1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[ KB ] How to eliminate Reverse Beep & Seatbelt Beep

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Danny, Mar 15, 2004.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evs @ Jun 30 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]279484[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, damn. Maybe swear at it louder? Maybe we can find where that beeper is and *really* disable it.

Thrilled to hear about your EV biz. I'll have to put a pointer to it from my site.

2. evs

evs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jul 1 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]279926[/snapback]</div>
    thanks ;)

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evs @ Jul 2 2006, 01:08 AM) [snapback]280022[/snapback]</div>
    :) I caught this before the edit... I'm on the road and cannot edit my site from here. I'll put in on my links page eventually. But not for a few more days!

4. bacinmass

bacinmass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just wanted to add this observation...

I find the reverse beeping to be a significant distraction when backing up -- the racket is just so darned annoying. And if there is a passenger in the car, they are asking "what on earth is that racket?" which is yet another distraction.

Bottom line, IMHO, the reverse beep is a safety hazard, not a safety feature!

Happy Fourth to All

5. kurtjamesma

kurtjamesma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The link no longer works. Help.

6. techiechick

techiechick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Can someone repost this? None of the old links work...

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How to eliminate Reverse Beep & Seatbelt Beep

This procedure works in North American Prius. It may not work in other regions. It may or may not work in other HSD vehicles.
    1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY. IG-ON will do for this purpose.
    2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO - not Trip A or Trip B
    3. Power off the car.
    4. Now power the car to READY (brake on). This is required so that step 6 works correctly.
    5. Immediately, within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 20 seconds or more. Do not release, just hold it for 20 seconds.
    6. Then WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO button, shift the "gear" selector to R, then press the Park button. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
    7. If the last step was successful, b on or b off should be displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is normally displayed. b on is beep on, and b off is beep off.
    8. Press the Trip/ODO button to toggle the mode to the one you want.
    9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
    10. Power the car on to READY and confirm the reverse beep status by shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if b off was selected, and should be audible if b on was selected.
    The above procedure turns off the back up beep. To turn off the driver seat-belt beep, instead of shifting in step 6, latch your seat-belt. This takes some contortions since you have to do it with your left hand since your right hand is still holding the ODO button. Be prepared by pulling the seat-belt out all the way and holding the strap in your teeth so there will be no tension. To turn off the passenger seat-belt beep, at step 6 have the passenger sitting in the passenger seat latch that seat-belt buckle. Always wear your seat belt when driving on a public road.

And if it doesn't work the first time, try again. Most people who can't get it to work fail to hold the Trip/ODO button long enough in step five. It's amazing how long 20 seconds is when all you're doing is sitting there holding the button in.

3 people like this.
  9. arthur50428

arthur50428 Scotty Don't

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: How to eliminate Reverse Beep & Seatbelt Beep

Bill,
    Thank you for the help! Very much appreciated! I tried the reverse and both seatbelt fixes and all 3 of them worked perfectly...
    Any other handy hints?
    Thanks again
    Arthur:D

10. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Grassy*butts* to the folks who have kept this thread alive! Disabling the reverse tone was the first 'modification' to my Prius after bringing it home. I have to tell you, during the test drive process at the dealership, that was the one negative item that I could find right away.

I'm glad to see that Toyota trusts us to know what gear we're in. I only have to wonder why there's no reverse tone in any other car on the market. Are they suggesting Prius drivers are absent-minded?

Wait, what are we talking about? Oh yes. Beeping is bad. And thanks to 'ya'll.'

11. Hayduke

Hayduke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How to eliminate Reverse Beep & Seatbelt Beep

Thanks for the tips on how to eliminate the reverse beep. I actually asked the dealership to do it for me. My salesman told me one of the Prius ubersalesmen knows how to do it, but when I went to pick up the car, it wasn't done. It was the first thing I did when I got the car home.

I didn't notice the seat belt alarm. Is that because I always put on my seatbelt before I start the car? I also noticed if I don't wear my seat belt, it beeps for a few seconds and then it stops. Are people just trying to get rid of the few seconds of beeping?

The back alarm, however, was terrible. So glad I got rid of that!

12. Aviator_Guy

Aviator_Guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks Bill... No more reverse Beeping!!!

I wonder if that would eliminate the seat belt beeper in my FJ? I will try it out later, but it worked just fine for my 08 Prius, Thanks!! :plane:

13. AutumnBlue

AutumnBlue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When I click on the link for "Read Full Article" on disabling the beeper, I get a "page not found" error. Help!

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Any chance we can recover the link? I'm proud of that contribution!

15. QuiGonJohn

QuiGonJohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Bill, Thanks!!!

I just did this on my 2009 Prius and it worked great!!!

1 person likes this.
  16. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just did it in my 09. Someone had posted the instructions in another thread, but specified 10 seconds instead of 20. I tried the procedure using 10 seconds at least a dozen times, and it didn't work. Had to try a couple times waiting 20 seconds to get it right, but now the beep is disabled! Hooray! I'll disable the seatbelt ding next.

17. jhev1

jhev1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Worked like a charm in my '09! No more back up beeping, no seatbelt beeps either. Even though I always wear mine, I figured I might as well turn it off. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  18. QuiGonJohn

QuiGonJohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Well the seat belt beep can be very annoying. I have a friend who always wears his seat belt. But one day we went up to a shopping center, picked up a few groceries as well as some take-out. I had gotten back to the car first so I went by the last place he was going, the take-out and when he came out and got in the car, I started home. Of course, he had to get the food settled somewhere, he was putting his wallet away and then of course he would have put on his seat belt. But this was before I disabled and we had to suffer with the annoying buzzer screaming at us. This is the kind of thing disabling it is good for.

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This method does not work on the 2010, I just tried it. Any techs out there with the info on how to do it?

20. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Both items can be turned off by the dealer, using their diagnostic scan tool. Nobody has suggested any way to do it without using the scan tool.