1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

K&N Air Filters

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mattleb, May 30, 2006.

1. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So do most K&N filter owners clean out their filters every 50k miles, like the box says?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some do I'm sure.
    They sell the cleaning kits in all of the usual places for $10-15 - or about the price of a proper filter.
    Be very VERY careful about oiling the gauze after you clean it.

I usually change out my air filters long before the 50,000 mile mark, but maybe that's because my paper filters stop more dirt from being ingested by the engine....:D

YMMV

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you treat the little oil bottle as a 50-year supply for your whole state, you'll be fine. A single drop of oil plus an hour for it to soak through the sponge is better than 2+ drops.

That's the classic mistake with these, guys want to get it done before the commercial break is over and they wind up over-oiling and fouling the MAF.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There’s 2 types of K&N filters one is the CAI cold air intake that replaces the air cleaner box which to my knowledge is not available for a Prius as it would need a maf port integrated into the intake tube. In makes those but have not seen any for a G2.
    Had one of those on alot of my cars over the years v8s mainly.

The other is just a drop in filter like a regular old filter you take the cover off the air cleaner box drop it in replace the cover.
    Neither is going to give you much of any horsepower gains the CAI makes the engine a little louder that’s about it.It could give you some increase in power if you could tune the car using software but that’s not a available either as the Prius is a poor performance platform to start with.
    Not much market there for that.

But there is one device that will make the car a little quicker and more fun to drive that’s a Red Bullet Solenoid valve. I have one they work pretty good.
    The Prius is VVT engine like many engines today uses oil pressure to increase engine intake timing advance. It’s done by a device on the end of the intake that will turn the intake cam the higher the oil pressure.
    The red bullet works by increasing the oil flow to the cam vane thereby increasing timing advance quicker than stock. The factory advance is quite benign as they want to achieve higher mileage and quicker timing advance is quite tricky on certain engines as that tends to cause pinging. Apparently the atkisson engine does not suffer from pinging so much as i hear no pinging
    No matter how hard I punch it.

The increase in timing really helps on this car especially when you need to pass a car
    You have much quicker rev up. Advancing the timing over stock really helps in that pass power band.
    Really easy to install one bolt bolts right in. $125.

It does not help your mileage as you will be driving the car a little harder.

It’s a lot more fun to drive. And It helps to have a really good hybrid battery mine is A new NPB system.

If you have a g2 with the original hybrid battery don’t bother.

5. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    edthefox5 likes this.