1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keep mice out. Easy diy... (before they get in)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Albert Barbuto, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Albert Barbuto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Cold weather has arrived here in the Northeast. Field mice can't resist the urge to build a nest in your vehicle. Or better yet, dine on your tasty wiring. Put an end to this right now! Catch the mice outside of your vehicle, before they go inside. Do it easily.

Living in the country for the past thirty years, every vehicle I've owned, the mice have nested. Youtube provided the solution. The five gallon bucket trap. I merely place this near the passenger front wheel, and the trap works without fail. Baiting the trap with peanut butter, the smell is much too much for the mice to resist. They jump from the bucket edge to the spinning central can, and down they go, into the liquid below. (Use water for above freezing, antifreeze for below.)

I owned the Prius for about one year, before the field mice took notice. I saw droppings in the spare tire area. Setting up the five gallon bucket trap, two mice were caught by the next morning. No more activity detected. :)

Attached Files:

2. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think I'm going with snap-traps in the engine compartment of our RAV4P, for now. Thanks!

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a cool idea. I have our pest control guys set out poison bait stations. Unfortunately, the rats and mice run off and hide before they die.

That has lead to unpleasant odors permeating in and around the house and garage, where we cannot locate exactly where it is coming from.

With these traps, they'll all be in one place till disposal.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s a lid product for those 5 gallon pail, called Flip N Slide (genuine version by Rinne Traps). Got one on Amazon last year for $40 CDN.

FWIW hasn’t caught anything yet. We did have one trouble maker, and an old school mouse trap did him in, but I’ve heard the flip n slide is quite effective.

@Salamander_King has had good results with it I think.

Salamander_King likes this.
  5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Excellent variation. Will be setting some up, out at the farm. Somehow they get into the farmhouse, been ongoing for the last 10 years.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The mouse traps are effective in reducing the population of mice in a location already infested. But it does not permanently prevent rodent problems. They are smart enough to learn how to avoid it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.