1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Entropy4All

Entropy4All Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just finished swapping my HV battery with reconditioned modules. I'm thinking about keeping my core, and doing my own reconditioning on it. Superficially, the original modules look better than the ones that I put in. Using a voltmeter I see one of the modules may have a dead cell in it. Any opinions on whether it's worth the $400 to hold on to my core?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So we are all in the same page for your question:
    • Did you swap modules?
    • Did you replace the pack with a new pack from Toyota, a 2k1Toaster pack?
    • How did you recondition the pack: module by module or a grid charger and Discharger like that available from Hybrid Automotive?
    • How many modules were bad?

You can probably sell the non failed modules on Craigslist for $20 a piece and make back the $400 rather easily, if that’s what you meant.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

SFO likes this.
  3. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I swapped all the modules with a full set of reconditioned modules that I purchased (there was a $400 dollar core charge)
    I haven't reconditioned anything myself yet, if I do it will probably be a 4 channel charger/discharger
    I haven't done any extensive testing on the modules that came with the car yet, cursory test with the voltmeter found one that appeared bad.

4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where’d you buy the reconditioned modules?

5. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure why it matters, but Some Ebay seller in Pennsylvania that goes by Hybrid Reconditioning. I ordered them before I was on this board, which was probably a mistake.

6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It’s more of how do you know it’s been reconditioned. As someone who reconditions our 2010 and has helped rebuild 2 packs, having a claim of that coupled with your observations of performance makes me think something is up.

How much were the modules off of eBay? If he’s charging a $400 core charge, do you also have to pay shipping?

7. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose I don't know that they are reconditioned, they seem to be working and seem to have 1 year warranty. As I said, it could have been a poor choice, but I was ignorant of better options and didn't actually know what else might be wrong with the vehicle. It was $740 plus core for the set, shipping to me included. I would need to pay return shipping to get the core refund.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not beating on you, as you did what you needed to do and your deal is already done. But for future thread viewers, for that $1140, one could have relatively easily gotten a battery from a 2015 or 2016 wreck and installed those modules into your Gen 2 pack. Those modules would last for years and years with no worries.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So if I calculate correctly, that is $1140 to you, or about $40 a module. Seems like a very low margin for his business and I would be suspicious of the quality of the reconditioned modules;).

You can swap em out, but beware that you’ll probably be doing Thai activity again;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

10. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, per my post at the start of this thread, I have already swapped them out. The question at hand was should I get the $400 back, or hold on to my core.

11. Entropy4All

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestion, I have the option at this point to get $400 back, and probably will.