1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keep up the good work Toyota!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sandollars, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Sandollars

Sandollars Prius Maven

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As you can see by my quantity of posts, I haven't contributed much since I signed up here. But after spending the last 2 hours this morning going through the newest threads and finding most of them are complaints, I just felt compelled to speak up.

I am a single Dad and one of the perks of not having a spouse is being able to spend my money on what I want anytime I want. :) Consequently, I have owned a LOT of cars in my life so far. I buy a new car every year and keep them for 3 years. That means I have 3 cars at any given time.

Right now it's a:

Commuter= 2010 Prius,
    Truck= 2008 Chev 2500 Duramax,
    Toy = 2010 Camaro SS/RS.

In the past 10 years, I have owned at least 1 car from the USA's big 3, Porsche, Mercedes, Astin Martin, and BMW. I have seen recalls on every single car I have owned.

This 2010 Prius V w/AT is the first Japanese car I have owned and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. The quality for the buck is a better value than any car I have owned in the past.

I think a lot of you take your cars for granted, that Toyota has let you down and you express it like the sky is falling.

Okay, so the Darling of the Automotive Industry has had to recall a BUNCH of cars. This is not new. All auto makers have to do it on occasion. Toyota has had a considerably better record than most regarding recalls, but have had a bad run of luck of late.

I just wanted to share with you all that I LOVE my little commuter. It handles well and behaves like a good commuter should. It safely and comfortably drags me and my 3 kids around anywhere we want to go.

Thank you Toyota for making such a great Hybrid car.

Yes, I will be taking mine in for the software update. Sh*t happens. AND I am excited because this little commuter has opened my eyes to a whole new hemisphere of cars to check out.

I think I see a Lexus hybrid in my future. ESPECIALLY if they can figure how to up those MPGs in the next 3 years.

Keep up the good work Toyota!

13 people like this.
  2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great post :thumb:

3. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have owned, 3-Audi, 3-Chevrolet,2-Ford, 4-Acura, 3-Honda, 1-Oldsmobile, 2-Porsche,3-VW, 2-Lexus, 5-Toyota

I agree with you 100%! Amen! But for me my list goes back to 1965.

One of my new Chevies had 12 defects that had to be fixed right off the delivery truck. My Audis had problems and among them they had the unintended acceleration which Audi totally denied ever existed, the biggest acceleration problem i h=actually had was the money accelerating out of my pocket due to the loss in resale value, my VW's had several issues and recalls, my chevy never was fixed totally in 90,000 miles.

I have owned 7 Toyota family( Lexus included) because they have been by far the most trouble free vehicles i have ever owned and until now i have had only one other recall from Toyota/Lexus! Toyota/Lexus i will be back again the next time i need another car. I would also buy Honda/Acura again. US built cars, probably never after all the issues i had with them that never we fixed to my satisfaction, and several just not fixed even according to the dealer who just gave up.

4. pdth

pdth Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm with you, Sandollars. Very happy with my first Toyota and would definitely do it again. Don't be too put off by the negativity here. A lot of people never join a forum or post anything until they have a problem. And the anonymity encourages trolls and other noise-makers. I follow other forums on topics for fun or professional interest, and they are all like this. As long as the moderator is effective at keeping the conversation civil and filtering out bad behavior, the forum works. If he doesn't, another better forum will soon pop up.

5. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a breath of fresh air to see some well-informed and sensible posts. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your Prius!!!

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, in case, i have owned a ton of cars, but before my 3 Pri's only 2 of them were bought new. most of what i had owned were very well worn by the time i got them. but even then, Toyota stood waaay out in front for reliability.

even with all the noise, if i had to do it all over again, i would still be driving the same thing.

that pretty sums it up for me.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice line up of cars. :)

When I bought my Prius I had a similar lineup:

2005 Prius
    2001 GMC Ext. Z71 (twin turbo 5.3L)
    2000 C5 Corvette
    2000 Trans Am (heads/cam, nitrous, 4400 stall)

Now I only have the Prius and I'm happy. :D

8. azgringo

azgringo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great post. Toyota has a very long history of reliability. Whenever ANYTHING is mass-produced, problems will inevitably arise. You're right....many vehicles have recalls. I think some of the negativity you see here is a result of so many pro-Toyota people who are upset that the company they've come to know and love has not responded to the many problems they're facing in a way that one would expect from Toyota. While I do think Toyota could have a done a better job handling this debacle, they will pull out of this mess with some valuable lessons learned. I, too, love my Prius and will definitely look at Toyota products again in the future.

9. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There seems to be something in our culture that looks suspiciously on anyone who is successful. I remember back when I was in school taking driver's ed, I got sneers from the other students when the teacher announced that I had the high score so far for the class.

This is only the third car I have owned, and the second Toyota. You could say I'm spoiled, but the decision to buy these two Toyotas was my decision. Some people find it hard to believe that it is possible to buy a high quality reliable car.

10. J4mes

J4mes New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never driven anything but a Prius! I learned how to drive in a Prius, and I got a used Prius for my first car. I'm a techie kid, so its just about the only car I would want...except maybe a nice new tesla....or an EV1 =(. heres to the future! :p

11. w202mae

w202mae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Being at 32 I had a long history of cars:

1991 Nissan 240SX
    1992 Mitsubishi GSX
    1993 Mazda RX-7
    1995 Toyota Celica
    1995 Nissan 240SX
    1997 Honda Prelude SH
    2002 Mercedes CL600 *Currently own*
    2002 Toyota Rav-4
    2002 BMW M5
    2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 *Currently own*
    2003 BMW 325i
    2005 Porsche Cayenne TT
    2007 BMW 328i
    2007 Mercedes E55 AMG
    2009 Nissan R35 GT-R *Currently own*
    2010 Toyota Prius *Currently own*

I have a hand full of experience with Euro/Japanese makes. Surprisingly I love driving the Prius and it is my daily right now. I actually prefer driving it everyday knowing I can get great mpg, save money on gas, and not have to worry about people looking at me in expensive cars pointing fingers or trying to rob me when I get home. To me the Prius is economical all around car that does everything for me with most of everything I wanted in a car (Nav, heated seats, sunroof, all power, automatic and whopping 45-50mpg wow).

12. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is a formula to get all kinds of thanks, kudos and pats on the back from these forums. Peace, love and goodness in all the Prius world!

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You forgot:

Slamming trolls
    Posting funny pics
    Proving someone wrong when they have been very vocal
    Posting sexual innuendos
    Proving good information that is useful to other owners

Provide truth and not drama and you'll generally fit in to the PC groove. Otherwise......

[​IMG]

14. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Although I don't have the experience some of you have, I have owned:

1966 Pontiac Catalina
    1967 Ford Mustang
    1971 American Motors Gremlin
    1973 Buick LeSabre
    1981 Toyota Celica
    1994 Toyota 4Runner
    1996 Nissan Quest
    1996 Nissan Maxima
    2008 Toyota Prius
    2010 Toyota Rav4

In the middle of all of these Toyota recalls and press, we purchased the 2010 Rav4. And I do mean right in the middle. Delivery was delayed when Toyota put a stop on the sale of the Rav4. We have had it about a week now. I never thought twice about whether or not to go through with the purchase. I have been far and away happier with Toyota's quality than any other vehicle I have owned. I had the 81 Celica for 15 years and only had to sell it due to a growing family.

Good post, Sandollars, I agree.