1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[ KB ] How to enable NAV system defeat with the touchscreen

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by LungCookie, Jul 14, 2005.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    UPDATE!!

I was driving along on the highway and actually went through the override process while in motion!!

So if you're driving along and need to make NAV changes, you no longer have to pull over at all. Simply follow the process and you're good to go.

Of course, performing the override and then making navigation changes is quite a bit of eyes-off-the-road distraction.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You didn't know that?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I read this entire thread specifically looking for someone for mention that you could perform this action in motion and saw none. In fact, I saw in another thread that someone referenced these instructions telling someone to "pull over, perform the override procedure, and continue with your trip." This led me to believe that no one had attempted to perform the override while in motion.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Just heard a funny kids program on the radio. Never Assume. I assumed. Sorry. I did set the override when I was leaving Universal, driving on I4.

5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: [ KB ] How to enable NAV system defeat with the touchscr

Recommended to be done by the PASSENGER instead of the driver, while in motion.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    After the first time, while I was reading the instructions as I performed the override, on every subsequent occasion that I did it the car was in motion.

7. hwearsch

hwearsch New Member

Thanks for the procedure enabling NAV system defeat on my Prius.

My brother-in-law has a Lexus RX330 (non hybrid) with a similar NAV system and has the same problem; however, the procdure does not appear to work on the Lexus. Any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

H. Wearsch

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

My understanding was that's how the override was found: with a lexus.

9. franka

franka New Member

I have had my '06 #8 for two weeks and have tried the Nav defeat sequence with no
    success. It worked on my '05 Lexus and 3 other Prius at work('04 & '05s). I even had
    those people try it and still nothing. Does it not work on the new '06?

10. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

If there is a procedure on the '06 no one has discovered it yet. :(

11. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

I also have found that my 06 Prius Manufacture Date of 12/05 does not work as did my 05 Prius. We need to figure out how to access the service mode for the new software.

12. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

I went over to the Clublexus forum and did a bit of a search. I found out how to get into the 06 menu, however I was unable to find a nav defeat like the one that was in the 05. Here are the instructions on getting into the menu system. I wonder if Toyota figured that we were defeating the system and then made sure it wasn't in the newer vehicle. What a bummer. My Alpine system asks me to make sure I understand that I could kill myself and then lets me set a destination while driving. I understand that the 06 will allow you to vocally tell it an intersection and a few other things. My experience with its voice recognition from the 05 was that it sucks. Perhaps in the 06 it is better.

2006 SC 430 Bluetooth handsfree volume

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to DrComputer's post about the 2006 GS: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...26&postcount=49

Even when I was speaking loudly, people could barely hear me on Bluetooth handsfree in my new SC 430 (Motorola V3 RAZR, Cingular). I experimented based on the above GS post, and here is how I adjusted the mic volume, with a bit more detail than the above post:

CAUTION: I read that the service menus have some setttings that can leave your system in a state that you do not want, so avoid pressing any on-screen controls not mentioned here. In general, it seems if you get to a page you don't like and there is not a "BACK" button, try turning your key to "LOCK." When you turn back to "ACC" or "ON," you should get the normal welcome screen.

Transmission in "Park." (Brake not required)
    Turn key to "ACC." (Accessory mode) (Did not try in "ON" or with the engine running, might work.)
    The nav screen needs to be open.
    Press the "DISP" button under the nav screen.
    Just inside the inset border, where the screen underneath is showing through, press the upper left and lower left corners six times: UL, LL, UL, LL, UL, LL. (Don't press the upper left and lower left corners of the SCREEN -- press farther in, inside the corners of the inset rectangle.)
    A service menu will appear.
    Press the green "MENU" button. A higher level menu appears.
    Press the "BT Voice Quality Set" button.
    Next to the "Send Voice Lv," use the "<" and ">" buttons to adjust the level down or up. Your initial level is probably 0, like mine was. I raised mine all the way to +5, apparently the maximum.
    There is also an adjustment for the receiving (incoming) volume.
    (You can only test the results later, when making a call.)
    Press the green "MENU" button to go back to the higher menu.
    If you want to make sure your setting was saved, you can press the "BT Voice Quality Set" button again. The numbers should be the same.
    Turn your key to "LOCK." (This is the only obvious way I saw to get out of the service menu.)
    You are done, and can try making calls.

I don't what the "voice profile" and associated numeric keypad entries do. Mine came set at 6. When I tried re-entering 6 on the numeric keypad, it returned the microphone and speaker volumes to 0.

13. CHART

CHART Member

I'm about to have the recall work done on my 04. Please tell me the defeat continues to work after any reflashing that they do for that work???

14. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

'04s and '05s are not affected, recall or not. The reflash recall does not change the operation of the NAV system.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That's the same service menu available on the 2004/2005. You can also get to it by pressing the Info button, and flashing your tail lights 3 times.

There was a different menu on the 2004/2005 nav that seemed more for developement than for service.

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We'll just have to hope the override is firmware based, and not left because of laziness.

Say it's software: they fixed the 2006's so they can't use the override, but I've not heard of anybody using 5.1 for a 2004/5 say it stopped working. If I sent my programming staff after a backdoor I wanted closed, they had better have closed it everywhere. If it's not coming off the DVD, then we're safe.

For now...

17. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, the firmware is updated through DVD, which can make it difficult to downgrade to an earler version DVD. Remember when one poster (Paul I think) screwed up his nav LOADING setting? He reset his NAV ECU by pulling the built-in backup power, then put it back. It then proceeded to load the DVD software.

Don't the 2006 use a different DVD? I would think so since they have a better resolution image.

18. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The test I went through, they just shoved the '5.1' from some other car into my drive and the map version changed while the car was still on. I doubt any long, firmware-burning procedure happened during the Official Install, but that's based on my assumption that the test was run the way they'd do the upgrade for real.

Even my PS2 takes a few moments to save a game to the memory card so I assume a big pile of code would take longer.

So, if anyone with a 2004/5 can say that going from 4.2 to 5.1 and back and forth a few times (including a power-off) doesn't do anything to the override, then even if new firmware is loaded each time it's not there. However, that also might just prove that a firmware burn would need to be done through a service menu instead of just a disk swap. Anyone have the Official Install directions?

But again, why would 5.1 for the 2004/5 not include this 'fix' if it was deliverable at all that way? Why just cripple the newbies? And yes, there's a different DVD for a 2006, but why just 'fix' one version, if you are shipping two?...

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You can go from 5.1 to 4.2 and back as needed. Override works fine with 5.1.

Nate

20. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, so we're left with:

1) 5.1 DVD includes 'fix', but 2004/5 left alone for moral/political/laziness reasons.

2) 5.1 DVD includes 'fix', 2004/5 would be affected, but only if some secret firmware update is invoked since just shoving the DVD in maybe just reads newer map data.

3) 5.1 DVD doesn't include 'fix': 2006 hardware change included that.

I'm hoping for #3, including all future updates, now and until I get a 2014 Prius with whatever NAV it comes with...