1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keep or Sell 2012 Prius V?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by uskallen, Dec 23, 2022.

1. uskallen

uskallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking for advice as to whether I should continue driving the vehicle I've had for the last 6 years, a 2015 Honda CR-V with 60K miles, or sell it and drive my late father's 2012 Prius V with 54K miles.

The Prius sat for about 3 years without being driven, so I recently had the hybrid battery and 12V battery replaced along with tires. I had the oil changed and it seems to be running great and without any issues. I've been driving it every week or two to keep it charged. As far as I know it doesn't need any other maintenance at this time.

I've been educating myself on the potential issues and weak spots in the Prius, and the likelihood and costs of those issues is a large part of my decision. I have to compare that against the relative simplicity of my 4 cylinder CR-V and the lower likelihood that I'll have an expensive repair. I don't want to trade potentially more complex and expensive repairs just to gain a small increase in fuel economy.

I drive about 8K miles a year so gas mileage is not a major consideration. They are comparable in terms of size, space and features and I don't have a strong preference over the way one drives vs. the other. I have considered upgrading to something nicer within the next year, but haven't made up my mind.

What would you do in my situation and why? Are there ways I can evaluate the Prius now to gain an indication of whether something may go wrong with it soon?

Appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its a no brainer at 8k miles a year and gas now at $2.50 a gallon.

Sell the Prius now for a higher than normal price and keep the Honda. The Prius could have an engine ($4-7k) and a brake booster ($2.5k) in its future, especially a 2012.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have and keep both, and wouldn’t trade either, a 2005 CR-V SE, and a 2012 Prius v Five, using both around town, with a bias toward the CR-Vs seating height, and the Prius on long-hauls, with a bias for the better road manners, a total of 8,000 miles annually.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sell te prius before it implodes

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any way to tell?
    You could call a few dealers and ask how much for a health check with printout.

Only other way I can think of is to start DIYing one thing at a time.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with @rjparker on this one.

If you drove a lot, and/or if fuel were expensive, then the potential downsides of Prius complexity would be offset by constant savings at the pump.

But if you aren't driving a lot, that leaves you owning all the risk but less able to cash in on the reward.

Sell the Prius.

rjparker likes this.
  7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unless you have a bad head gasket now there is little a Toyota dealer or anyone else can tell you about pending issues that have not happened yet. But they do know the engines are flawed in a basic way given the low tension rings and pistons. They do know the brake booster problem. There are also inverter issues.

The first issue was recognized and covered for 60k miles but was not advertised or discussed here much in the early days. Primarily because the gen3 engine doesn't typically burn excessive oil, won't dump oil in the intake manifold creating carbon or usually does not blow head gaskets or engines until 100k miles or more. Lately age is taking them out earlier than the 150-200k mile experiences of a few years ago.

Brake Boosters are also flawed in gen3s but coverage has expired for most at ten years or 150k miles. They are a safety issue and a large expense.

Inverters are still covered unless someone outside of Toyota messed with them first. Being stranded suddenly is no fun; been there done that.

The early v's prior to 2015 also have poor crash test results on the driver's side. Be sure your medical insurance is comprehensive.

However unsuspecting Uber and other delivery drivers love Prii, often from afar. After they date it once they commit and often learn the ugly side later. Which is good for the seller in today's low inventory market.

A Honda several years younger is the smart choice. Maybe a little homlier on the outside but with a heart of gold. You don't want high maintenance women or cars. Ms Honda will keep you happy and they are low maintenance types anyone can take care of.

#7 rjparker, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The latest CRV’s are direct injected, turbo charged, 1.5 liter, and there’s been oil dilution (with gas) IIRC. But that’s more recent than OP’s?

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We maintain our ‘fleet’ on schedule and drive them until they give up.

Turbos (other than a few notable race track examples, Porsche 917/10 and 30, Nissan GTP-ZX) have never interested me due to tight packaging, heat, bearing coking, and potential for and costs associated with early failure.

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 2017 crvs started the 1.5L turbo DI engines. The 2.4L port injection engines were rock solid honda engineering. They were still an option through 2020 on the low end crvs. In reality the faster higher mpg turbos DIs have been ok so far but their long term maintenance costs could skyrocket. Kind of like high mile gen3 prii. A 2.4L can routinely go 300k miles on dino oil without major maintenance.

In most other aspects the gas honda crv beats the standard rav4, especially ride and ergonomics. Rav4 rules as a hybrid and has been in short supply since it came out two years prior to covid.

#10 rjparker, Dec 26, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I used to avoid turbos for their complexity and expense.

But I have seen a difference: about 15-20 years ago everyone started repackaging their cooling systems to include a header tank higher than the turbo. This seemed to provide some crucial post-shutdown cooling which worked well to prevent bearing coking, and with that problem knocked down even more of the masses (like me) could enjoy that boost.

So, since then I've personally run a Subaru through 12 years/200k miles on the factory turbo, and I don't have any particular fears for my current Mazda turbo.

I probably wouldn't have chosen it a la carte, but in both cases that's just how the car I wanted was equipped, and I learned to deal with it- much the way Toyota sold us the hatchback we wanted, and it just happened to be a hybrid.

12. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honda and Toyota occupy the top two spots on my "cars that I like enough to buy and recommend" for the past 25 years. That said, if you don't "need" (or strongly like) the Prius, then sell it. While many of these hybrids have gone 200,000+ miles, they are more complex (more that can break) and fewer shops that can/will work on them.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. uskallen

uskallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone, I was already leaning toward selling the Prius and this just solidified that decision.

My CRV has the 2.4 and CVT. I’m not crazy about the CVT but no issues yet. I didn’t want the turbo 1.5 as I didn’t want additional complexity that might be a large repair later down the road. We tend to keep our cars 10+ years when possible.

bisco likes this.