1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keeping Prius Forever: Comfort mods!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PriusofMalabar, Sep 15, 2016.

1. PriusofMalabar

PriusofMalabar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I own a Gen 2 Prius and it has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. I love its practicality, its frugality (though I have trouble hitting those high mpgs), its tech factor and its iconic kammback shape. Its definitely going to be a classic car someday.

I plan to keep it forever (or atleast till it dies, which I hear can be up to half a million miles with regular maintenance.)

But lets be honest, its not the most comfortable car around. I have been in older economy cars that are more comfortable. What mods can I do to make it as comfortable as a luxury car as possible?

What I can think off the top of my head is the noise. The engine is pretty low, but some engine noise gets into the cabin, as well as road noise. I have a beater 09 Sonata and I really notice how quiet and insulated and refined it feels inside. Will sound-deadening panels help? I'm also thinking about a better music system to blanket that sound. What else would you suggest?

Another comfort factor is the dashboard and other interior panels. It has a rough, plasticky, clickety-clackety feel to them. I'm considering wrapping them in foam and vinyl if that is not too expensive. Have to research that a bit.

Also the steering wheel. A nice comfortable cover. Any you would suggest? A link to a good one would be much appreciated.

But the biggest issue I have with the car has got to be the seats. The other driver of this car is very short and had a terrible car accident years back and has chronic back ache. We never realized how difficult these seats were going to be. What suggestions does anyone have to improve or replace them (without losing the airbags)? Particularly for short people, and comfort? I would love to put in some comfortable OEM power seats from a salvage yard that fits easily. I'm not considering Recaros.

Any other suggestions? Comfort and luxury is the focus here.

bisco likes this.
  2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I thought (I’m quite short myself) that (gen 2) Prius seats are pretty comfortable if you’re not long. So really test that whatever you’re replacing it (seat or the car) is truly better.

I think that engine is so quiet unless you race it so almost all noise is road noise. Best way to quite that is to change tires.

If you want to sound deadening probably best areas would be front doors and trunk floor (you should get a good reduction of road noise from those) (both of those are easy to do as well). Sound deadening front doors will also improve sound quality.

Do you have the JBL system? If you do unplug the center speaker it will improve the sound quality (while at it also check that it doesn’t rattle). Also if you do or do not have JBL system will affect how to upgrade the sound system.

prius_newb66 likes this.
  3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sound deadening panels do help. I have them in my car in all 4 doors, my trunk door, and around the spare tire. I used this. Using that stuff you just want to go around tapping different parts of your door panels, and where it makes the most noise, put damping on it. Just as important is quiet tires.

Sound system - aftermarket CD players and replace speakers. I put two 10" subs in a custom enclosure replacing the hidden space in my trunk. Here's a pic before I finished it.

CosbyComedy likes this.
  4. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regarding the seats, I used to have a 2010 V with leathers eats and an electricly adjustable lumbar support. The seat was very comfortable. Are you aware that you can manually adjust the back slant and seat height?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. timmyjane

timmyjane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use a 3" thick foam pad on the arm rest. Makes a ton of difference to me.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quiet - owners have put dynamat in the door panels in an attempt to reduce outside noise through those panels. If you want to go nuts, you could probably put some underneath the carpets but that'll require taking out the front seats.

You could also run on Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (or equivalent quiet tires).

Wheel - The PriusChat shop does sell wheelskins leather steering wheel covers. Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover for 2004-2009 Toyota Prius by Wheelskins

Two-tone is a bit more coin
    [​IMG]

7. pkwhisker

pkwhisker Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Very interesting post... can you tell me how to unplug the center speaker of the JBL system?

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Lift the center speaker from dashboard and unplug the connector from it.

pkwhisker likes this.
  9. pkwhisker

pkwhisker Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! I will do that! Hate the speaker system compared to my solara.

10. gta_

gta_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I was able to just use a trim tool to pop-up the speaker grill. The speaker mounts to that grill, and I just unplugged it and put it back where it goes.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Ran most of its life with the centre speaker unplugged. It's a mono-speaker so it's just there to fill the sound but it doesn't do a very good job. It sounds too tinny.