1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Test Drove A VOLT!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by just_older99, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It depends on how long and how often those long trips are. For the people who have already gotten Volt, about a third of their miles is on gas. If they had gotten the currently available Prius, they would have burned twice much gas.

The premium fuel requirement is CYA for GM on warranties. They couldn't trust people to add fuel stabilizer, and turning on the engine too often defeats the purpose. The Volt has knock sensor, so if you did take it on a long road trip. You should be able use regular when you do.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, but Volt has 12x more battery capacity than Prius (16 kWh vs. 1.3 kWh). 12 Prii can save 6x more gas than a single Volt.

The other fundamental difference is, Volt require external energy (electricity) to save gasoline.

3. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Saw one up close today at a county fair. Looked nice outside and interior but out the door cost over 45grand no thanks. I'll take a 2012 prius plug in any day for thousands less and can criss cross the country any time i choose.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nicely said, BTW. I have gotten much the same from many Prius drivers in regard to BEVs in general. They're unproven. Too expensive. Little cars. Can't go fast enough. Battery won't last. Battery will be expensive to replace every two or three years.

And here I am after nine years of driving on sunshine in my little SUV with the original batteries wondering when all these terrible things are going to happen.

2 people like this.
  5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    People don't say that to me any more. ;)

Attached Files:

6. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The price of the PHV came out today .. OOPS :eek:

7. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going to quote the same passage. $45k for the volt is pretty loaded, but with the bigger tax credit comes out almost identical to the PHV advanced ($37.500 more or less).

8. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    the difference should be clear...it's still a GM product versus a Toyota.

I'm just saying...no WAY GM trumps Toyota reliabilty with one 'souped-up' hybrid.

9. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand and never said anything trumped anything. For many months I've heard about how the PHV will be so much drastically less expensive than a Volt, but its just not.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's not the way it was stated. The hope... for both plug-ins... has always been to make that "nicely under $30,000" goal we heard countless times over the years.

Volt's MSRP of $39,995 isn't even remotely close to that.

PHV comes way closer at $32,000 and is indeed drastically less expensive.

1 person likes this.
  11. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What was stated to me many times was that the prius would be $10,000 cheaper, and its only three.

12. Joe E. Sheldon

Joe E. Sheldon New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $39,995 - $32,000 = $3,000 ??????

13. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $39,995 - $7500 = $32,495
    $32,000 - $2500 = $29,500

$32,495 - $29,500 = $2,995

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The two are not comparably equipped. Prius PHV is a midsize and comes with a standard charger faster than Volt with $1,500 fast charger.

It is more appropriate to compare with a fully loaded Volt instead. The difference would be $8,000.

15. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The volts i have seen are over $ 41,000 msrp. I have no idea if they are fully loaded . At that price how does the volts equipment compare to the base and advanced phv ? Also insurance costs and residuals would factor in if i was compairing the two.

16. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The volts i have seen are over $ 41,000 msrp. I have no idea if they are fully loaded . At that price how does the volts equipment compare to the base and advanced phv ? Also insurance costs and residuals would factor in if i was compairing the two.

17. mfennell

mfennell New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You say a lot of things that are opinion, but this constant refrain is simply intellectually dishonest and you know it.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius PHV charges to full in 3 hours using a standard included charger. Volt charges to full in 4 hours with the 240v fast charger.

What's dishonest about that?

19. stephent

stephent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's dishonest about that is the number of EV miles you get is vastly different. One could plug a Volt in with the 120v charger for 3 hours and also get the same 13-15ish EV miles out of the charge. It's not an inherent advantage to have less EV range! You come home and park the car for 10+ hours while you sleep, how how does the Prius being done after 3 hours help you in any case? You have a lower electric bill, sure, but EV driving is way cheaper and more efficient than gas, so this isn't a good tradeoff!

The smaller battery gets you lower cost, and preserves more of your cargo space, for those who care about those things, but the faster charging from empty to full is not an advantage, because you aren't getting more miles per hour of charging.

20. mfennell

mfennell New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fixed.

The 6th graders defense. It is intellectually dishonest because it specifically omits contextually relevant pieces of information (range, rate of charge) to declare one better than the other.

But you know that.

At this time, there is no evidence (save the info directly from the Prius team that the PHV has a lower MPGe rating than the Volt/Leaf but frustratingly few details) that either car charges faster than the other in the actual important sense: EV miles over time. Since they use the same amount of current, give-or-take, there's no reason to think they'll be notably different.