1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Justice...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Dec 1, 2005.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I didn't ask if these things were practical I asked why they were bad

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

She probably means a country that has a "high" standard of life for the poor, and/or welcomes same sex marriages, that sort of thing. Of course, if a member of their police force rapes you in the arse with a baton, of if a bank decides to forclose on your home for no real good reason, other than they can, you can go pound sand because you're not rich enough to afford a real lawyer, or you don't have enough money to make the right people "happy".

This is the sort of thing all these people who whine about how crappy America is take for granted.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

roughly the same thing in terms of what?

4. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

did you just come out of the basement?

5. Mystery Squid

did YOU? :lol:

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No controls on government spending equal higher taxes=very bad. :(
    Leaving Iraq too soon equals creation of a potentially destabilizing govt=very bad. :(
    Government healthcare equals high cost, low service=bad for all of us(except uninsured) :(
    UN world governance=very bad for Americans :(
    No resource use= good goal just not practical today. :)

Is this what you were after Maggieddd?

7. tag

tag Senior Member

Am I mistaken or did I read a moderator warning somewhere in this thread? :eek:

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on folks, let's try to elevate this discussion somewhere above the level of the current "uh huh". "Uh uh". "Uh huh", "Uh uh". That it currently seems to be taking.

This is directed not just at MS, but Maggie, Malorn and Jack 06 as well...none of you have said anything productive in the past 10 posts.

9. Mystery Squid

Since when has "productive" been a qualifier for FHOP?

Nor is there any statement explicitly forbidding "bash sessions" for that matter, conversely, the implication is made it is fully acceptable...

So far, it IS primarily an actual discussion.

So please help me understand the stated guidelines... :)

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

sorry, I'll stop now

11. Mystery Squid

I'll be a good sport and join maggie... :)

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the comments begin to serve no purpose but to instigate anomosity that's where we'll draw the line. The asinine back and forth is doing only that.

Yes, the guidelines are loose here and no invisible line has yet been crossed...if it had the thread would be locked. But you're getting darn close to it when the "discussion" degenerates to this point.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, in case you were wondering:
    1)Yes, it's subjective
    2)No, it won't necessarily be fair
    3)No, this forum is not a democracy
    4)That's just the way it is. I think we do a darn good job of allowing a lot of open discussion, but somewhere along the way we have to keep the forum a place that will keep the 10k+ members happy. If that means knocking a few heads once in a while to keep it that way that's what we do.

Do I sound mean? :mellow:

14. Mystery Squid

No.

Then you should really revise the stated guidelines.

IMHO of course... B)

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

The last thing we need is more rules....I am very pleased with the way the Doc has handled his duties up to now so much as I understand them. (sort of a paraphrase of a quote by President Lincoln about Gen. Grant when people accused Grant of being a butcher)

Thanks Doc for the WIDE latitude you tend to give.....

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Growing up near a Canadian university during the Vietnam war, I was exposed to a great deal of anti-American sentiment. It's taken me a long time to grow out of that, but I'm trying. I have both friends and relatives in the States, and we sometimes discuss a few sensitive nationalistic issues. We've agreed not to hold each other responsible for the actions of our respective governments: they're both fully deserving of criticism. I've been surprised with opinions on both sides of the border: Canadians who think some American ways are superior, and Americans who are appreciative of things Canadian. So it doesn't have to be an 'us against them' kind of thing at all. If we can respect an individual's rights, we should be able to respect a nation's rights. Friends can argue without losing respect for each other; let's hope our countries can too.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome,and that's my/our thinking on it. How in the hell would you draw up a rule telling people exactly what can and can't be said....impossible without being either too restrictive or leaving too many loop holes.

I think people know when they're being intentionally nasty or baiting or are attacking. And we can recognize that and will call folks on it if things seem to be getting out of control.

Unless Danny decides we should do otherwise that's the way it'll remain.

Besides, it's kinda fun just making up the rules as you go along! :eek:

18. Mystery Squid

:lol: Hey, I'm just going by the rules, and they say bashing/flaming IS allowed. Then, when someone does so, you all whine.

It's real simple doc, you don't need med school for it, you don't want people bashing/flaming, put it in writing for all to see. It's really simple too, something like: "please no bashing, flaming, or personal attacks, respect your fellow members"

;)

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for making it so simple for me MS...I've done my best to clarify things for you. I don't particularly like the wording of the guidelines, but I think the line comes when bashing and flaming become personal attacks or are attempts to provoke such.

The wording remains unchanged.

20. Mystery Squid

anything you say...

doc...

;)