1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keeping older Prius vs. trading in for new.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MJean0714, Jun 3, 2012.

1. evenjack

evenjack Junior Member

Hi: I've got a 2004 Prius with 162,000 miles... Runs perfectly... I plan on keeping it to 250,000 miles. I figure that's roughly the distance that it will have paid for itself (as compared to my wife's Honda Pilot that gets 21mpg). I also have only had a water pump problem. I change oil every 5,000 miles and figure that's just about the only maintenance needed. Good Luck!!!

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I may be off base, but it sounds more like they want your car (under 100,000) for their used car lot, after they pencil whip you a "good trade in". Usually...cars over 100,000 mile cars go straight to auction.

3. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One

4. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have 07 with 210k miles, I just replaced throttle body, my first major expense. I bought my wife a 2012, I like the older one better. Less complicated and easier to look behind - my opinion.

I think the dealer is pulling your leg, modern cars are built to go over 100k. I've had Toyotas go 300-350k before I sold them, and no work done to the engine.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Concur.

I've never been a big fan of spending money to save money.
    I think that the only thing that the dealership was interested in upgrading is their monthly sales figure.

IMHO the only reason that a Prius with 99,9999 miles is any more valuable than the same car one mile later is that humans normally have 10 fingers. If your car is in good shape and has excellent service records then it's going to be nearly as valuable in 10,000 miles as it is right now....besides...remind the studio audience how often they put salt on the roads down in Florida.

Keep it and take more vacations!

Good Luck!

6. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My parents and I each have '07s that run like new--we have no interest in going newer. Replaced the engine water pump on one. Both are on newer aux batteries and tires. That's been it, other than oil and filter changes.

7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Heres what I have noticed in my region....

When the Prius hits 100,000 miles or 8 years, the HV battery warranty expires (at least in my state). Once a Prius goes for sale at/over 100k miles, the value slightly diminishes on the used car market because of this.

IMO, it has nothing to do with reliability, etc... but I think consumers looking at a used Prius with no hybrid battery warranty makes them want to pay less. Certainly, an intact hybrid battery warranty is worth something to people in the market for a used hybrid.

I would not have purchased my 2007 as my first ever hybrid car, without the HV battery warranty. OR if I "absolutely" had to have *that* car, I would've knocked a bunch of money off the asking price just in case the HV battery died the next day. Of course, as Prius owners we know better but most existing Prius owners arent buying 2004-2009 Priuses anymore - they are buying Gen3's. Seems Gen2's are more affordable and going to first timers now.

With all that being said, this is the exact reason I wanted to sell my 2007 before I hit 100k miles. Im at 88k now. I really hate to get rid of it, but if hitting 100k miles means taking a $2-3-4,000 hit in value while I owe $10,028 still, then I gotta do what I gotta do right?

Again, this is what I noticed in my area (metro Detroit).