1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Justice...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 1, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    blind patriotism is what the current administration relies on and is what made the mess we're in possible.

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    For 45 years I've thought Canada to have the best combination of domestic policies and foreign policy in the Western Hemisphere. And, taken as a whole, Canadians are well-educated, open-minded, civil, good-natured, generous, hard-working, introspective (to a fault at times) and possessed of good humor.

Canadian public education is, overall, superior to its American counterpart.

Canadian health care, despite its delays, is FAR superior to what 48 million Americans get.

Canadians struggle to "do the right thing", with the Native peoples within its borders, with its French-speaking population, with same-sex people who desire celebration and commitment of their love through marriage and with issues of peace and war.

Partly (mostly?) because of cultural, economic and political pressures emanating from its 500-lb. gorilla neighbor to the south, Canada conducts a neverending discourse on its "national identity", something the U.S. could take a lesson from.

The U.S. would do well to see ourselves through British eyes and through Canadian eyes. Despite what the present administration has done, they are our best friends.
    And I think we have at least as much to learn from them as they do from us.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm stepping in on this one. I actually read the bulk of this diatribe. Someone somewhere - on one or both sides of the border - owes me a good deal of my life back.

I normally allow interactions and arguments run their course because on some higher level I expect everyone to experience a grand revelation. In this case, however, I am losing hope.

To wrap it up: KNOCK IT OFF!

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

5. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How did we get onto NATO? You won't want to hear this Jayman, but what was the value of NATO WITHOUT the US? If the US would not have been involved would the Soviets have not kept pushing westward because of the French and the Spanish? Do the other members have value, absolutely, but you seem to be living under the illusion that everything is equal in this world or should be.

Jayman, you go on and on about Canadian beef and lumber and how Canada is continually being wronged, but don't seem to care at all about the US trade imbalance with China and Japan. LAst time I checked Canada was in a positive position in its trade relations with the US overall.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't disagree DOC, I just spend time with folks that always think the US is guilty in every situation almost regardless of the issue. I have sensed some of those same tones in the previous pages.
    On Iraq, it was mostly about its strategic location to oil. I for one never doubted that. I think Bush should have waited, because to me it looks like Iran is a bigger threat in the region.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

what situations are you talking about and who thinks US guilty in every situation regardless of the issue? It's the same as you stated that you sense that some people just drive Toyota because it's Toyota and nothing else without knowing the actual reason why they drive it.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The main issues are healthcare, taxes and government spending, the UN, the war in Iraq, the fact Bush managed to "steal" two elections, and resource consumption.
    There would only be happiness if a VERY liberal democrat was elected to every office, healthcare was 'free', taxes were increased on the 'rich', the UN governed the world, the US pulled out of Iraq tomorrrow, there were NO caps on government spending, and NO more resources were used.

9. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Aside from who gets elected give me all the reasons for each item you listed to prove these things are bad and tell me who they are bad for.

10. Mystery Squid

Yeah, no kidding...

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would not say bad in every case just not practical or realistic.
    Healthcare: The healthcare system is a mess as far as how it is being paid for. It is really a challenge to provide adequate healthcare for our employees. I will never be convinced that 'federalizing' the system will make it any more efficient or cost-effective. The average joe will pay more and get less. We will just move into a two-tiered health-care system, the have's and the have-nots.
    Taxing the rich: First of all, how do you determine who is rich? The rich will always have enough lawyers, accountants and ears of key politicians to find the loopholes anyway.
    The UN governing the world: The UN is a joke. IT is a gutless organization whose sole mission seems to be to get countries to feel good about themselves. I am SURE the UN would love to govern the world, is there a more corrupt organization?
    The US pulled out of Iraq: For a myriad of reasons the US needs to stays the course in Iraq. The reasons for entry can be debated all day long, but the fact is the US military is engaged and we need to see it through. The world cannot afford to see the US pullout and create a power vacuum that who knows what would fill.
    No caps on government spending: How much is enough? I invite you to go down to your county government office and see what percentage the county government has expanded and then think about how this has added to your quality of life. My guess is that you will be amazed at the rate of growth, then multiply that nationwide, and add the growth in state and national government. My county: population as roughly doubled since 1960. County payroll grew from 84 in 1960 to 1265 .
    NO resources were used: A great goal just not realistic. Hopefully there will be a transition towards renewable resource use and a much greater emphasis on recycling.

12. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

My problem with "caps on government spending" is as follows...

The wording that is used... "caps on government spending" makes it sound quite positive, and a good thing to do, but I really would appreciate it if our politicians who throw around this language level with us.

They're not going to cut spending on areas like defense clearly... what "caps on government spending" really means is that social programs will be severely starved of what little funds they have presently... stuff like education, medicare, etc etc...

I'm all for caps on government spending, but so far, I've been given no assurance that social programs in the areas of education and health care won't be hit hard by so called caps in a time when our public schools aren't where they should be.

I'm all for cutting out as much pork as possible, but lets make sure that fiscial responsibility is the goal, and not some agenda.

As for taxes... well I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a "self-made man" and that if someone is wealthy, it's a combination of their own skill, plus the American infrastructure that allowed them to be prosperous. paying taxes is simply dues for using that infrastructure, and for the freedom to do business and be prosperous in America.

Taxes are a necessary evil. They allow the government to pay for things that the private sector can't, or is ineffective at paying for... look at our highway system for example.

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Taxes are a necessary evil, but how much is enough?

How much should a person pay that makes $50000?
    $100,000?
    $250,000?
    $1,000,000
    $10,000,000
    I'm asking in total taxes(income, sales, personal property etc) excluding property taxes. I say anything over 20% is too much!

14. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Caps on government spending????? Clinton budgets vs. Junior's budgets. Who's the spender?????Hmmmmm?

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm glad you brought that up. I also feel that Canadian taxpayers should immediately stop subsidizing lower prices on pharmaceuticals that end up going back into the United States. Especially medications for Senior Citizens who cannot afford them in the United States.

If you can't look after your Senior Citizens, why should we have to? By some estimates, hundreds of millions of Canadian taxpayer dollars that could be used to purchase CT and MRI machines, are being used to satisfy medications for American citizens.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jamesmd/index.html

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I thought Clinton did a pretty good job as president. I don't think he did any favors to the country morally and he was far too wishy washy in the middle east. It will be interesting to see how history will judge him. Comparing Clinton and Junior, I think the they would be a perfect complement to each other, each seems to have a strength where the othe rhas a weakness.

17. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Jayman, I think you have a bigger chip on your shoulder about the US, than I have about China and Japan.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Guilty as charged.

There are many issues (Natives who were abused when removed from their families and placed in Draconian schools to "civilize" them, immigration, crime, how to get along with our neighbors, education, trade, natural resources, etc etc) that are burning at the heart of Canadians.

We just learn to deal with them and plod along. No sense in getting too uptight or having battles on the street, that doesn't solve anything. Neither do drive-by shootings or random acts of violence.

Many Canadians recognize the faults and foibles in their elected officials, institutions, and even way of life. For the most part, we make fun of it, brush it off, and go on with life.

This has been an interesting debate of how a minority of Americans perceive Canadians in general. Although insightful, it is also disturbing, and perhaps “proof†to most Canadians – indeed the rest of the world that also happens to read PriusChat - that America has lost her way.

Sad.

But this is my last post. At least until the first part of January: three plant start-ups, a major upgrade, and a major process revision all scattered across 4 different countries. If not for the Frequent Flyer program I swear I would NOT do this.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We'll be ok. Canadians and Americans. Happy Holidays Jayman.

20. Mystery Squid

Edited: in order to not contribute to ill feelings...

:p