1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

k&n washable engine filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Zaza 13, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Zaza 13

Zaza 13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    maybe someone has expirience with this filter?

2. 2014

2014 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lots of internet wisdom on this, filters better, flows better, save $$ by cleaning and oiling and not replacing.....then the other story.... filters much less, lets fine dust get in, extra flow does not matter if you are not providing extra fuel. I remember seeing tests that show a lot of dust downstream of the filter. Even if it is OK, why risk using it when OEM and Toyota filters are so inexpensive?

Zaza 13 likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't.

These filters will do nothing but add more oil to your intake system and possibly contaminate your Mass Air Flow Sensor if you over-oil the filter - or - allow too much dirt to enter your air intake if you do not over oil the filter.
    These filters do not save any real money over the normal life of the car if you clean and re-oil them like you're supposed to, and all of the claims of better MPG and more raw horsepower are either made up or grossly exaggerated.

AT BEST, you're perhaps not placing 10 air filters into landfills and maybe saving less than $50 over the life of the car.....and perhaps not that if the filter damages the car's intake or actually WORKS and allows more air into the engine, which will force the ECU to widen the fuel pulse to keep from leaning out the engine.

Bad idea for most cars.
    Worse idea for Priuses.

4. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, i had something similarly written, but less eloquent to the above. So +1 for ETC's post!!!

CR94 and Zaza 13 like this.
  5. Zaza 13

Zaza 13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    only reason was because of high price on oem parts in country and very hot weather. (I live in israel).
    thanks to everyone!

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    +2

And even if they were somehow a little better......they are a GIANT pain in the butt for most people.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that you were in Isreal, and considered that before I posted.

I'm thinking that Amazon might deliver in whatever part of Israel you call home and so it might be possible to get the OEM filter from an on-line distributor rather than from the dealer. Also, there are several knock-off paper air filters that will provide adequate filtration without having to clean and re-oil them.

Temperature is no factor here, since the normal operating temperature for your engine is near 100c.
    The last time I was in your part of the world (regrettably, not in Israel!) it was HOT (60-ish) but not 100c.
    In addition to being hot, your part of Israel might be quite DUSTY, and this will require you to replace your air filter more often than the warranty and maintenance guide advises for "normal" service.
    If you live in a relatively large city like Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, etc, then you probably have decent roads.
    Generically, engine air filters should be replaced between 15,000 and 30,000 miles, depending on driving.

I replace mine every 12,000 or so.

If gas and OEM parts are expensive in Israel, then so are car repairs.

Good Luck!
    בְּהַצְלָחָה

Zaza 13 likes this.
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Smaller Al Gore footprint?

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm at ~82K kms on the original filter, and it looks virtually new. Just a hint of soot on the edges of the pleats, if you look on a shallow angle. Virtually always on paved road, west coast, appreciate that's a factor.

Zaza 13 likes this.
  11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You must have access to legitimate brands at lower prices, I would hope. K&N=trouble.

12. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    K&N filters are bad news. I was a former K&N filter user so that comes from experience. You're only changing out the filter in your Prius every 30,000 miles / 48,000 Km it can't be that big of an expense?

In my case a K&N filter installed for forty thousand miles resulted in a seized Turbo with the front impeller covered with a dirty oily grime. The next one hundred and thirty thousand miles on the new turbo with a factory Volvo paper filter, the front impeller looked brand new.

K&N fan boy says you over oiled the filter that is why you have all that oil down stream of the air box. Then where did all that dirt come from? Hummmm?

#12 ALS, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use the k&n cabin filter, it runs 8 hours a day at work. It gunks up once every 3 month due to pollen & other tree stuff, I uploaded photos of it before for naysayers. If I was to buy the cabin filter every 3 months my paper footprint would end the world in 12 years. It doesn’t harm anything if you over spray the cabin filter but i don’t recommend the k&n engine filter.

Ed Beaty likes this.