1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Justify a hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 26, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • never sleeping, blinking, stressed (nut behind the wheel failure)
    • reduce accident risks
    • 'softer', fuel efficient driving - ordinary cruise control is a little too aggressive
    • safe following, not tailgating, trucks and traffic
    The absence of TSS-P in the 2016 Level 2 ECO led me to a different ride. I paid the same price as an offered, heavy moonroof, Level 3 with TSS-P to buy a used, 2014 car with their TSS-P equivalent.

I use an optically based, TSS-P equivalent on every drive. It handles speed, distance, and automatic braking so I can look around to monitor neighboring traffic and drive strategic. It does have two well defined, false positives such as driving into a shadow while facing a low sun and cresting an overpass at night.

Based on four months of city and highway driving, a Prius Prime with TSS-P or a Level 2 ECO with TSS-P, would meet our requirements:
    • City miles - 72 miles electric and never forced to run REx
    • Highway miles - 39-40 MPG @65 mph on 463 miles (5 fuel stops) 700 mile (10 fuel stops)
    Understand that TSS-P or an equivalent is a hard requirement. It is good Toyota finally woke up and realized it.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My point exactly, with one exception. Google maps can't hold a candle to WAZE. But either is infinitly more useful than the Prius Navigation system. I use an iKoss cupholder mount that will hold either the iPhone 5s or the iPad Mini (which I tether to the phone).

RCO and Pijoto like this.
  3. Pijoto

Pijoto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Being forced to spend up to $4K extra for what is essentially just software and a bunch of sensors, is a hard pill to swallow...so, kudos on Toyota for making this standard on the base model for 2017. I plan on keeping my current Prius for at least a decade, so most likely going to feel like I'm missing out on all the safety features you listed as the years and miles pile on, but I've managed to make it this far in life without them, so *shrug*.

bwilson4web and RCO like this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Well that's the difference between dealerships. Some will rape you for every penny they can - while others will do deep discounts so you'll be customer loyal - even though it may be only every 5 years or more before they see you again. Rather than charge you $1,000's - it would be comical if dealerships would include $150 tablet & holder & 2 years of Lte to run Google Maps. At least you would know all the new Street renderings our current.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.