to the improved performance/economy of the currently sold versions.

This winter, the vehicle showed its above-average transport capacity hauling a washer/dryer duo plus luggage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find this amazing for a vehicle that is considerably shorter than 2nd and 3rd Gen Prii.