1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

K&N type oil-less engine air filter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by quantumy, Aug 20, 2018.

1. quantumy

quantumy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seen a bit of the discussions on engine air filters including paper vs K&N. I see that paper is better in terms of complete filtration, but K&N is reusable and allows more intake at the expense of letting fine particulates into the engine.

My question is, now there is an oil-less copy of the K&N filter (metal grid and cotton gauze) that claims to not void the warranty and also increase air intake. Should I still be concerned about fine particulates getting in the engine? Reusable would be nice, but I drive less than 8k mi/yr although SoCal can be kind of dusty.

Anyone with long term updates on using K&N or similar type filters? In a Prius? Thoughts in general? Thanks. :)

Link to product:

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At 8k a year, you are only replacing the paper filter every 4 years., How much could you save?

3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had one of those K&N air filter's many years ago, but I got tired of washing it and oiling it. So this is the new dry version? For me, it's easier just to throw in a new OEM Toyota filter. And I know it fits.

I am in the dirty dust bowl of Southern California. I'm very picky, and I change that air filter AND the cabin filter every 12 months. And believe me it gets pretty dirty. They are so cheap online now days, I can buy both for under 25 bucks. It's well worth it to me.

Raytheeagle and quantumy like this.
  4. quantumy

quantumy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you have any issues with the engine using the K&N? I'm concerned that somehow an oil-less version doesn't work the same as K&N and may cause more issues with particulates.

And Jimbo is right, this isn't about saving money for my mileage haha.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    AND....there is no particular advantage to getting "more air" into the engine.
    It gets all that it needs or can use with the stock filter.
    One with less restriction might actually make it run lean and your overall performance would be worse.

quantumy and Starship16 like this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It was over 20 years ago, used it on a Honda Accord engine for 3 years. I just think it was more trouble than it was worth. And a mess to clean.

7. quantumy

quantumy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like I'm going to stick with the OEM paper filter then. They're $19 on Amazon, so not terribly expensive. Thanks, everyone!

Raytheeagle, bisco and Starship16 like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at 60,000 miles, i'm still on the original filter.

scona and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Exactly. I've yet to change either of ours; the engine filter in particular looks near-new, at 76K kms. Maybe this forest fire smoke is gonna hasten it's demise though.

scona likes this.
  10. quantumy

quantumy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha that's awesome. Mine is 4 years old now with 30k mi. It's very yellow, probably from aging. Not a lot of clogging or black dust as far as I can tell.

11. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

bisco likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    With all due respect, I just don't understand it. People pay 25,000 to 33,000 for a Prius, and then they won't go spend 25 bucks for a couple of new filters?

At the very least, and I mean the very least, I would put in new filters every two years. Whether it looks dirty or not, there is stuff in there you probably can't see. New filters are very cheap insurance for that nice Prius.

I just buy one less pizza, and that pays for both of my filters. :ROFLMAO:

StarCaller likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to be fair, i only have 20k in hybrid mode.

electric motors don't need air filters.(y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. quantumy

quantumy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm assuming it's 4 years old based on the maintenance schedule from manual. I just got it a few months ago.

15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the K&N cabin air filter because of the solar option, but will never go with K&N engine filter. It's much more porous letting more air through, the refresh oil is supposed to absorb and collect larger particles. The risk you run by not spraying enough oil to refresh the filter will cause larger particles to flow through the filter, and the oil will eventually get to your mass air flow if you spray too much so that's a risk/gamble to save $. And then if the oil dries wayyy before your 12,000mi interval, SOL Plus tprius ain't no performance vehicle so air, fuel, ignition adjustment by the CPU won't even affect power and MPG performance unless something is terribly wrong on the ratio like lack of maintenance.

Raytheeagle and quantumy like this.
  16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota's maintenance schedule is based off Miles or Months, and in many cases, this makes sense. Your oil degrades even if you don't drive, as does your antifreeze. Your air filter however is really mileage based, even though Toyota specifies Months, as they do for everything.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-14Prius/pdf/2014_Toyota_Prius_WMG_lr.pdf

So while Toyota specifies 36,000 miles on page 42, (at 8000 a year, that 4.5 years) they also specify 36 months. I claim that months are not vital for an air filter, miles are.

So if a reusable air filter is only twice as much as a quality paper air filter, you still need to use it for 6 to 9 years to break even.

www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Replacement-2011-2016-2015-2016-2010-2015/dp/B01GGLVN8Y Paper 237 reviews
    www.amazon.com/Toyota-Reusable-Washable-Replacement-Filter/dp/B06XH58DL6 Reusable 6 reviews

quantumy likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got no excuse... :whistle:

Yeah I don't want to trot out another picture of our engine air filter, it's getting camera shy. But take my word for it: it would bring tears in your eyes to bin it; it's near-pristine. West coast of North America environment helps I think, no prairie dust-bowl, dust-laden air.

bisco and Lightning Racer like this.
  18. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    All I know, is that my engine bay seems to suck in a lot of dust & dirt. Must be all that driving in PWR mode. ;) So I assume that some of that dirt is also making its way into the filters... and sure enough, after about 12-15 months they don't look so good.

IMG_0309.JPG

#18 Starship16, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  19. quantumy

quantumy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just to show you how the engine air filter looks. Never changed one myself before, but I was expecting it to look gnarlier.

IMG_20180820_192655.jpg

In contrast, the cabin air filter was disgusting. Pretty sure this is the first time it's been changed.
    IMG_20180820_192808.jpg

I'm still going to change the engine air filter, I'm just commenting on how surprisingly cleaner it looks than the cabin filter.

20. quantumy

quantumy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that mileage is probably more indicative of wear on the air filters than age. But at some point, I would expect paper to wear down from the heat and moisture. Four to six years would be my guess for changing out old engine air filters. Re: Starship's comment on minimum 2 years changing, I've read that a lightly used filter is better than a brand new one, as the first layers of dirt act as an extra filter. But, who knows if we can even see the difference in performance. The paper still does its job as long as it's not clogged, I suppose.

Probably thinking way too much about a $20 part that's changed every so often.

Mendel Leisk and Starship16 like this.