1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[ KB ] How to enable NAV system defeat with the touchscreen

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by LungCookie, Jul 14, 2005.

1. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

To access the override, you used to press MENU, VOLUME (etc). Those sound like MFD firmware functions rather than NAV functions. Not sure what the specific mechanics were after you pressed OVERRIDE, but since there's a speed input to the MFD, I'll go out on a limb and say the graying out of the buttons was a MFD function as well. Could be the NAV software only defined what buttons should be grayed at speed, and the MFD did all the rest. In this case the firmware in the '06 MFD is what's different.

When you speak of version 5.1, you are talking about just the map database version. The software on the DVD is not included in that version number. Since there are two different v5.1 part numbers (one for an '04/'05 and one for an '06), I would assume there is software on the disk, and it is different on the '06. I still don't believe the disk is the reason why the override doesn't work, but just saying v5.1 isn't enough to say the disks are the same.

A good test would be to pull an '05 disk and see if you can still get to the override. If you can, the override button was part of the MFD system...

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

First off, I believe that diagnostic screen is from the NAV. Pressing MENU causes you to have to press "I Agree", which is a NAV function. Ever notice that some non map based functions require the "I Agree" (such as calendar and maintenance schedule) while others don't? (like phonebook)

I think she was wrong, but I was talking to the parts lady while I was getting my oil changed, and she claimed that the 2005 5.1 DVD had a different part number than the 2004. Also, I believe the 4.2 and the 5.1 has the same software (for 2004/2005). It was 4.2 that added that sky blue line for routes that could not provide turn-turn guidance.

3. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

OK, I took the Nav disc out of my 05 I think it said version w41 and tried it in my 06. It would not work. I took the disc out of my 06 U40 and tried it in the 05 and it would not work. There might be a special way to reboot the system. But I was not sure. Anyone out there know if I had to tell the system that it had a new disc and reboot????

Manny

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The only thing I want to add is that the NAV Enhancement Kit from Coastal Tech uses the NAV override trick that works with the '04-'05, but not with the '06. When you press the DEST button you see the same screens as if you did it yourself. Same thing with the "I Agree." It comes up for a couple of seconds and then the button changes color and the screen goes to map.

5. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

So it is looking like the only way to input while driving is to cut the speed sensor wire for the nav and hook it up to a switch. That way you can enter an address and once in reset the switch. The nav will have to find itself since you were traveling while inputing. Is this it then guys or is there still hope???

Manny

6. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's probably the case. If you go here, you'll see the plans.

7. lrosenbl

lrosenbl New Member

8. lrosenbl

lrosenbl New Member

I unfortunately touched the Loading button, being of a curious nature. Now the NAV system will not do anything except ask for a data disk to be inserted, and the deal and Toyota both claim I broke it. They've replaced the display electronics, and next want to replace the ECU for the GPS. Does this make any sense??? :unsure:

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Somebody figured out how to fix that (you don't need the display and stuff replaced, it is fixable), but it's been so long I've completely forgotten the procedure....so some searching on the site and maybe someone will know where this info is to help you out.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found the instructions! It's not for the faint of heart, but if you can't do it yourself maybe you can get the dealer or at least a custom audio shop to do it for you...
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=10287&st=100#

WARNING: Attempt this at your own risk!!! I take no responsibility for misinterpretation of these instructions which may lead to permanent damage to your NAV ECU or yourself. However, since you got this far in "breaking" your NAV, you're probably brave enough to fix it too!

Steps:

Pull NAV ECU:
    • Remove rear plastic cover by pulling plastic retaining clips/pins. I found two flathead screwdrivers helped with this.
    • Remove 4 8mm/philips screws, 2 on each side retaining ECU.
    • Remove 4 harness connectors at front of driver's seat.
    • You'll need to spread bracket just a tad in order to dislodge the ECU from the bracket.

• Open NAV ECU, perform "fix":
        • Remove 8 screws from the bottom of the ECU.
        • Cover is held in place by 1 tab on each side that fits around a small bump on the top cover. Using a small flathead screwdriver, spread the cover at the bump. The ECU cover should then tilt up and come right off.
        • With the plugs at the front, the left board is the NAV logic, and the right appears to be the AVC-LAN interface and power supply. There is a ribbon cable separating the two. These boards should lift right out, as the cover screws are holding them in place.
        • At whichever location is easiest, lift the retaining clip at one end of the ribbon cable connecting the power supply board to the "logic" board, then gently pull the ribbon cable free. This effectively disconnects the battery backup from the ECU.
        • I also spotted a black momentary switch on the power supply board. This may also be a reset/backup power interrupt, however being a multi-layer board, I couldn't easily follow the traces to double-check. For safe measure, I press and held this for a few seconds as well.
        • Re-insert the ribbon cable, ensuring that it's aligned correctly. Push the retaining clip back down to secure the cable.
        • Replace the boards, ensuring that the boards fit onto the alignment tabs. The power supply board was a bit tricky here.
        • Replace the cover. I found that securing the screws over the power supply board first helped to keep it aligned as mine wanted to pop out of place.
        • Replace the ECU, reversing the steps of removal.
        • Power on. You'll see on the NAV screen: Loading application, do not power off.
        • I then saw the "Agree" screen. Success!

• You'll need to restore all of your map points, but that's a minor inconvenience compared to the cost of a new NAV unit or a dealer visit. Hope this helps anyone else who was unfortunate enough to see what "loading" did.

Sorry for lack of pics, perhaps the next person to attempt this fix could photo-document this.

11. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I couldn't find it, but it's something scary like disconnecting the front cables, removing the top of the NAV system and then disconnecting (and reconnecting) a ribbon cable. They also saw a reset button inside, which they pressed. That may have done the fix by itself.

In the end it worked, but everything had to be set back up again. When I installed Coastal's NAV kit, I had to reset the search area, and a couple of options on the MFD, but my POIs were still there.

Heh, efusco beat me to it, but that's the whole proceedure that I remember (and I don't remember seeing any photos of it).

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Those would be my instructions - because I too went into the menu out of pure curiosity. Sorry I didn't take photos when I figured out the fix, I was desperate at the time and was just plain surprised it worked.

I can't believe the Dealer tried replacing the display ECU first when it's the NAV ECU service screen that the user was messing with!

I only hope that they all (user and dealer) learn from this. In a perfect world, Toyota would create a TSB outlining the procedure in the unlikely event this reoccurs, but then dealers wouldn't have the option of charging alot of money for a new NAV ECU ;-).

What surprises me even more is that this person said the dealer contacted Denso (or Toyota did on their behalf), and even they didn't know how to fix, only offered a used unit at a very high price.

Thanks all for the PM's asking for help - sorry I didn't respond sooner.

-Rick

13. 05PriusDriver

05PriusDriver New Member

I just tried this. Works like a charm.

I have been asking about this for months now.

Finding this website is a blessing!

Thank you all for everything. I have a feeling there is going to be a few nights of lost sleep due to browsing this place.

14. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LungCookie @ Jul 14 2005, 10:50 PM) [snapback]107391[/snapback]</div>
    Hi: I'm getting a HTTP 404 Page not found. Unable to get to the article. Can you resubmit please??? :huh:

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susanne101 @ Apr 15 2007, 09:38 AM) [snapback]423592[/snapback]</div>
    I've got the instructions typed up a little fancier somewhere, but here's the basics...it becomes second nature after a few times.

1)Press the "Menu" button on the Bezel
    2)Touch "I Agree" if necessary...you may need to touch the "Menu" button again at this point.
    3)Touch the "Volume" soft key.
    4)On the "Volume screen" touch the top left corner of the screen, then the bottom left, top left and bottom left....the display should change to the diagnostic/hidden menu at this point.
    5)Press and hold the "Override" soft key (under no circumstance should you EVER touch the "Loading"...see other posts in this thread to see why)...
    6)Once you get a 'beep' (about 3 seconds) you can release the "Override" button, touch the "Back" button at the top right.
    7)Now you can hit "DEST" on the bezel and you'll have full access to all NAV features.

1 person likes this.
  16. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susanne101 @ Apr 15 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]423592[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't much matter for you. It does not work for the 2006 and 2007 models.

- Tom

17. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Susanne101 @ Apr 15 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]423592[/snapback]</div>
    I'm also getting a 404. :unsure: I'd love to know how do do this.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Apr 15 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]423597[/snapback]</div>
    see my post 2 posts back.

19. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulccullen @ Apr 15 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]423597[/snapback]</div>
    Now I see Tom's post not working on 2006/2007 models. Since my wife's car (2006) is the one with NAV, I guess it doesn't apply to me either. Bummer.

But is there a problem with the PC Knowledge Base?

20. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 15 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]423594[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you so much Evan. As always we can count on you. You are the best.