1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just took delivery on my new Prius! YES!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by santoro1, Jul 26, 2006.

1. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

Well, I called my dealership yesterday and asked what is the status of the car? He said the car is in port, it has the mud guards installed but the rear bumper protector is holding it up some some reason. I'll get back to you later today. About an hour later he calls me and tells me the bumper protectors are on back order AT THE PORT...It should be released later this week or maybe next week. No way to tell. Now, let's get real here...I put the deposit on this vehicle, Magnetic gray, package 4 ten days ago. So, it's not like I have been waiting months like some on this forum. I resigned myself to this weekend at the earliest...Fifteen minutes later he calls back and says another Magnetic gray, 4 came onto the lot. There is a buyer flying in from another state that is coming in next week (to drive it home). He had no problem swapping his car for yours, IF you don't mind taking a vehicle with no mud guards or rear bumper protector. I asked, WHEN CAN I PICK IT UP? He said, how about tonight??? I said, LET'S DO IT! When I got to the lot he told me that he would sell me the bumper protector and mud guards at his cost since i was inconvenienced....SOOOOOO, last night I drove home a gorgeous magnetic gray, #4... What a sweet car..Had about 20 miles of stop and go traffic... MFD tells me I averaged 41mpg on the way home...I tried using some of the techniques many on this forum recommended....for example I could see that when accelerating from a dead stop to not baby it off the line (I don't insinuate that one should punch it as if you were driving a Corvette). However, I noticed that once I got it to the speed I desired and then feathered the accelerator the MPG really jumped whereas if I kept my foot steady on the accelerator without letting up for a fraction of a second the mpg's stayed lower. I don't fully understand the meaning of all the colors and arrows on the MFD yet, but with all of your help I will I am sure.. Thanks again for all your support and the stories. I am also sure I will be on the modification thread quite frequently now that my fun shall begin....Here is a first simple question...Regarding smart key function...I know there have been some concerns with people regarding draining of battery when not using the car for a week or so...First, is the smart function so good that simply using the wireless lock, unlock, and put the key fob into the slot routine should not be used.. ie...does it make things that much simpler.. And second...when using the smart function, as I leave the car does the smart function automatically lock everything, or do you still have to press the lock button on the key fob.. Obviously, by this question I have not had time to fully read the manual.. thanks again.

2. marjam

marjam Member

Welcome to Prius land. The car sounds terrific! And you really lucked out. I know you will be very happy.

All the various screens on the MFD are well explained in the Owner's Manual but come back here with questions.

Some feel that if you are not going to drive for a week or more you should turn off the smart key function with the little button under the steering column near the dash.

The car never locks itself but when you want to lock it without the keyfob push the little black button on the driver's door handle or on the hatchback to lock the car. Keyfob never has to come out of your pocket.

Have fun!

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations, and welcome, friend!

Yes, the smart key does make life that much easier. Aside from confounding the Priustoric drivers when you just walk up to your car, get in and drive away without reaching for a key, it's useful when you're carrying loads (e.g. groceries) or running away from would-be killers.

As for leaving turning it off when you leave the car sitting for an extended period, it's really easy to do, so go ahead and turn it off while you're away.

The key does not automatically lock the car. You should really familiarize yourwself with what car beeps mean too, because it's easy to do things like leave the key in the car, leave the power on or whatever and then get out. Leaving the car on and walking away could be bad for more than one reason.

So, you just push the smart lock button on the handle, or the lock button on the fob when ou leave the car. Pretty easy.

4. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not automatically locking is a feature that I wish Toyota included as a programmable option (similar to the ability to unlock just the drivers door or all the doors at once when I touch the door handle). I had it enabled on my old alarm system on the F150 to lock after 30 seconds. Many times when I go into a store or whatever I worry whether or not I remembered to lock the car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 26 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]292494[/snapback]</div>

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

There's one bit I didn't quite understand. The dealer switched two identical cars except one had mudguards and the other didn't? What's wrong with taking the original one and having the bumper protector installed later?

6. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 26 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]292589[/snapback]</div>
    That would have been no problem except for the fact that the original car that had the mud guards installed was still at the port. The dealer had no idea when the backordered bumper protector would come in AND if he tried to change the order and delete the bumper protector that would actually cause even MORE of a delay. (ie. the car would have to stay at the port UNTIL the last accessory was installed). The car that did not have either accessory was at the dealership ready to be picked up. So, I opted for the car last night rather than wait who knows how long.

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You got the best color available!

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Jul 26 2006, 04:32 AM) [snapback]292493[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 26 2006, 04:41 AM) [snapback]292494[/snapback]</div>
    A question arises here. My salesman, at Freeman Toyota in Santa Rosa, CA, said, if you're going to leave it for a couple of weeks, hit the little black button. Ok, got that.

Fast forward to about three weeks ago. The dealership hosted a dinner and info session for all new Toyota owners. After dinner and intros to all the major dept head-types, we split up into "Prians" and "Others." The "others" were taken on a tour of the whole dealership, including service areas, collision center (where they fix 'em, not cause 'em ! B) ), etcetera, etcetera etcetera.

We ten Prians were sent into an INCREDIBLY CLEAN service area where there was a shiny new Prius, all opened up, with circles and arrows and....well, you get the picture.

Our leader was a Swiss tech and SUPER PRIUS GURU, who has been working on them since 2001 (and, it seems in his SPARE time, he goes around to fire and rescue departments to educate their 1st responders in best/safest techniques for retrieving injured people from smushed hybrids..NOT, he hastened to assure us, that there is A LOT of danger w/ stray voltage--just watch out for the orange wires and components, but so that responders ARE NOT SCARED OF ELECTROCUTING THEMSELVES!). Anyway, in response to the shut down the SKS for extended absences...he advocated actually disconnecting the whole frickin' battery. This seems to be an overreaction, to me, but...he does know a helluva lot more about these things than I do--and how could it benefit his service dept. for me to DEFINITELY put less drain on my batter(y/ies)? I mean, I really hate to think about it--reprogramming my radio stations is one of my LESS favorite things. So, do you all think he was just being very precise and Swiss/German, or is there merit in this notion for us average joes and josephines?

Oh, and among the "goodies" Rene handed out to us good little Prian doobies were a very current CD/DVD about the NAV/Bluetooth system (I believe it also includes info about the HyCam)...neither /none of which I have...So, 1st two of youse who email me...EMAIL ME...with your mailing address gets these magnificent pieces of plastic for yer very own.

The other thing was a "sliderule" that shows what the arrows and stuff on the MFD mean...except they illustrated the MFD of the '04s. Those, I'm keeping, because they have some other interesting info. He also handed out multi-page, um, handouts that he had written (and were copyrighted 2004) with all the voice commands...I particularly love that POIs include "Toyota Dealership," and "Lexus Dealership." B)