1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just when I thought I was out.....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, May 17, 2020.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...they pull me back in!

Wow.
    Recently, I cancelled Netflix. Not that I didn't like it, but I just found that during this crisis, I wasn't watching it much. Kind of had maxed out all the things I wanted to watch.

Anyway, since cancelling Netflix, I get daily E-mails telling me what new show or program they have just added and telling me how great life would be if I just come back. Just come back, come back, COME BACK!
    I know they don't want to lose customers, but I feel like I just left the Mafia.
    Evidently you can cancel the service, but once you're part of the Netflix family, you never leave.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had a hell of a time cancelling.

I'd contact Netflix, they'd redirect me to Apple, since we started subscription with an Apple TV device.

I'd contact Apple, they'd redirect me to Netflix.

In physics I think they call this a "couple"? It was cruel and unusual, and endless.

My motivation for cancelling: for years we'd paid something like $8.95 CDN per month. a relative had the log-in, which is kosher, but apparently at some point we must have been watching simultaneously, and somebody got a pop-up saying if you want to continue you need to upgrade, something to that effect.

And bam, our bill is something like $15.95. I'm ok with that, cus I'm cancelling. But can I do that... Anyway, after about 5 or 6 revolutions through the aforementioned "couple", I got it done.

We'd just got into Prime around the same time, and a family member gifted us a new-and-improved Apple TV. It interacted with Netfilix differently, commenced playing a preview (with loud soundtrack and dialogue) whenever you sat more than a few seconds on any Netflix show. Drove me nuts.

Then a month or two later same family member shifted internet provider, and one of the perks was free top-tier (multi-user) Netflix, so we're back in the fold. And they allow you to turn off the damn auto-preview now.

We still barely watch either now, mostly YouTube.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Our T-Mobile plan, I believe Magenta, comes with Netflix. Maybe an option if you still watch it sometimes...

moto g(7) power ?

4. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hated the auto preview. And I never figured out how to turn it off.
    While browsing for movies/series, you'd automatically get a full length preview, which would often spoil the movie. By the time I decided I might want to watch the movie, the preview had made watching the movie, nearly unnecessary.

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Speaking of ads and unwanted interference, I look forward to when Priuschat becomes a premium service. These ads at the top and bottom are driving me crazy. If I go to homedepot and buy something, I will see an ad in here with products related to my purchase. Recently, I visited a car club website that had all these other "sponsors" attached to their site. Some of the ads included modeling females to catch the average eye and attract you to their site. Their site could be new tire sales, vinyl wraps, new tools, new stereo equipment, etc). Well, what a coincidence that if I visit those sites, then a new set of "adult" type of ads show up. "New underwear that doesn't pinch", new sport shoes with of course "babes" modeling them, etc, etc.

Its like I can't filter what hits me. Maybe I like the sport shoes, but I don't need the models. Maybe I was looking for a new set of wrenches, but I don't need the model photo with it. I know, I sound like a prude, but the point is, I can't control it. As an example, right now, at the bottom of my page is an ad for the "most trusted name in car care", but the photo is a body shot of a women wearing a bikini and washing her car. I will not say what else the photo shows.

Maybe I want to know what the "most trusted name in car care is", but if I go to that sight, more of "those" type of ads will follow. Anyway, I know I am off topic, but I had to say something. I apologize.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can now, for sure. You need to log-in to netflix on a computer browser. Not sure if this is what I followed, but this guy's usually spot-on:

How to Disable Netflix’s Auto-Playing Previews

You can also disable auto-play of next episode in series.

Note, if you have an older apple tv, the interface is SO much friendlier, intuitive. The new interface is a VERY thinly veiled ploy, to stop you browsing, get you watching. :rolleyes:

The Electric Me likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, right now I don't have Netflix.
    I had nothing against Netflix as a whole. But I just found pretty early into this crisis, that I wasn't watching Netflix very much. Maybe because before the crisis I watched it more? But I had 3 paid streaming services, Hulu, Prime and Netflix, and I was barely watching Netflix.
    Streaming is my "new" cable, so I try to keep my bill around under $30.
    But it was actually a friend of mine that suggested I just drop Netflix. His approach to streaming services, is to shuffle them around every few months or so. He seemed kind of shocked that I didn't use this approach.
    I probably will go back to Netflix someday. But give it some time to build up some more new material/movies that I might want to watch.
    In the meantime, I'm SURE they will keep reminding me of all that I'm missing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.